Forming a New Unit- Making the Investment and Taking the Gamble

Started by Major Carrales, January 12, 2007, 04:52:40 PM

Major Carrales

Forming a New Unit- Making the Investment and Taking the Gamble

Background:When I first joined CAP in 1998, I joined a unit that was almost 200 miles from my home.  There was another unit, the one of which I am a member now, that is merely 80 miles away.  In that time I was a member of that first unit, I was encouraged to try to "form a unit" in a city that was more proximate.  I had been in CAP three months when this charge was made.

Issue: Forming units is a major investment that exists at three levels, 1) The local Sponsor that seeks the unit 2) the WING/GROUP and 3) the nearest units.

I have been trying to get a unit in that location for some 8 years now and have made lots of connections, but all that has happened is that we have recruited people from that area (four over the years).

I know Iowa has experimented with "CAP stations."

I submit that proximate Squadrons have to make an investment in any would be unit for it to take off.  Isolated flights of inexperienced people seem to be destined for failure.

Comments...solutions... and, most impoortant to me, DISCUSSION...
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

carnold1836

Any time you try to get something started from scratch is, by definition, difficult. It does take a ton of blood, sweat and tears. All this can be made easier if you have some folks that are willing to assist in the creation of this new unit. You absolutely need the assistance from squadrons that are "close" by. I understand that nothing is close to anything, I went to Texas A&I during the first part of my college career in the late 80s and Cousins Hall is named for my Great-great Grandfather. If I'm not mistaken, Corpus (where you are now), McAllen, Victoria, and Brownsville Are the only squadrons in your area to pull assistance from. and these are so spread out that you could only get to see them maybe once every other month or so.

Thus you have to rely on the cyber wing that is being created here at CAPTalk.net. I think this is probably your best resource for assistance just as you are using it now. If I could I would love to visit each and every squadron in TXWG an meet everyone, but that is not really possible due to distances we deal with in Texas.

That is why I have the opportunity to meet as many people as possible during wing conference. I know I am rambling now so I will stop before I go to much longer making no sense.
Chris Arnold, 1st Lt, CAP
Pegasus Composite Squadron

Major Carrales

Quote from: carnold1836 on January 12, 2007, 06:12:53 PM
Any time you try to get something started from scratch is, by definition, difficult. It does take a ton of blood, sweat and tears. All this can be made easier if you have some folks that are willing to assist in the creation of this new unit. You absolutely need the assistance from squadrons that are "close" by. I understand that nothing is close to anything, I went to Texas A&I during the first part of my college career in the late 80s and Cousins Hall is named for my Great-great Grandfather. If I'm not mistaken, Corpus (where you are now), McAllen, Victoria, and Brownsville Are the only squadrons in your area to pull assistance from. and these are so spread out that you could only get to see them maybe once every other month or so.

Thus you have to rely on the cyber wing that is being created here at CAPTalk.net. I think this is probably your best resource for assistance just as you are using it now. If I could I would love to visit each and every squadron in TXWG an meet everyone, but that is not really possible due to distances we deal with in Texas.

That is why I have the opportunity to meet as many people as possible during wing conference. I know I am rambling now so I will stop before I go to much longer making no sense.

Those units still exist, but now Group HQ is in San Antonio.  Consolidation of the GROUPS in Texas was a boon and a boondoggle in many ways, in my opinion.  I now means that SLS, CLC Cadet, ALS, CAdet CAC and a whole host of other things are now done in San Antonio.  Brownsville is miles distant to Corpus Chrsiti and several times more distant to San Antonio.   

I beleive that units need to exist in that "CAP GAP," but how realistic was it to tell me...a then 20 year-old college student who fell in love with CAP from the word go, to make a unit in an isolated area and then offer no assistance?

Once our unit is strong in Corpus Christi, say in 2008-2009, there will be a renewed effort to form a unit in KINGSVILLE, Texas and then maybe ALICE, Texas.  At least know I will be in the know of what CAP is.  Edinburgh and Harlingen too might support a unit.  Imagine that...

When that time comes I will need your "cyber-help" more than ever!!!
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

RiverAux

Sounds like you really need to take the jump and actually try to start a unit.  I'm not surprised that you've only gotten a few recruits from your town willing to drive 80 miles to the next unit.  But, if you find a hq, make a big recruiting push you could get a unit going there.  People are more likely to join once they know an actual unit is going to be in their town.  Being in CAP for so long you know the ropes and could probably handle it without a lot of support from other squadrons, depending on your current ES specialties. 

In general though you're right that the chance of a new unit surviving is almost nil unless there is an experienced CAP member leading it or it is close enough to get significant support from another unit. 

lordmonar

:-[
This is where I think CAP is failing.  It should take one phone call to wing or group...to say...."hey I got 3 freinds who want to form a squadron here in town" and they should be feilding a team to make it happen.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

arajca

Having tried to start a unit, I'll give you one piece of advice - Get your wing commander's 100% full blessing and authority in writing and in front of witnesses.

I had sufficient interest, included a squadron commander who was willing to hold some regular unit meetings in my area to help ensure the potential members would have a good idea of what they were getting into, however, the wing commander, after seeing we were close to meeting his demands, informed us that, after he talked with National, a unit could not have two meeting places, and there was no way he would ever allow it. Nevermind that several units in the wing already have multiple meeting places - including one whose meeting places are ~100 miles apart, he was not going to let us do that.