Encampment in the '60s

Started by Cadet Dinosaur, July 31, 2006, 09:19:50 PM

Cadet Dinosaur

I am a very formerly CAP Cadet from '62 to '68 back in the days when we had some real WORK encampments rubbing shoulders with Air Force Personnel at the functional level; sometimes too functional- ever done USAF KP? It only took a modest screwup! I have many tales of Florida Wing in this period. Subjects like; altitude chamber flights, Parachute training, ejection seat training, and- oh, yes!- flying backseat in US fighter trainer aircraft of the Century Series (F100-106). Rather than attempt listings why doesn't someone just ask a 'what was it like then?' question on some issue and I'll attempt to entertain you.  Ready the engines on the wayback machine!!!!                                                 

wingnut

;D
Yes I remember when. . .
KP at the Wright Patterson AFB Chow Hall, marching to the AF Museum, watching the SAC B52s do a full alert takeoff. yea baby brown shirt AF, dark blue wool shirt with the blue tie, C47 cadet o-rides

JohnKachenmeister

Hey, Wingnut...

I was at WPAFB in the old "H" barracks in 1964 and 1965.  We're you there when the Staff played "Hang On Sloopy" on the P.A. system over and over until we puked?
Another former CAP officer

PA Guy

I attended the MDWG encampment held at Charleston AFB, SC in 1962.  We flew down on C-123s, had O'rides in C-124s and flew home on C-121s.  Those were the days of Shade 1 khakis with the tie tucked in between the 2nd and 3rd button.

SarDragon

I did my NJWG encampment at McGuire AFB in 1967. Don't recall the o-ride we got, but do recall the musty, olde, used once a year barracks. The food was better than what I got in my HS cafeteria, and I didn't have the opportunity for KP. Drat the luck. As a matter of fact, I've not spent a single day working in a military chow hall.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

BillB

Aww  the 60's when cadets and seniors could yell at the Doolies. When barracks inspections ended up with beds ripped apart and tossed around. But I'd bet any Doolie from a 60's encampment that's still in CAP can remember everything he learned about making beds, that the left foot is not on the right side of the body, and exact measurements of insignia placement.
Having commanded 10 encampments in the 60's (Florida Wing ran two, two week encampments back to back) and been on staff for 00's encampments, there is no comparison, and not near half the fun for Doolies to look back on.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Becks

Quote from: PA Guy on December 20, 2006, 11:11:47 PM
I attended the MDWG encampment held at Charleston AFB, SC in 1962.  We flew down on C-123s, had O'rides in C-124s and flew home on C-121s.  Those were the days of Shade 1 khakis with the tie tucked in between the 2nd and 3rd button.

Have any photos? Id love to see what our base looked like back then.

BBATW

PA Guy

Sorry, I don't think I have any.  It has been a long time.

AlphaSigOU

Don't forget us former cadinks who did their basic encampments in the 70s!  ;D Not as hard core as those in the 60s, but much of the same stuff - doing enough pushups to press the earth down a couple of inches, trashed beds and lockers, etc.

I miss those days... :(
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Al Sayre

Dragging your mattress back up a flight of stairs will do wonders for your bed making skills...   :D
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

BillB

I understand that a year or so ago there were plans to hold a "volunteer" 60's type non-CAP encampment. Cadets could volunteer to attend after it was explained to parents what was involved. At the end of the encampment, the cadets, who had previously attended a moden encampment were to evaluate the 60's style encampment. But last I'd heard, nothing was done to attempt the activity.
It would have been interesting to see which style cadets enjoyed more, and which provided better learning opportunities for cadets.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Al Sayre

I'd really like to see that happen.  When I went in the 70's, we got to throw live grenades, shoot M-16's, expand our vocabularies  ;) and do all kinds of cool stuff that is frowned upon now...  >:D
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

MIKE

Some encampments still get to shoot M-16s.  IIRC CAWG does, and there may be a few others.  MAWG has at least done the FATS in recent years for smaller numbers of cadets.

Live grenades won't fly, but the ones with the practice fuses might be OK.
Mike Johnston

carnold1836

I remember going to an encampment in the late 80s. We got to shoot m-16s, throw grendades, run a rifle/bayonet course, live fire night infiltration and gas chamber. It was a blast.

Wait, come to think of it I wasn't in CAP back then.

That's right I was at basic training at Ft. Polk, LA. GAWD did that suck.

"Never mind" (Roseanne Rosanadana)

;D
Chris Arnold, 1st Lt, CAP
Pegasus Composite Squadron

BillB

DO YOU REMEMBER
Cadets shoulder patches being carefully cut off during uniform inspections because they were incorrect as to measurements?
Cadets standing by beds while the bed was torn apart because measurements were off or sloppy
Do you remember having to learn a page or two of the Panic Button? The How of The Cow? The correct answer to what time is it? And so on.
Do you remember when cadets were flown to encampments in C-141's or C-130's from all over the Wing or Region?
The great support from USAF placing all encampments at USAF Bases and going all out to support of CAP?
The fun you had being yelled at and made to do pushups, a sort of mini-boot camp (that wasn't fun until after you left encampment)?
If you can remember, obviously you're not a cadet  from after 1985 because most of the fun ended with CPPT requirements.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Psicorp

Quote from: BillB on December 21, 2006, 09:25:16 PM
DO YOU REMEMBER
Cadets shoulder patches being carefully cut off during uniform inspections because they were incorrect as to measurements?
Cadets standing by beds while the bed was torn apart because measurements were off or sloppy
Do you remember having to learn a page or two of the Panic Button? The How of The Cow? The correct answer to what time is it? And so on.
Do you remember when cadets were flown to encampments in C-141's or C-130's from all over the Wing or Region?
The great support from USAF placing all encampments at USAF Bases and going all out to support of CAP?
The fun you had being yelled at and made to do pushups, a sort of mini-boot camp (that wasn't fun until after you left encampment)?
If you can remember, obviously you're not a cadet  from after 1985 because most of the fun ended with CPPT requirements.

Oh I dunno...my first encampment back in 1994 was a lot like that.   Of course, that was Florida Wing ;)

Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

Becks

Quote from: MIKE on December 21, 2006, 05:28:25 PM
Some encampments still get to shoot M-16s.  IIRC CAWG does, and there may be a few others.  MAWG has at least done the FATS in recent years for smaller numbers of cadets.

Live grenades won't fly, but the ones with the practice fuses might be OK.

This year our STF cadets fired M4's and attended the grenade range with some Marines.

BBATW

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: SarDragon on December 20, 2006, 11:38:44 PMThe food was better than what I got in my HS cafeteria, and I didn't have the opportunity for KP. Drat the luck. As a matter of fact, I've not spent a single day working in a military chow hall.

I did... I was once an 'aerospace food service technician' (read: cook) when I did my time in Ma Blue. Never had to do KP, though.

DEATH FROM WITHIN!!!!

P.S. If any encampment wants to borrow my skills as a cook, I hung up my chef's hat and whites over 20 years ago... so don't ask!
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Stonewall

New here, so I'm going through some old threads...

My first encampment was 1987.  I about cried within 3 minutes of arrival as I turned around (at parade rest) to see my ride leaving me there for 7 days.  I got a 341 for turning around and didn't even know what a 341 was at the time.

I got my wing patch cut off of my blues because it was centered on the crease and not the epaulet.

I got my bunk trashed more than once.

I got yelled at numerous times in the chow hall for whatever reason.

I marched and marched and marched...

I did push-ups at 0300 for not challenging the Cadet Commander while I was on "night watch".  I mean, I saw him from a distance and recognized him, but the point they were trying to teach me was to challenge everyone.

Formations after chow...for hours on in.  Or it seemed so.  Probably only lasted 15 minutes, but when you're 14 that's a lifetime.

Not being able to call home. 

Having real life PJs from Vietnam talk about their experiences and watching videos of them getting shot up as the rescued pilots.

Overall, it just being a hard-a$$ enviornment, one that I haven't forgotten 20 years later.
Serving since 1987.

SAR-EMT1

Ok... Ill ask a "way-back" question:
In the 60's 70's and 80's what was "THE ENCAMPMENT" - ae: the one cadets dreamed of being accepted too.
-Im assuming here that it wasnt Blue Beret as it is nowadays. -
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student