The New Cadet Recruiting Brochure

Started by RiverAux, December 27, 2008, 03:31:28 AM

Stonewall

Quote from: Pumbaa on December 29, 2008, 05:45:43 PM
Hmmm... I find the opposite....

And I find the opposite of your experience.  My experience resembles Timbo's.

Quote from: Pumbaa on December 29, 2008, 05:45:43 PMAnother heading to Army Rangers,

Should read, heading into the Army with the hopes of becoming an Army Ranger.

Now, back on topic after our slight veer...

I  have yet to really mind any CAP membership brochure, but I often wonder who is ultimately responsible for creating and approving what becomes available for nationwide distribution...the face of CAP.

I think "cadets in action" is critical, but it is possible to seek out and select the right people for the job.  Just because a picture is taken of a cadet flying, doesn't mean it's the right picture.  It isn't difficult to actually stage pictures for a brochure.  Why not get cadets who a. meet our own uniform standards, b. meet height & weight requirements, and c. someone whose demeanor and physical poise projects a strong positive image.  Sort of a means to get perspective cadet members to say "wow, I could be like him".
Serving since 1987.

jimmydeanno

These brochures were created to fill the gap between the run out of the "opportunity knocks" and whatever is coming down the pipeline.  Since they ran out without a replacement a hard working NHQ staffer (not in the PA shop) who shall remain nameless designed them so that the membership could continue to have recruiting materials available.

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Stonewall

Quote from: jimmydeanno on December 29, 2008, 06:44:05 PMSince they ran out without a replacement a hard working NHQ staffer (not in the PA shop) who shall remain nameless designed them so that the membership could continue to have recruiting materials available.

Gaurantee they could solicit from membership a brochure with specific criteria and throw choose from a top 10 list.  There are volunteers out here that live for this stuff with a lot of skills.

I can think of at least 2 people on this forum who have probably already created and used their own brochures.  In fact, I have a B&W brochure from the late 80s that my old squadron created for the local level.  3 quality (staged) photos and the necessary info to lure interested people.

I appreciate the work those at NHQ do, and I know they are working harder with less, as we all are, but there are solutions and delegation never hurt anyone.
Serving since 1987.

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Stonewall on December 29, 2008, 07:31:30 PM
Gaurantee they could solicit from membership a brochure with specific criteria and throw choose from a top 10 list.  There are volunteers out here that live for this stuff with a lot of skills.

There is someone on this forum that is assisting in the creation of the new brochure and does professional design services for a living. 

Also, I hate to say this, but...

My understanding is that NHQ does take people up on their offers to assist with the creation of things like updated regulations, courses, etc but it the people who take up the projects never deliver...when's that new 39-1 coming out?
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

arajca

Quote from: jimmydeanno on December 29, 2008, 07:36:36 PMMy understanding is that NHQ does take people up on their offers to assist with the creation of things like updated regulations, courses, etc but it the people who take up the projects never deliver...when's that new 39-1 coming out?
IIRC, the updated CAPM 39-1 is supposed go to the NB for approval in March 2009...

N Harmon

Couldn't NHQ hold some kind of design contest? Just set the criteria for entries, and then choose the best design as the winner. You could even offer some kind of prize. Like say, 2 years of free membership.
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

chiles

Considering this was put together as a stop gap measure by a staffer at the last minute (that minute being identified at the top of the flier ;D), I think it's pretty good. It'll get cadets to come to the meeting and, after that, we have to sell ourselves. Well done and thanks! :clap: I look forward to seeing the next generation of recruiting material.

I do have to admit that the C/Col in the PJOC picture looks 30:) A friend of mine, who served as a cadet with me back in the 90's, had to correct National multiple times when they listed his after 3 years younger than he actually was. I told him that meant he could stay a cadet until he was 24.
Maj Christopher Hiles, MS, RN BSN, CAP
Commander
Ft McHenry Composite Squadron
Health Services Officer
Maryland Wing
Mitchell: 43417
Wilson: 2878

brasda91

Quote from: TEAM SURGE on December 29, 2008, 01:31:23 AM
Quote from: brasda91 on December 27, 2008, 04:15:35 PM
thanks, just ordered 100

Where do you order these from?

eServices on the left side of the page.  But you probably do not have that link in your eServices.  Ask your Sqd Commander or Recruiting Officer to order them.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

brasda91

Quote from: Timbo on December 29, 2008, 04:32:47 AM
Quote from: RiverAux on December 29, 2008, 01:25:40 AM
Besides, the cadet program is exactly the same whether you're starting at 12 or 17 in terms of your opportunities. 

No it is not.  For National Cadet Special Activities, age plays a factor in selection......remember??

Yes, but NCSA's are special.  If you throw that out of the equation, no matter what the age, 12 vs. 17, they all can participate in Model Rocketry, GT, Communications, Flight Line, Orientation Flights, etc.  Therefore, the program is the same.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

RiverAux

Quote from: brasda91 on December 29, 2008, 10:01:28 PM
Quote from: Timbo on December 29, 2008, 04:32:47 AM
Quote from: RiverAux on December 29, 2008, 01:25:40 AM
Besides, the cadet program is exactly the same whether you're starting at 12 or 17 in terms of your opportunities. 

No it is not.  For National Cadet Special Activities, age plays a factor in selection......remember??

Yes, but NCSA's are special.  If you throw that out of the equation, no matter what the age, 12 vs. 17, they all can participate in Model Rocketry, GT, Communications, Flight Line, Orientation Flights, etc.  Therefore, the program is the same.
I don't know what percentage of cadets overall participate in NCSAs, but my WAG based on personal observation is that it is not very high, so while Timbo is technically correct, its not enough of an issue to really impact how we want our recruiting materials to look. 

TEAM SURGE

Quote from: Pumbaa on December 29, 2008, 05:45:43 PM
Hmmm... I find the opposite....

85% of our squadron cadets are Homeschooled....  They are far more serious, far more active, far more respectful than their public school counter parts.

3 of them now have their Mitchel's, One is heading to the Air Force, Another heading to Army Rangers, Another was 15 and spent 8 weeks on a missionary air base learning to fly and work with Eskimo children, she will have her pilots license when she turns 17.

I can go on...

Give me a squadron of 100% homeschoolers and I will be happy!

We actively recruit in the homeschool circles.

Sorry to get off topic again! But now you are steroetyping  public schools! And the kids that go to them! Thanks man I appreciate it! Home schooling in CAP is basically not fair. They get credits for it and they have the time to study every piece of material. Especially kids like me who play sports year around, I dont't have time to. It's not very fair. We should get credits for all this too!

On the other hand we have a home schooled kid who is awesome. So I don't mean every home schooled kid is bad!
C/Msgt. Messman
PCR OR-114
Northwest Coastal Flight

-Eagle Talon 3
-Cascade Falcon X

"You only Live Once"  

Pylon

Topic or lock. 

If you want to discuss home-schooled versus public/private-schooled cadets, feel free to start a thread (though I doubt it's potential value already).  We're talking about the new cadet recruiting brochure here in this thread. Thanks.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

brasda91

I like the flyer.  I'm just glad to have someting to pass out.  We just had the ribbon-cutting ceremony at our new Reserve Training Center where our new home will be and I had to use our funds to print some flyers to be able to hand out.  Not really a cost issue, but more of a principle issue.  I should never be out of recruiting material.  Couple of my seniors are hitting the schools pretty good.  The last recruiting event they did, we had to dig through older material just to have material to pass out.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

Walkman

So I dropped the ball...

I was working with NHQ on a new brochure, but got so slammed with a million things (I even missed SQDN meetings for 3 months) that it got into limbo. They must have gotten tired of waiting and put out this.

Sorry y'al. I'll try to get my act together and finish this thing.

NC Hokie

Care to share your progress with us?
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

Walkman

Sneak peek

Cover

RiverAux

Looks like the CAP plane is getting ready to strafe them.... really though, looks nice.  Need the new command patch on it though. 

NC Hokie

Quote from: Walkman on January 27, 2009, 10:12:53 PM
Sneak peek

Nice concept.  Any chance you could get a picture with a female and/or minority cadet?
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

Walkman

Quote from: NC Hokie on January 28, 2009, 01:08:36 AM

Nice concept.  Any chance you could get a picture with a female and/or minority cadet?

The cadet in the middle is female, but it's hard to tell in BDUs. I was going to reshoot this with her in blues.

PhoenixRisen

Holy [mess]!  That's an awesome cover!

:)