Civil Air Portal Refugee's Thread

Started by Major Carrales, November 01, 2006, 01:18:20 AM

Major_Chuck

Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

TDHenderson

Greetings to all Portalgee's!  I do hope we can continue the constructive dialog we enjoyed before.

Thanks CA for all you contributed (and all you continue to do).  Good luck and blue skies!

Lancer

Inasmuch as we will all miss having The CivilAirPortal to hang around at, and we should all thank Tedd for his efforts with it, he's a world class Auxie...

...I think we all need to thank Pylon for being so gracious in letting us all bemoan our 'loss' here at http://www.captalk.net! As Lt Col Horning so glaringly pointed out, we shouldn't be complaining about the loss of a CAP forum on another CAP forum.

Mike, if we can be of any support to you with the additional bandwidth demands, do not hesitate to let us know. I'm sure we can come up with some creative fundraising ideas.

Bluelakes 13

Yes, dual membership here too.  Bummer that the Portal is gone.

Matt

Quote from: Becks on November 01, 2006, 04:33:25 AM
And they continue to trickle in....
Welcome refugees, grab a cup of cocoa and a MRE and take a load off.   ;D

mmmm.... Mr.E's....

As for the cocoa... bah, I'll take the chaw coffee...
<a href=mailto:mkopp@ncr.cap.gov> Matthew Kopp</a>, Maj, CAP
Director of Information Technology
<a href=https://www.ncrcap.us.org> North Central Region</a>

Major Carrales

Quote from: mlcurtis69 on November 01, 2006, 02:48:29 PM

http://www.captalk.net[/url]! As Lt Col Horning so glaringly pointed out, we shouldn't be complaining about the loss of a CAP forum on another CAP forum.

I don't see any harm in talking about it.  Considering so many had "dual membership."

The Portal was, as corny as this sounds, a beloved place and I don't see any harm in transferring that to CAPTALK.

In any case, this thread will sink into the oblivion of the back pages in enough time as PORTAL PEOPLE slowly begin the process of originating, discussing and exchanging ideas on  threads here.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Lancer

Quote from: Major Carrales on November 01, 2006, 03:07:25 PM
I don't see any harm in talking about it.  Considering so many had "dual membership."

I didn't say that. My point was that we need to recognize the graciousness of the new 'innkeeper'. I was also a member here, but posted more at the Portal because it was more active.

The Portal was, as corny as this sounds, a beloved place and I don't see any harm in transferring that to CAPTALK.

Oh, not corny at all. I was rather upset with what happened myself, kinda like a punch in the gut.

In any case, this thread will sink into the oblivion of the back pages in enough time as PORTAL PEOPLE slowly begin the process of originating, discussing and exchanging ideas on  threads here.

Well, I think activity is already booning here, which is great. I love being able to bounce ideas regarding CAP with people other than the folks in my squadron.

Major Carrales

Quote from: mlcurtis69 on November 01, 2006, 03:17:54 PM
I didn't say that. My point was that we need to recognize the graciousness of the new 'innkeeper'.

Granted, and I enjoy this forum.  I look forward to visiting it.  The majority, vast majority, of those coming from the Portal are gracious and professional blokes.

I think this is the start of a great relationship.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

fyrfitrmedic

I'm not a 'refugee' - IIRC I was reading and sometimes posting on here before I started over there.

I'm all for seeing some of the topics over there brought over here...
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

Becks

Quote from: fyrfitrmedic on November 01, 2006, 04:06:37 PM
I'm not a 'refugee' - IIRC I was reading and sometimes posting on here before I started over there.

So go ahead and take the initiative! No reason to let a change of domain name stop the discussions  :)

BBATW

fyrfitrmedic

Quote from: Becks on November 01, 2006, 07:23:27 PM
Quote from: fyrfitrmedic on November 01, 2006, 04:06:37 PM

So go ahead and take the initiative! No reason to let a change of domain name stop the discussions  :)

At the moment I'd rather follow than lead in re: threads - I'm still in the middle of moving; it's a short distance but the level of discombobulation is still a bit higher than I'd like.
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

ELTHunter

Quote from: Major Carrales on November 01, 2006, 02:36:57 AM
Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on November 01, 2006, 02:27:29 AM
I, the undersigned, a refugee of Civil Air Portal have crossed many a border with the notion that I would be given refugee status here in the CAP Talk forum....

As the unoffical Minister Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of the former Republic of the Portal, your status is confirmed.  That is until the moderator sees my usurpations. :D

Where's that dang dictionary I any way:)
Maj. Tim Waddell, CAP
SER-TN-170
Deputy Commander of Cadets
Emergency Services Officer

ELTHunter

Ditto on the dual citizenship thing, but I only posted 6 times here, as I guess I just got caught up in the discussions over at the Portal.  Hey everybody, good to see you!  Thanks also to all you CAP Talk regulars who have been gracious enough to let us refugees commiserate here.
Maj. Tim Waddell, CAP
SER-TN-170
Deputy Commander of Cadets
Emergency Services Officer

sandman

Another refugee here. I've been on leave and only recently checked in to the portal only to find it non-functional, real bummer. On portal I was commandodoc, I think I've signed in as sandman reflecting more of my profession (anesthesia/sedation). I've been here for awhile but have only observed, now it's time to shift colors to this new blog.
MAJ, US Army (Ret)
Major, Civil Air Patrol
Major, 163rd ATKW Support, Joint Medical Command

Major Carrales

Quote from: sandman on November 02, 2006, 09:44:04 PM
Another refugee here. I've been on leave and only recently checked in to the portal only to find it non-functional, real bummer. On portal I was commandodoc, I think I've signed in as sandman reflecting more of my profession (anesthesia/sedation). I've been here for awhile but have only observed, now it's time to shift colors to this new blog.

Hey Commandodoc, welcome.   Or should I say "Mr. Sandman?"  Hope you keep in touch.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Becks

Quote from: sandman on November 02, 2006, 09:44:04 PM
Good to see you made the journey over!

BBATW

sandman

Thanks Joe, Thanks Becks, Good to be with familiar company!
MAJ, US Army (Ret)
Major, Civil Air Patrol
Major, 163rd ATKW Support, Joint Medical Command

carnold1836

Hi all, been over here a couple days and had a few posts already. I thought it would be prudent though to officially register for legal residency in this fine establishment. I enjoy reading many of the posts and will upon occasion jump in with my .02. I do wish though that I would have asked for a "PortalPerson" before the Portal closed, but I was waiting until this Saturday to actually be promoted to 2LT to request one. Oh well life goes on.

Just a quick question. Of all the members here that live in south and central Texas who is planning on being at the Lackland air show this weekend. My squadron is coming down from Austin. Just curious.
Chris Arnold, 1st Lt, CAP
Pegasus Composite Squadron

Major Carrales

Quote from: carnold1836 on November 03, 2006, 06:08:27 AM
Hi all, been over here a couple days and had a few posts already. I thought it would be prudent though to officially register for legal residency in this fine establishment. I enjoy reading many of the posts and will upon occasion jump in with my .02. I do wish though that I would have asked for a "PortalPerson" before the Portal closed, but I was waiting until this Saturday to actually be promoted to 2LT to request one. Oh well life goes on.

Just a quick question. Of all the members here that live in south and central Texas who is planning on being at the Lackland air show this weekend. My squadron is coming down from Austin. Just curious.

As of today no one from Corpus Christi was planning on it.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

BillB

Civil Air Portal still lives.  Contrary to what Tedda has indicated, I note that Portal is still updating the news stories about CAP.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104