Main Menu

Worst drill stories

Started by Extremepredjudice, September 14, 2011, 07:02:37 AM

Extremepredjudice

Post your stories of the worst drill you've seen. Or epic drill fails.

I will start us off. 8)

So I am at some highschool football game cause my friend invited me.
The school's JROTC color guard is presenting colors...

They march the the center of the field, out of step, almost drop the flags, and drop a rifle. Both flags, including the US flag, go to present. Then halfway through the anthem the US flag realises he isn't supposed to present, and lifts the flag back up. Then he calls left about, and the whole team executes a half right about, and drops their squadron(or platoon) colors.

The junior bearer decides he should break formation and retrieve the flag. The US flag panics and calls mark halt.(fail) 2 stop and one starts mark timing. The other two start when the one guy stops...
Then the junior flag is back, and they finally get off the field...
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

a2capt

I think this topic is kind of intermixed here too.

Edit: As for the CG .. umm.. just. Wow. WTH? In all the CG practices and competitions I've been to, I can't say I've ever seen a flag dropped. We had one slide down the pole at NCC.. but it wasn't dropped.

Al Sayre

So I went down to Harbor Freight and bought this Black and Decker knock off... 
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

a2capt

LOL, okay. I'm not the only one that thought that.. though I refrained .. ;)

Huey Driver

Once, we were doing a CG indoors for a cadet's Mitchell ceremony in a restaurant with a not-quite-tall-enough ceiling. Needless to say our American flagpole hit the ceiling in the way in, and our squadron flagpole hit the ceiling on the way out. Very embarrassing, thank god I'm on rifles.
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

lordmonar

Okay.....

One day at band camp......we were practicing for a full AFROTC parade.  I was the Flight Guide and during Officers Center when I presented arms with the guideon the spear came off and flew about 20 feet....almost took out my flight commander, my squadron commander and the reviewing officer!

Next time I will aim better!  >:D
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

DakRadz

Quote from: Al Sayre on September 14, 2011, 04:29:52 PM
So I went down to Harbor Freight and bought this Black and Decker knock off... 
Iunno about knockoff. This Binford is a top-of-the-line, perfect epitome of what the name implies...
Remember, being a Binford is srs bssn.

But since we're taking that route-

Extremeprejudice, please explain to me the value of your post. What does it contribute to our website? How does it help others excel and advance?
What good does it do to post stories and make fun of those who cannot defend themselves? You do realize this categorizes under "talking behind the backs" of the JROTC unit in question.

Trust me, I've been responsible for some CAP events that turned out not so hot, and I'd already been doing the same thing with JROTC for 2 years before I even joined CAP!
Stuff happens. I don't see how talking about how horrible something we witnessed would help- the Tall Tales subforum placement also indicates that you don't have constructive intentions with this post.

Extremepredjudice

Something amusing?

Lols are good for the soul. 8)
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Salty

Sorry for the necro but I thought I'd share what happened in my flight during USAF BMT.

We were standing out on the drill grounds in formation waiting our turn to leave.  We always marched to and from the drill grounds every morning as a squadron of four flights.  This guy in my flight really had to use the bathroom but for whatever reason was afraid to tell the TI.  We stood there for a long time and all of a sudden there was movement around this guy.  Keep in mind he was about dead center in our flight so he was surrounded.  I was the shortest guy in the flight so I had a good view of the entire flight and I noticed a puddle was forming around this guy's feet.  Needless to say this guy urinated in his uniform right in the middle of our flight formation.  The only funny part was watching all the guys around him try to move out of the way of the growing puddle without bringing attention to themselves.

We all felt bad for the guy and it still remains the worst thing I've ever seen while in formation.
CAP Cadet 1989-1994
CAP Senior Member 1994-1995, 2011-current
USAF Aeromedical Technician 1994-1998