Mitchell Promotion Requirements

Started by Ethan Larsen, July 19, 2017, 05:42:46 PM

Ethan Larsen

Recently I have begun working on my Mitchell promotion. According to the Super Chart and the CAP website article on the Mitchell there is no drill requirements for the award, but there is encampment. I finished PT, and Leadership, and went to check my track report, and strangely there is an N/A in the encampment/moral lead section and the drill section is just blank instead of having an N/A. This doesn't make sense. There isn't supposed to be drill for the Mitchell, so this section should be marked with an N/A, and the encampment section should have the date of my basic. Does any body know what this is about, or if there is actually a drill test for the Mitchell?

Thanks!

C/CMSgt Ethan Larsen
C/Maj Ethan Larsen

GaryVC

You need to pass the PT Test, Leadership Test, AE Test, be an active participant and know the cadet oath. You also need encampment. A CAPF 50-2 should have been done on you at least once during the phase.  If you have completed Achievement 8 at least 56 days ago (28 days with the JROTC waiver) and the Mitchell is approved by your SM squadron leader(s) you will receive your Mitchell Award.  I wouldn't worry about the eServices form. It isn't (or shouldn't be) your responsibility.

Ethan Larsen

Quote from: GaryVC on July 19, 2017, 08:10:30 PM
You need to pass the PT Test, Leadership Test, AE Test, be an active participant and know the cadet oath. You also need encampment. A CAPF 50-2 should have been done on you at least once during the phase.  If you have completed Achievement 8 at least 56 days ago (28 days with the JROTC waiver) and the Mitchell is approved by your SM squadron leader(s) you will receive your Mitchell Award.  I wouldn't worry about the eServices form. It isn't (or shouldn't be) your responsibility.
[/quote

So the SMs in my squad may have just screwed up the track report?
C/Maj Ethan Larsen

Gunsotsu

Quote from: Ethan Larsen on July 20, 2017, 02:26:00 AM

This is something you should be addressing with your CDC or CC, not in an open forum. And certainly not after you've identified yourself and your squadron.

Ethan Larsen

Quote from: Gunsotsu on July 20, 2017, 02:31:18 AM
Quote from: Ethan Larsen on July 20, 2017, 02:26:00 AM

This is something you should be addressing with your CDC or CC, not in an open forum. And certainly not after you've identified yourself and your squadron.

Since we are not meeting very frequently now, I was just trying to get an idea whether it was a problem with eservices or just a mistake.
C/Maj Ethan Larsen

Майор Хаткевич

Ethan Larsen

C/Maj Ethan Larsen

s.cap

Some of the information in the Cadet Promotion Track Report is automatically updated by eservices.  If you take and pass your online tests the report shows those results nearly immediately.

However, some of the other fields require work to be done by the squadron staff to enter promotion data where appropriate.

This is not done instantly, and in some cases work that's been completed by the cadet has its entry delayed until right before promotion.

This delay doesn't exist to delay the cadet or to show that the cadet isn't somehow progressing appropriately.  It exists because the command staff simply hasn't gotten to getting the work of entering into the computer done yet.

Ethan Larsen

Quote from: s.cap on July 22, 2017, 02:15:36 PM
Some of the information in the Cadet Promotion Track Report is automatically updated by eservices.  If you take and pass your online tests the report shows those results nearly immediately.

However, some of the other fields require work to be done by the squadron staff to enter promotion data where appropriate.

This is not done instantly, and in some cases work that's been completed by the cadet has its entry delayed until right before promotion.

This delay doesn't exist to delay the cadet or to show that the cadet isn't somehow progressing appropriately.  It exists because the command staff simply hasn't gotten to getting the work of entering into the computer done yet.

It's more like the information has been entered incorrectly. I don't know if eservices is responsible for the drill and encampment sections, but this doesn't seem likely, so I think it must just be a mistake.
C/Maj Ethan Larsen

Jester

I believe the encampment portion is entered by the encampment staff for all participants after the completion of the event.

If you didn't get credit you'll probably have to submit your graduation certificate to NHQ.

Ethan Larsen

Quote from: Jester on July 22, 2017, 05:20:06 PM
I believe the encampment portion is entered by the encampment staff for all participants after the completion of the event.

If you didn't get credit you'll probably have to submit your graduation certificate to NHQ.

That is really strange, on eservices my encampment date is there, but it is not on the track report.
C/Maj Ethan Larsen

Jester

I've only done one Mitchell (I think) and I don't remember putting the encampment date into the cadet promotions app. It was auto-filled like leadership and AE tests.

Run it up your chain to double check. They'll probably have to contact NHQ to get it fixed.

Ethan Larsen

Quote from: Jester on July 22, 2017, 06:10:36 PM
I've only done one Mitchell (I think) and I don't remember putting the encampment date into the cadet promotions app. It was auto-filled like leadership and AE tests.

Run it up your chain to double check. They'll probably have to contact NHQ to get it fixed.

Dang, that sounds long and complicated. Hopefully they will be able to get it fixed quickly.
C/Maj Ethan Larsen

Jester

GaryVC

To repeat, the tracking report only shows the items that are common to most achievements. The data entry for cadet promotions in eServices has the specifics for each achievement. Some items such as the CAPF-50 which is required for each phase of the cadet program aren't shown anywhere.

Ethan Larsen

Quote from: GaryVC on July 22, 2017, 08:26:42 PM
To repeat, the tracking report only shows the items that are common to most achievements. The data entry for cadet promotions in eServices has the specifics for each achievement. Some items such as the CAPF-50 which is required for each phase of the cadet program aren't shown anywhere.

So the track report is not what decides whether one has done everything needed to get promoted? It is just a way for one to see what they have left to do?
C/Maj Ethan Larsen

Eclipse

Encampment completion is shown in the "Encampments" area mid-way down on the "Training"
tab in eServices / Member Search.  If it's shown there, you are done.

It is also shown in the "Data Entry" page of the Cadet Promotions Module, which, as a cadet, you would
not have access to.

The Form 50 question is asked and checked by the CC at the time of approval and does not show anywhere else.

Close this page and send an email to your CC or CDC as to what, if anything, you still need. Generally the two
things left hanging are "Oath" and "Active Participant", which are checked just before submitting a
promotion for approval.

It's also possible it was already submitted and is sitting in your CC's queue.

Either way, ask them.  You won't find you answer here.

"That Others May Zoom"

Ethan Larsen

Quote from: Eclipse on July 22, 2017, 09:11:49 PM
Encampment completion is shown in the "Encampments" area mid-way down on the "Training"
tab in eServices / Member Search.  If it's shown there, you are done.

It is also shown in the "Data Entry" page of the Cadet Promotions Module, which, as a cadet, you would
not have access to.

The Form 50 question is asked and checked by the CC at the time of approval and does not show anywhere else.

Close this page and send an email to your CC or CDC as to what, if anything, you still need. Generally the two
things left hanging are "Oath" and "Active Participant", which are checked just before submitting a
promotion for approval.

It's also possible it was already submitted and is sitting in your CC's queue.

Either way, ask them.  You won't find you answer here.

Both my encampments are in my training section, so I am pretty sure that the AE cumulative is all I have left. But I will check anyway.
C/Maj Ethan Larsen

SarDragon

AFAIK, encampments are entered at NHQ from the CAPF 20 submitted by the encampment commander.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PHall

Quote from: SarDragon on July 23, 2017, 05:04:58 AM

AFAIK, encampments are entered at NHQ from the CAPF 20 submitted by the encampment commander.

Encampments can only be entered by the Encampment Commander when they submit the Encampment Package, including the Form 20, to National.
This is the only source document accepted by National. Period!

Eclipse

Quote from: PHall on July 23, 2017, 02:07:04 PM

Encampments can only be entered by the Encampment Commander when they submit the Encampment Package, including the Form 20, to National.

The Form 20 hasn't been used for at least 3 years, and there is no "Encampment Package" required by NHQ.

Encampment completion, curriculum information, and participant demographic info is submitted by the Encampment Commander
via the "Encampment Entry" module of the "Registration and Payment System" in eServices

Credit is conferred to the participants immediately with no further action by NHQ or CAP-USAF.
upon submision.

"That Others May Zoom"

Ethan Larsen

Quote from: Eclipse on July 23, 2017, 02:18:36 PM
Quote from: PHall on July 23, 2017, 02:07:04 PM

The Form 20 hasn't been used for at least 3 years, and there is no "Encampment Package" required by NHQ.

Encampment completion, curriculum information, and participant demographic info is submitted by the Encampment Commander
via the "Encampment Entry" module of the "Registration and Payment System" in eServices

Credit is conferred to the participants immediately with no further action by NHQ or CAP-USAF.
upon submision.

It is in my training tab, so the problem should be solved.
C/Maj Ethan Larsen

Cadetter

I have my Mitchell (have had it for over a year) and the Encampment portion of the track report has always stayed N/A. The drill portion has also always stayed blank. All three of the encampments I have attended (two prior to attaining the Mitchell) are correctly entered in eServices > My Accomplishments > Training. There is nothing for anyone to fix on your Track Report from what you have said.
Wright Brothers Award, 2013
Billy Mitchell Award, 2016
Earhart Award, 2018

Ethan Larsen

Quote from: Cadetter on July 23, 2017, 04:49:34 PM
I have my Mitchell (have had it for over a year) and the Encampment portion of the track report has always stayed N/A. The drill portion has also always stayed blank. All three of the encampments I have attended (two prior to attaining the Mitchell) are correctly entered in eServices > My Accomplishments > Training. There is nothing for anyone to fix on your Track Report from what you have said.

Okay, that is certainly good news, thanks for the help.
C/Maj Ethan Larsen