Japanese CAP fashion!?!

Started by bd5av8r, March 13, 2017, 04:41:16 AM

bd5av8r

In https://medium.com/@rodrakic/civil-air-patrol-is-the-hot-new-fashion-brand-in-japan-this-spring-709de807b153#.4j4j245e4

It seems CAP is all the rage in Japan. Maybe I can get new uniform items there cheaper than Vanguard. lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Greetings from SC!

Майор Хаткевич

I'll take a Great ILWG Lakes Region coat!

Spam

Wow - according to their online catalog, that BDU shirt she's wearing (with patches) is for sale for 12,960 yen, which is about $113.00.

Quick while the fashion is hot, lets box up all our old BDUs with insignia and find someone over there to take them - we can more than fund our ABU conversion at that rate!

V/r
Spam

(just waiting on the C&D to come out...)

NIN

That would be an ITC case.  Not as simple as a C&D

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

AirAux

Well, the reason I have been in 37 years this time is because of the uniform.  I am going to start ordering mine from Avirex as they seem to have neater patches...

Angus

Quote from: bd5av8r on March 13, 2017, 04:41:16 AM
In https://medium.com/@rodrakic/civil-air-patrol-is-the-hot-new-fashion-brand-in-japan-this-spring-709de807b153#.4j4j245e4

It seems CAP is all the rage in Japan. Maybe I can get new uniform items there cheaper than Vanguard. lol

I was wondering the same thing, but it turns out they're actually even more expensive than VG.  Plus they muck up the patches on the sleeves.
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

winterg

You don't even have to order from overseas. I saw this last week in the front window of Jimmy Jaz in the mall. Must be for Hawk Mountain grads. :)

Transmitted via my R5 astromech.

Angus

I wonder how much longer they'll be allowed to continue making product.  I wouldn't be surprised if the big V calls them out.
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

NIN

Quote from: Angus on March 13, 2017, 06:28:13 PM
I wonder how much longer they'll be allowed to continue making product.  I wouldn't be surprised if the big V calls them out.

Don't be surprised if it doesn't happen.

There is a world of difference between sending a C&D letter to a ma & pa shop doing nametags in Toledo, and a huge clothing manufacturer located overseas.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

An American company sending a C&D to a manufacturer in the PAC-Rim because they are producing
something that violates its intellectual property?

"That Others May Zoom"

Brad

I'll bet the members in Okinawa, Yokota, and Misawa are feeling like rock stars right about now, heh.

Edit: What Eclipse said. I'd be moreso surprised to find out East Asia knock-offs weren't being made.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

bd5av8r

These companies are selling their wares in the US. That's where a cease and desist order will have teeth. However it may dent the ability to recruit people who may see and wear our TP signature series uniforms lol

Greetings from SC!

Cebman21

This to me is hilarious, a company from Japan is selling out of reg Civil air patrol uniforms? But, if you search amazon prime printed CAP shirts are everywhere.
Mitchell award 66931

Eclipse

Quote from: bd5av8r on March 13, 2017, 06:54:58 PM
These companies are selling their wares in the US. That's where a cease and desist order will have teeth.

Avirex is a deep subsidiary of one of the largest brand management & IP licensing companies in the world.

They are likely well aware of where the line is, not to mention would be a somewhat "formidable" opponent
for VG, and then you'd have to show damages, which are basically zero, since they aren't competing in VG's market,
nor selling much of anything VG sells.

Might make for interesting case law, though.

"That Others May Zoom"

bd5av8r

[quote

Might make for interesting case law, though.
[/quote]

Now that's a courtroom I'd love to see what is going on in it. :)

Greetings from SC!

Luis R. Ramos

Maybe I am missing something here, but I thought Avirex was an American company?

About four to six blocks from where I used to live in Long Island City in the borough of Queens in New York City? Now I live in another section of NYC...

From https://www.bbb.org/new-york-city/business-reviews/sporting-goods-wholesale-and-manufacturers/avirex-ltd-in-long-island-city-ny-534

Avirex Ltd.
43 years in business
33-00 47th Avenue
Long Island City, NY 11101

Although BBB also reports it as "Out of Business."

???
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Eclipse

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on March 13, 2017, 08:32:08 PM
Maybe I am missing something here, but I thought Avirex was an American company?

They still are, but as I said, they are now owned by a brand management company.  Also they
have different clothing lines in Europe, Japan, and the US.

Avirex was sold in 2006 to Eckō Unltd., which then sold them to Iconix Brand Group in 2013.

Heck, for all we know they are a licensee.

"That Others May Zoom"

Luis R. Ramos

Still, Iconix Brand Group has offices in Manhattan, New York City.

Why are people here talking about "an American company suing a company in the Pac Rim."

Where is the office of Iconix Brand Group?

Although I do not think it would matter. As Eclipse pointed out, I think and others hinted, this would be a very difficult case to take to court.

Avirex is not selling these products in the US, so Vanguard's market is not affected. Vanguard would not sell these items in Japan, since there is no "Civil Air Patrol" in Japan aside from the squadron in Yokosuka, I believe. Again, no effect in Vanguard's market. It does not matter whether Avirex is American or in Asia.

I still want to know why people in here are saying "an American company sending a C&D to a company in the Pac Rim."

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Eclipse

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on March 13, 2017, 08:48:23 PM
I still want to know why people in here are saying "an American company sending a C&D to a company in the Pac Rim."

From the best I can tell, Avirex US is owned by Iconix Brand Group, but Avirex Japan is owned by Ueno-Shokai, Ltd.

http://www.uenoshokai.com/shopandbrand/index.html

http://www.uenoshokai.com/shopandbrand/list.html#avirex

Also, as mentioned, and it certainly looks that way from the photos, one of Avirex's things is "vintage", so
it's possible the actual CAP insignia are NOS or secondary market.

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

Hey, they got some sweet, sweet dark blue nametapes. No ultramarine for high fashion.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP