'Memories are everything when they're all you have': Bride-to-be cancels her....

Started by OldGuy, April 19, 2019, 02:58:50 AM

ColonelJack

Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

OldGuy

Quote from: ColonelJack on April 19, 2019, 10:31:02 AM
Man, it got suddenly dusty in here.

Thank you for sharing that.

Jack

http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=24058.0

Fellow Airmen:

It is with an extremely heavy heart that I have to share the news that Tim Carey, Col., USAF (Ret.) and Lt. Col., CAP, died Thursday morning after a four-year battle with multiple unrelated cancers. He was 71.

His wife, Cathy, his daughter Becky and his son Chris were with him at the end.

For those who knew him, he was a joyful presence, modeling professionalism and enthusiasm for all things aviation. Many dozens of cadets -- adults now -- got their first taste of flight with Col. Carey in the left seat, always guiding, teaching, sharing his love of aviation on countless orientation ride flights. While it may have been only one of countless thousands of hours of flight for him, he recognized that it was hour number-one for some of his cadets, and he was often just as excited as that cadet for another chance to climb into the sky.

He also flew dozens of EAA Young Eagles in his own aircraft, his beloved Harmon Rocket II, 85 Tango Pop.

In CAP, he also flew dozens of Grand Slam counter drug missions as well as air-intercept training missions and real-world SAR and disaster-relief sorties. Always a teacher, Tim can also point to dozens of pilots and aircrew in CAP who learned their craft with him.

His 26 years of active U.S. Air Force service took him from the U.S. Air Force Academy straight to Vietnam, where he served with distinction flying Forward Air Control missions. He went on to fly F-4 Phantoms and F-4G Wild Weasels, flew as an instructor, and finished his career at HQ Air Force at the Pentagon, developing policy and overseeing important weapons programs as a full Colonel. Among his many decorations were: the Distinguished Flying Cross with 1 device, a Republic of Vietnam Gallantry Cross with 3 devices, the Legion of Merit, an Air Force Organizational Excellence Award with a Valor device, and 15 Air Medals.

On a personal note, Tim took me under his wing nearly as soon as I came back in to CAP in 2011 some 28 years after leaving CAP as a cadet. When command came around, I told Tim that I felt it was more appropriate that he assume command rather than me, based on his experience, his background and the clear respect he enjoyed among the rest of the squadron -- particularly our cadre of very seasoned, four- and five-figure hour pilots.

In typical fashion, not only did he reassure me that I could do the job, but he offered to support me and help me realize my goals for the squadron, whatever they were. He was my friend, my confidant and my mentor. A team player, a professional aviator, and a consummate teacher, Tim was a hero to his country and a hero to many of us. He certainly was a hero to me, and he will be sorely missed.

Please keep Tim, Cathy, Becky and Chris in your thoughts and prayers as they get through this difficult time.
Jim Mathews, Maj., CAP
Commander, VAWG Group 3

Lt. Col. Timothy N. Carey
Virginia Wing

Col. (Ret.) Timothy N. Carey, was born in Honolulu, HI on April 27, 1948, and passed away on March 28, 2019, in his home surrounded in love by his family after a long and courageous battle with cancer.

Tim had a love of flying since he was a young boy after being given his first flight as a birthday gift by his mom. He worked hard academically throughout his school years to receive an appointment to the Air Force Academy, where he graduated with the class of 1972. He then started his long and distinguished career with the Air Force for the next 28 years with assignments to the following bases: Pilot Training ATC, Randolph; Fighter Lead-in Training, TAC, Cannon; O-2/AGOS Training, TAC Hurlburt; O-2 Forward Air Controller Combat Upgrade IP, PACAF, Tan Son Nhut; T-37 IP, Class Comdr, DCO Exec Officer, IPIS Top Graduate, SOS Distinguished Graduate, ATC, Vance; ASTRA Officer, AF/IG, HQ USAF, Pentagon; Fighter Lead-in Training, TAC, Holloman; F-4E Training, TAC, MacDill; F-4E IP, Chief Upgrade Training, TAC, Moody, where he met his Southern Belle, Cathy and they were married; F-4G Training, TAC George; F-4G/F-4E IP/FE, Flight Comdr, Asst Chief Wing Stan/Eval, "USAFE, Spangdahlem; Armed Forces Staff College, NDU, Norfolk; Chief Air Ops Branch J-3 Joint Exercise Division, HQ USREDCOM, MacDill; Sqdn Ops Officer F4-E/G/F-16C, USAFE Spangdahlem; Chief CINC Programs Division, HQ TAC, Langley; Air War College, AU, Maxwell; Chief Mid East Div, AF/XOX, Chief Weapons Div, AF/XOF, HQ USAF Pentagon.

Among Tim's numerous awards and decorations throughout his Air Force career, included are: Vietnam Cross of Gallantry w/Silver Star, Vietnam Cross of Gallantry w/Bronze Star, 2 Distinguished Flying Crosses, 15 Air Medals, Legion of Merit DMSM/3MSM, 3 Air Force Commendation Medals, Vietnam Air Service Medal (Honor Class), and Vietnam Honorary Pilot Wings (1st Class).

After retiring from the Air Force, Tim began a 12 year civilian career path at BDM, TRW, and eventually Northrup Grumman. Missing flying and instructing his greatest interests, he again retired and became an instructor pilot with Dulles Aviation at Manassas Airport. During this time he became a member of the Civil Air Patrol and the Experimental Aircraft Assoc. Tim wore many hats with both organizations, was an avid volunteer, but loved sharing his joy and knowledge of flying with the young children interested in learning to fly. Tim had found his "beloved orange Harmon Rocket" by this time and was in his happy place as much as possible! He was a ready volunteer with the Young Eagle Program and the kids were always eager to get a ride in the Rocket, or as they would say, " that cool orange plane". Chris was able to make a trip to Oshkosh with Tim before he left for Korea to teach for 4 more years. Becky had many flights with him as she developed an interest in learning to fly. Cathy was game for "fair weather flights", even making a few long distance trips as well. We will all miss the orange Rocket in the sky!

Just before his passing, I was notified by the Civil Air Patrol Commander that Tim had been awarded the Frank G. Brewer, Sr. CAP Memorial Aerospace Lifetime Award. He would have been very humbled and honored to receive this award.

Tim is survived by his loving wife, Catherine E. Carey (nee Roberson), son, Christopher Hunter Carey, daughter, Rebecca Anne Carey, and brother Mike Carey (Suzanne).