Wing Confrence and Cadets

Started by Daniel, September 09, 2009, 01:36:08 AM

Daniel

Hey, my commander is taking me to wing conference this year, and I have a few questions.

1) where does a cadet fit in at wing conference? (what will I be doing.)

2) As a C/SrA will I fit in?

C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Wright Brothers No. 12670
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

Flying Pig

Youll do just fine.  Be be courteous and dont be surprised if you get roped into helping here and there.  And dont let all those old people scare you. 

Daniel

Quote from: Flying Pig on September 09, 2009, 01:39:43 AM
Youll do just fine.  Be be courteous and dont be surprised if you get roped into helping here and there.  And dont let all those old people scare you.

Being courteous, like encampment courteous? ( I tried to shake my flight commanders hand and he looked at me like I was retarded.)
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Wright Brothers No. 12670
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

EMT-83

I'd try to get a look at the schedule, and make sure that you have the proper uniform(s). CTWG conference is next month, and cadet activities range from field exercises to the cadet ball. BDUs to dress blues will be required.

Remember your C&Cs and be polite, you'll do fine. You'll meet some great people and see that there's more to CAP than what happens in the squadron.

Eclipse

Quote from: Daniel L on September 09, 2009, 01:47:04 AM
Quote from: Flying Pig on September 09, 2009, 01:39:43 AM

Being courteous, like encampment courteous? ( I tried to shake my flight commanders hand and he looked at me like I was retarded.)

Yes, like encampment courteous - you're not only going to be fairly low on the food chain, but you're going to be in public as well.  I have no idea what your FC's issue was, but there's no reason you can't shake a superior's hand, especially in CAP.

Since you're going with your Commander, you may be asked to help out with setup or other tasks. This is a great way to network.  Make sure they know you are there and know you are coming so they can slot you into whatever cadet activities and seminars they have scheduled.

"That Others May Zoom"

addo1

Quote from: Daniel L on September 09, 2009, 01:36:08 AM
Hey, my commander is taking me to wing conference this year, and I have a few questions.

1. A cadet can fit in a LOT of ways... There are usually classes to attend, people to meet...
2. Why not? I went to my wing conference as a chief... I was the highest ranking cadet there besides two officers... most were C/Amn and people your grade... You should fit in just fine, and if you dont for some reason, make yourself useful and people will enjoy that. :)
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP
Coordinator, Texas Wing International Air Cadet Exchange

National Cadet Advisory Council 2010

STG3, USN

My Wing always had a general assembly and then breakout sessions if your wing is the same way then you will probally end up going to the cadet program sessions.

STGSN Nellenbach, USN
Former C/Lt Col, CAP

Airrace

notaNCO forever

Wing conferences are great ways to meet fellow cadets from other squadrons; I'm sure you'll have a good time. You also get a chance to meet interesting people, for the last couple years CTWG has had Mary Feik invited to and attend the conferences.

Pylon

Not sure about your Wing, but in New York Wing they run "Cadet Fest" concurrent with the Wing Conference, so there are always plenty of planned activities to entertain and engage cadets while they're at wing conference.  Hopefully there are a least a few planned sessions or activities with cadets in mind.

As was mentioned above my post, a lot of wing conferences begin with a general assembly where everyone present gets a briefing from officials, typically including the Wing Commander.  There might also be awards presentations during or after this.  A lot of conferences then have a variety of different break-out sessions, lectures or discussion groups that members can choose to attend based on their interests.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Gunner C

Let us know how it went after you get back.

Flying Pig

One of the biggest things I try to get across to new Seniors and Cadets both is GET AWAY FROM THE SQUADRON!!!

You will have a new found enjoyment for CAP when you actually get out there and do stuff with other members and go places.   

Chappie

Quote from: Flying Pig on September 16, 2009, 03:50:47 PM
One of the biggest things I try to get across to new Seniors and Cadets both is GET AWAY FROM THE SQUADRON!!!

You will have a new found enjoyment for CAP when you actually get out there and do stuff with other members and go places.   

Here...here!!!!  Can attest to that having been at many events (National Staff College - 4x; National Board/Conference - 3x; Region Conference - 2x; Wing Conference - 9x; Chaplain Corps Region Staff College - 10x; Encampment - 11x) and not to mention all the SLS/CLC/UCC...BCS/ATS training where I served on staff as well as SARXs and actual missions.  Take advantage of every opportunity CAP offers to get away from the local squadron (while it is a great place to hang out) and interact with other CAP members from across the nation.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

C/MSgt Lunsford

I'm going as a C/A1C, so if I'm going to be fine, you'll be fine ;)

Wright Brothers #13915

Major Carrales

I think those Wing Conferences that do not offer some cadet specific training are missing out on a great opportunity.  That would be a great place for some quick refresher training, open sessions with some of the gathered CAP Brass where cadets could respectfully have questions answered or propose directly to leadership the sorts of activities they might want to see the Wing set up for the next calendar year.

If properly planned, an Airman Leadership School, CADET GES FORUM, CADET COMMUNICATIONS Class or one day D&C course...but, some would say that CAP Officers would be too busy to do something like that at a Wing Conference.  It would cut into the schmoozing and other networking time,  however it would provide the most concentrated CAP experience and nexus of Leadership than is normally possible due to travel.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

arajca

For the past few years, I have expressly invited cadets to participate in the communications meetings, however, the conference organizers and CAC have dictated the cadets can only attend the Cadet Classes. I (and my staff) don't have time at the conf to do a cadet only comm class.

What's the logic in prohibiting cadets from mingling with seniors in other seminars?

Major Carrales

Quote from: arajca on September 20, 2009, 08:35:51 PM
For the past few years, I have expressly invited cadets to participate in the communications meetings, however, the conference organizers and CAC have dictated the cadets can only attend the Cadet Classes. I (and my staff) don't have time at the conf to do a cadet only comm class.

What's the logic in prohibiting cadets from mingling with seniors in other seminars?

There is no logic in it.  In an organization where I have seen Cadets almost solely run the radio shack, thus allowing pilots who would otherwise "be stuck" on the radio to actually fly, it is nonsensical not to allow cadets into a COMM class.

I'm sure there are some where cadets have no "business," however, some (like seminars dealing with changes to ES that will effect ES cadets) are relevant to them.  Also, our cadets in ES need to be held to that higher standard commiserate to the importance of the roles they play in ES. 

If the idea is that the cadets will "cut up" or make "ridiculous comments," I can attest that I have been in some seminars (Wing Finance, Aviation Policy Change) that bordered on rebellion and other where a proximate person had to make a comment after every sentence (complete with "elbow jab" accompaniment).

I should think that any cadet serious enough to attend a Wing Conference would boast the base maturity not to "cut up" in a room that will likely have Colonels and Wing staff among the crowd.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

heliodoc

Long time problem in CAP

It is ridiculous not to let a cadet participate.  It may even force some of those "mature" senior members to grow up.

CAP has been bent on the Cadet Program for so long that they have forgot about them and what is even more ridiculous is allowing all the legal types to keep cadets away from "18 and above activities."  Some cadets could teach alot of us a few things. 

I am a SM and after 30 years, CAP has only grown more silly in legalities and hasn't found a way to allow more cadet activities.  Yeah, I know, Papa 1AF says so that's who....

ALL cadets if they have the time, gumption, and wait one......... more dough to spend on this..then they can make up their minds if this is a "Great CAP activity" or not as touted by some Wings, as if they are the greatest shows on Earth.....

Cadet Daniel L......... you will fit in....... don't let all that grade and rank scare or intimidate you..I have seen SM's  from  30 yrs back when I was a cadet...  those folks are STILL going to Wing Conferences for social activities!!!! ::) ::) ::) ::)