USAF appears to be quietly transitioning to OCP stateside...

Started by Eclipse, July 23, 2017, 06:49:31 PM

CyBorgII

Quote from: Commo on August 29, 2017, 11:46:21 PM
For combat/field uniforms, different services have different missions.  If we didn't, we wouldn't need ~four five different branches of the armed forces.

FTFY. ;)

Five, actually - Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, Coast Guard.

Add in the other two "uniformed services" - NOAA Commissioned Corps and the uniformed branch of the USPHS (who do the medical care for the Coast Guard), and you technically have seven.
Whaddaya mean I ain't kind?  I'm just not YOUR kind!

Ex-CAP Captain, now CG Auxiliary, but still feel a great deal of affection for the many good people in CAP.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

Quote from: Eclipse on November 02, 2017, 06:48:35 PM
http://www.military.com/daily-news/2017/10/20/air-force-mulls-uniform-shift-abus-acus.html

Clearly just a matter of when at this point, despite some recent public comments about nothing changing.

Jokes on you. The Army has been shifting from the ACU to the OCP uniform for a couple years now. And Military.com is not exactly a reliable source.

LSThiker

Quote from: PHall on November 03, 2017, 12:12:34 AM
The Army has been shifting from the ACU to the OCP uniform for a couple years now.

No they have not.  They are currently using the ACU and will continue to use the ACU.  What the Army is shifting is from the UCP to the OCP. 

PHall

Quote from: LSThiker on November 03, 2017, 12:46:46 AM
The Army has been shifting from the ACU to the OCP uniform for a couple years now.

No they have not.  They are currently using the ACU and will continue to use the ACU.  What the Army is shifting is from the UCP to the OCP.

Funny, when I drive by the Armed Forces Reserve Center on Drill Weekends I see formations that are about 1/3 ACU and 2/3 OCP.
And my friends who are in the Army Guard tell me that all they issue is OCP these days.

LSThiker

Quote from: PHall on November 03, 2017, 02:56:41 AM

Funny, when I drive by the Armed Forces Reserve Center on Drill Weekends I see formations that are about 1/3 ACU and 2/3 OCP.
And my friends who are in the Army Guard tell me that all they issue is OCP these days.

You are missing a critical piece of information, which is not funny.  The UCP and OCP are both ACUs.  Again, the Army is switching from UCP ACU to OCP ACU.  So what you really see is 100% ACU, which is divided as 1/3 UCP and 2/3 OCP.

Now, I would suggest rereading that military.com article, which the message should be clearer.

PHall

Quote from: LSThiker on November 03, 2017, 03:42:54 AM
Quote from: PHall on November 03, 2017, 02:56:41 AM

You are missing a critical piece of information, which is not funny.  The UCP and OCP are both ACUs.  Again, the Army is switching from UCP ACU to OCP ACU.  So what you really see is 100% ACU, which is divided as 1/3 UCP and 2/3 OCP.

Now, I would suggest rereading that military.com article, which the message should be clearer.

Never bothered to read the Military.com article since they are not a trusted source. About the same as the New York Post, a scandal sheet.

LSThiker

Quote from: PHall on November 03, 2017, 04:16:07 AM
Never bothered to read the Military.com article since they are not a trusted source. About the same as the New York Post, a scandal sheet.

Fair enough, and I agree military.com is not a highly trusted source. After all, the NYP does run some actual news articles.  Nevertheless, the USAF may in fact be mulling a switch from ABUs to ACUs, as suggested by the headline.  Of course, if that happens, the USAF will most likely pick up OCPs rather than UCPs, as the Army is switching to the former.  But only time will tell. 

kwe1009

Quote from: LSThiker on November 03, 2017, 01:47:18 PM
Quote from: PHall on November 03, 2017, 04:16:07 AM

Fair enough, and I agree military.com is not a highly trusted source. After all, the NYP does run some actual news articles.  Nevertheless, the USAF may in fact be mulling a switch from ABUs to ACUs, as suggested by the headline.  Of course, if that happens, the USAF will most likely pick up OCPs rather than UCPs, as the Army is switching to the former.  But only time will tell.

CENTCOM had definitely made the switch to OCP as have other USAF units that work closely with the Army.  Given that a good number of the USAF is already wearing the UCP daily or has some in their closet that was issued during a deployment, it would be logical for the rest of the USAF to move to that uniform.  I know that logic is something that rarely, if ever, is used in making uniform decisions but one can only hope. 

Back in the 1980's, the USAF went to BDUs exclusively after a large number of member were issued that uniform do to being assigned to USAFE and other overseas areas.  I never understood why the different branches were allowed to create their own utility uniforms.  That was a gigantic waste of time and money both for DoD and the individual service members to purchase more expensive uniforms due to the smaller market since the uniforms were service-specific.

Eclipse

Those who follow DOD and USAF news in the InterTubes are no doubt aware that a presentation
from the USAF uniform board was leaked which indicated that it would be recommending
a full transition to OCPs as of 1 Oct.

That same seemingly reliable source has posted that a high-ranking BMT Officer is confirming
that 1 OCT will be the transition date and his intention is to have Lackland BMT units be the first
to receive OCPs as their standard / only uniform issue.

USAF is, of course, indicating "no decision has been made", but seriously, the writing for this
isn't just on the wall, it's been carved in stone for quite a while.

It probably won't be certain until Oct (though the logistics of these sorts of things generally force
announcements), however it now seems virtually certain that the USAF will be well out of ABUs
before CAP completes its transition.

Between this and the Zucks issues this week, it appears to be a good time for people invested in
"Told Ya!" t-shirts.

CAP needs >a< field uniform of its own (or frankly doesn't really and could just adopt some variation
of tac pants and a robust shirt like most of the rest of the ES world).

Chasing affinity when there's a 5-10 year delay in adoption is self-defeating.

"That Others May Zoom"

kwe1009

Quote from: Eclipse on March 23, 2018, 02:39:19 PM
Chasing affinity when there's a 5-10 year delay in adoption is self-defeating.

Agreed.  It would be nice to get on the same schedule as JROTC in regards to uniforms but we have to take into consideration that CAP is a volunteer organization and each new uniform variation just keeps jacking up the price.

Once the USAF drops the ABUs and green boots (a day that most Airmen will celebrate), the supply of ABUs will quickly dry up outside of Vanguard sales.  I am not sure where VG gets their ABUs from but I don't think that CAP is a big enough customer to keep a clothing line alive.  If that is the case CAP will have to start looking for a replacement utility uniform probably within 5 years.

This is a much different issue than we had with the BDU.  You could still find them in surplus stores and companies still made them because that uniform is still worn by many organizations around the world.  Nobody outside of the USAF (it include ROTC/JROTC/CAP) is wearing it so both the supply and demand is very small. 

Eclipse

Quote from: kwe1009 on March 23, 2018, 03:30:50 PM
Agreed.  It would be nice to get on the same schedule as JROTC in regards to uniforms but we have to take into consideration that CAP is a volunteer organization and each new uniform variation just keeps jacking up the price.

That's why common sense gets you off the bandwagon entirely.

Blues & whites haven't and aren't likely to change, but the field uniforms affect a significantly higher portion of the membership.
I know more then a few members that only have a golf shirt and a field uniform and / or flight suit (yes, required, etc., etc.)

Members who "only" do NESA, ES, flying, whatever, important to operations, may well have several of these to be able to
participate in prolonged, multi-day events.

Considering the rigmarole required for the average member to config a new uniform (sewing, etc.), the field uniforms are also
the most hassle and worn by the most members overall.

Sundown ABUs in 2021, make the standard the dark blue, which are worn by many LEA and similar agencies, leave the blues / whites as is,
and never care or worry again about the foibles of what the military is wearing, at least in the field.

You never have another conversation about grooming or uniformity again, and in public, which is where a lot of field
uniforms are worn, CAP is one Total Force.

"That Others May Zoom"

J2H

I loved the ABU and green boots!  No ironing, no polishing... take it out of the dryer, shake it out, throw it on.
SSgt Jeffrey Hughes, Squadron NCO
Glenn L. Martin Composite Squadron MD-031

CAP9907

Quote from: Eclipse on March 23, 2018, 04:26:26 PM
Quote from: kwe1009 on March 23, 2018, 03:30:50 PM

Blues & whites haven't and aren't likely to change, but the field uniforms affect a significantly higher portion of the membership.

Members who "only" do NESA, ES, flying, whatever, important to operations, may well have several of these to be able to
participate in prolonged, multi-day events.

Sundown ABUs in 2021, make the standard the dark blue, which are worn by many LEA and similar agencies, leave the blues / whites as is,
and never care or worry again about the foibles of what the military is wearing, at least in the field.

You never have another conversation about grooming or uniformity again, and in public, which is where a lot of field
uniforms are worn, CAP is one Total Force.

Could not agree more, this actually makes sense!!!!   :o
21 yrs of service

Our Members Code of Conduct can be found here:   http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=13.0

Stonewall

Quote from: J2H on March 23, 2018, 09:45:34 PM
I loved the ABU and green boots!  No ironing, no polishing... take it out of the dryer, shake it out, throw it on.

OCPs are the same. Wash and wear, no ironing or polishing of boots.
Serving since 1987.

Fester

Easy solution..... become a fat and fuzzy.  So you're limited to the Corporate Uniforms which are far less likely to change and save you a ton of money in the long haul.  :D
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

PHall

Quote from: Stonewall on March 24, 2018, 07:49:31 AM
Quote from: J2H on March 23, 2018, 09:45:34 PM

OCPs are the same. Wash and wear, no ironing or polishing of boots.

At least in the Army, you wear "Coyote Brown" boots with the OCP's.

arajca

Quote from: Fester on March 24, 2018, 08:07:21 AM
Easy solution..... become a fat and fuzzy.  So you're limited to the Corporate Uniforms which are far less likely to change and save you a ton of money in the long haul.  :D
Actually, even easier - just wear the corporate uniforms. H/W and grooming are irrelevant, unless your a cadet over 18 who does not meet the h/w standards, then grooming is relevant.

LATORRECA

I am tired of buying uniforms. One more reason why I'm retiring.

Carlos

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PHall

Quote from: LATORRECA on March 25, 2018, 01:19:08 AM
I am tired of buying uniforms. One more reason why I'm retiring.

Carlos

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Go to the corprates and you won't need to buy anymore uniforms.