The Need for the Chaplaincy

Started by Archer, March 20, 2014, 01:34:12 AM

Archer

Could someone please hip pocket me on the need/importance in CAP for the chaplain corps?

Eclipse

Not me, since I don't see the need.

"That Others May Zoom"

Flying Pig

Ive seen Chaplains at mission bases, seen them used in CISM cases, seen them perform wedding for other CAP members, act as counselors to senior and cadets, perform funerals.  I believe the military has called on CAP Chaplains a time or two. My dad was a Chaplain in CAP.  He was pretty active, taught moral leadership or what is now called Character Development or something I guess. 

Storm Chaser

Our unit chaplain runs a very dynamic, robust and effective Character Development Program. He also counsels cadets and provides valuable feedback during promotion boards and other feedback sessions. I don't think our unit would be the same without our chaplain.

In an operational setting, a mission chaplain can provide support to victims' family members and can be excellent liaisons between the IC and family members. They can also provide support to CAP members on their own or through CISM teams.

In addition, CAP chaplains support the Air Force by providing chaplain augmentation while Air Force chaplains are deployed.

Archer

That's all fine and dandy, but I'm not seeing the need.

Storm Chaser

Archer

Quote from: Storm Chaser on March 20, 2014, 02:10:40 AM
That's ok; you don't have to.

But I'd like to, it should be expected of a CAP officer to understand the different parts of the CAP machine, doubley so if that officer expects to properly lead units containing chaplains.

LSThiker

Quote from: Archer on March 20, 2014, 02:18:55 AM

But I'd like to, it should be expected of a CAP officer to understand the different parts of the CAP machine, doubley so if that officer expects to properly lead units containing chaplains.

The CAP "reason" for the chaplain is in CAPR 265-1 and other appropriate Chaplain/CD pamphlets.  Thus you should look there.  However, the question does CAP need chaplains is entirely different.  Outside of possible CISM use, they serve little other need that cannot be served by other moral CAP members (moral leadership/character development) or by the appropriate non-CAP source (religious counseling provided by your local clergy outside of CAP). 

I will admit that I believe ML/CD should be removed from the auspices of the chaplain corps as it sends a wrong message. 

lordmonar

Quote from: Archer on March 20, 2014, 02:18:55 AM

The provide a path for Americans to provide some service back to their community.
If you want to talk about "need" you have to frame that within a specific context.

Do you "need" chaplains to perform our three assigned missions?
Nope.
Don't need legal officers, medical officers, historians, half the ES officers, et al.
They provide a benefit to CAP and don't cost us much.......it is a non-issue.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Spaceman3750

Once upon a time they augmented the AF chaplain corps. Unsure if that is still the case, but all chaplain appointments still require AF approval IIRC.

a2capt

They still do ..

* a2capt hides.

Flying Pig

It's another way for people to contribute and an avenue to recruit people who can bring something to the program. CAP recruits doctors and nurses also but we don't have a medical mission.

Edited to add:  I just noticed that chaplain is in ABUs?

Panache

Quote from: Flying Pig on March 20, 2014, 12:23:17 PM
Edited to add:  I just noticed that chaplain is in ABUs?

Discussed to death in another thread, but it's basically because he was attached to a AF unit.

Flying Pig

Copy... By all means no need to rehash it. Simple enough.

RiverAux

I don't think CAP needs them for our own programs, but I'm all in favor of just about AF augmentation program so if it helps the AF that we have Chaplains, I'm fine with it.  Now, if their primary use was AF augmentation (which it isn't, BTW), then I'd be fine with finding other useful Chaplain-esque things to do. 

Eclipse

The Chaplain program is another hold-over of the attempt to emulate a full-time military service which no
longer fits the current CAP model, nor the needs of the membership.

Religion s not the central focus of the average member's life, as it might have been 20-30 years ago,
not to mention that the membership is much more diverse in their beliefs, yet far less structured, while the
majority of the chaplains continue to be Christian-centric.

Further to that, CAP does not have the contact hours, nor the "24x7x365" whole-life control of its members.
Anyone inclined to seek out the counsel of a member of clergy, will have their own thta they spend a lot more time
with then a few hours a year.

It's the same argument with MOs and HSOs.  In an emergency, dial 9-1-1, and in a non-emergency,
I have medical professionals who know me where I seek advice and treatment.

Is that to say that there haven't been cases where a Chaplain was able to intervene in a delicate situation,
provide counsel or care to someone in need?  Of course not, but they could provide that same counsel as a "member"
in whatever other role they would have in a given situation without the need for the structure of the Chaplain corps.

I've had to deal with far too many Chaplains who tried to use their position as an avenue towards evangelizing / recruiting
members, or who injected doctrine and opinion into MLO/CDI sessions and similar.    I've worked with a couple
who were awesome as both members and clergy, but far to many with a high noise-to-signal ratio.

The other issue is that while the augmentation program is supposed to be for an emergency situation or to fill in
when a military Chaplain is deployed, etc.  We have a few (many?) who are using the overall shortage of military
Chaplains as an excuse to become defacto military Chaplains themselves, doing more military duty every year then
CAP, assuming they participate in CAP at all.  The result is issues like the photo above, among other problems.

"That Others May Zoom"

Private Investigator

FYI the Wing Chaplain performed my marriage ceremony.   8)

arajca

I have had good experiences with the chaplain corps, but they are few and far between. My unit was sharing a chaplain until he moved away for church work. He was planning to be gone for one year and we found out at the end of that year he extended his work, so no chaplain for us.

As for the CISM notion, I would call in a professional CISM team rather than use a CAP Chaplain for a CISD. I'm a retired vol. firefighter and I've been to several CISD sessions. Some were good - those that had folks from the field - and some were not - those that had only clinical types with no field experience. I realize some chaplains may have field experience, but many do not. Heck, many of the CAP "CISM" folks don't have field experience.

Eclipse

Quote from: arajca on March 20, 2014, 08:32:11 PMAs for the CISM notion, I would call in a professional CISM team rather than use a CAP Chaplain for a CISD. I'm a retired vol. firefighter and I've been to several CISD sessions. Some were good - those that had folks from the field - and some were not - those that had only clinical types with no field experience. I realize some chaplains may have field experience, but many do not. Heck, many of the CAP "CISM" folks don't have field experience.

Agreed on all points - if someone is mentally scarred because of a CAP mission or similar, they need to seek professional, external assistance.

"That Others May Zoom"

AirAux

If you think lawyers aren't needed, you haven't worked at Wing or a higher level..