Glider qualification as a Paraglider pilot

Started by desert rat, February 15, 2007, 07:40:36 AM

desert rat

Can being trained as a Paraglider pilot and certified qualify someone for glider wings?  They go through some very tough training and they soar just like gliders do.

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Al Sayre

From CAPR 35-6:
Quotef. CAP Glider Pilot Rating. Qualified CAP pilot in accordance with CAPR 60-1 and hold at least a Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) glider private pilot certificate.[/qoute]

(Emphasis mine)
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

desert rat

I tried paragliding for the first time yesterday.  I will never ever do it again.  My first attempt with the instructor tied tandem resulted in disaster.  We were being wenched up into the air by a winch and truck.  We had to run, but I must have tripped or something because we went face down into the dirt.

I then tried again and had a nice flight.  After it was over I started feeling pain.  took of my jacket to reveal bleeding arms with severe abrasion and lacerations.  I sprained my ankle and my wrist.  Today is not a fun day.

This is a dangerous way to fly.  I want wings and wheels under me if I ever fly for fun again.

Flying Pig

The answer is no.   Unlike Paragliding, Glider pilots take the FAA Written, oral, and check ride.  There are specific FARs relating to glider pilot training.  Aside from the weather principles they use to stay aloft they have nothing else in common.