Squadron commander term limit?

Started by cadet zimmerman, January 21, 2011, 11:58:26 PM

cadet zimmerman

what regulation talks about the term length of the squadron commander?
Kyle S. B. Zimmerman
C/MSgt CAP
In between squadrons

Eclipse

None - depends on the prerogative of the Wing or Region CC.  Many are now holding CC's to 3 years no more than 4, but that is not consistent across the organization.

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

There is a CAWG Operating Instruction that was issued May 2008 that covers this within your scope of probable interest:

http://www.cawg.cap.gov/Files/Pubs/OI/OI_02.pdf
From this page: http://www.cawg.cap.gov/html/Pubs/orders.htm

"four years max", the first being probationary, then a two year term of appointment and an optional fourth year.

cadet zimmerman

does anyone know if there is one in WAWG?
Kyle S. B. Zimmerman
C/MSgt CAP
In between squadrons

Eclipse

Quote from: cadet zimmerman on January 22, 2011, 12:19:39 AM
does anyone know if there is one in WAWG?

You're in California, why are you interested?

"That Others May Zoom"

cadet zimmerman

lol not anymore I havent changed my signature yet
Kyle S. B. Zimmerman
C/MSgt CAP
In between squadrons

Eclipse

Quote from: cadet zimmerman on January 22, 2011, 12:30:44 AM

Ok, fair enough.

Next question - why are you questioning CC's terms and PT policies of your new unit publicly?

"That Others May Zoom"

ßτε

Larry Mangum

Nor changed squadron. You are still assigned to PCR-CA-445
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

RiverAux

Quote from: Eclipse on January 22, 2011, 01:03:56 AM

Ok, fair enough.

Next question - why are you questioning CC's terms and PT policies of your new unit publicly?
Where did he "question" any such policy?  He just asked if there was one. 

And even if he did "question" his wing's policy in this area, so what?  Thats what we do here all the time. 

Westernslope

Quote from: Larry Mangum on January 22, 2011, 03:52:23 AM
Nor changed squadron. You are still assigned to PCR-CA-445

I am curious. How do you know he is still assigned to this squadron. I am sure that you would not misuse permissions in e-services to check the location of a cadet not in your unit or even in your Region.

SarDragon

Anyone (possibly restricted to SMs) with eServices access can type in part of a name, do a search, and come up with a member's name, unit, CAPID, and rank/grade. The 'part of a name' ensures that you be able to access someone with a unique name. I don't see that as a misuse of permissions.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Camas

Quote from: Westernslope on January 22, 2011, 04:52:03 AM
I am sure that you would not misuse permissions in e-services to check the location of a cadet not in your unit or even in your Region.
Quote from: SarDragon on January 22, 2011, 05:19:27 AM
I don't see that as a misuse of permissions.
Correct. If you have the permissions you're not abusing anything in e-services. There's alot in e-services that's restricted but that's not the issue at hand here. Commanders have a pile of stuff they can get into but once their tour of command is over that all goes.

SarDragon

This is available through Member Search on the left side menu. No special permissions required. It is not a Restricted Application.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Quote from: RiverAux on January 22, 2011, 04:37:19 AM
Where did he "question" any such policy?  He just asked if there was one. 

And even if he did "question" his wing's policy in this area, so what?  Thats what we do here all the time.

This is called "reading between the lines", which is what most people here did immediately on his rapid-fire posts.

First about CC term limits, second about PT schedules.  Once you've been doing this a while you can see the patterns.

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

You have to admit, statistically speaking - people don't ask these kinds of things unless they have an issue with something.

Generally it's related to "we didn't do this that way at my other unit.. " and sometimes it's just differences in execution, other times it's something plainly wrong being routed out. At one end, or the other.

manfredvonrichthofen

Maybe he wants to better understand CAP? Why not just give someone the benefit of the doubt? Instead of attacking him right off, help him with the answer and ask if something is wrong.

Like this.

Zimmerman, the regulation on unit commanders varies by region and sometimes by wing, depending on how the wing has set it up. You might try checking your wing's personal regulations, they can often be found on the wing website.
Is there something wrong, or is this a curiosity?

RADIOMAN015

I don't think there needs to be any term limits on commanders UNLESS there's an indicator that there's a problem in the unit.
e.g. fails sui's, no new recruits, high turnover of senior members, no progression of seniors and cadets, many complaints.
RM

Eclipse

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on January 23, 2011, 02:18:28 AM
I don't think there needs to be any term limits on commanders UNLESS there's an indicator that there's a problem in the unit.
e.g. fails sui's, no new recruits, high turnover of senior members, no progression of seniors and cadets, many complaints.

So no new ideas?  No opportunity for someone else to do the job?

Just let somebody park themselves for 20 years?

"That Others May Zoom"

SARDOC

Quote from: Eclipse on January 23, 2011, 02:22:02 AM
Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on January 23, 2011, 02:18:28 AM

So no new ideas?  No opportunity for someone else to do the job?

Just let somebody park themselves for 20 years?

Why not some have done it for much longer?

http://www.capvolunteernow.com/todays_features.cfm/nys_pantanelli_relinquishes_command_of_namesake_squadron?show=news&newsID=9531