Main Menu

CAP Online Safety Education

Started by ElectricPenguin, February 17, 2011, 01:16:41 AM

ElectricPenguin

I am looking at the CAP Online Safety Education page on E-services, do you have to retake ORM every month??? Every test on the page now says "PASSED". I hate retakeing things... :-[ :-\ :o

ßτε

You don't have to retake any that you already passed. As a matter of fact, the only one you need to pass is
"Introduction to CAP Safety Program for New Members."

davidsinn

Quote from: ElectricPenguin on February 17, 2011, 01:16:41 AM
I am looking at the CAP Online Safety Education page on E-services, do you have to retake ORM every month??? Every test on the page now says "PASSED". I hate retakeing things... :-[ :-\ :o

You shouldn't have taken any of them except the intro to safety and ORM. The concept is to take them if you are called up for a mission but are not current on you safety training.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

ßτε

As for the monthly requirement, you should have that covered when you participate in your unit's monthly safety education class. If you are not present at that time, you have a few other options. One of which is to take one of the "Elective Monthly Education Courses" available on that page.

caphornbuckle

I am looking at the CAP Online Safety Education page on E-services, do you have to retake ORM every month??? Every test on the page now says "PASSED". I hate retaking things... :-[ :-\ :o

Units are required to go over ORM with their membership once a year.

This is something that hasn't been clearly spelled out yet.  Those extra briefings are not to be taken all at once.  As stated above, they are for when you miss a monthly training period and need to make one up.  They will open up again after a period of time after you've taken them, however, I do not remember when.
Lt Col Samuel L. Hornbuckle, CAP

ElectricPenguin

Quote from: caphornbuckle on February 17, 2011, 01:30:23 AM
I am looking at the CAP Online Safety Education page on E-services, do you have to retake ORM every month??? Every test on the page now says "PASSED". I hate retaking things... :-[ :-\ :o

Units are required to go over ORM with their membership once a year.

This is something that hasn't been clearly spelled out yet.  Those extra briefings are not to be taken all at once.  As stated above, they are for when you miss a monthly training period and need to make one up.  They will open up again after a period of time after you've taken them, however, I do not remember when.

Yes, I am told to do one monthly..., though none of them have "Opened up" even after a few months.

SE_Jeff

180 days.  This is straight from the November 2010 Sentinel:

Quote13) Do I have to take all of the online computer-based education modules at the same time?
Answer: No. Actually you only have to take one per month to meet safety education MINIMUM requirements. You can take them all; however, they time out for 180 days and prevent you from taking them again for that duration to prevent the same course from being taken over and over again.  After 180 days, these courses will be reset  so  you can take the course as refresher. There are many more courses coming with a forecast library of 5 The Safety Beacon — Civil Air Patrol's Safety Newsletter — November 2010 75-100 modules that will eventually be updated with audio and video.

EMT-83

Quote from: ElectricPenguin on February 17, 2011, 02:30:01 AM
Yes, I am told to do one monthly..., though none of them have "Opened up" even after a few months.

I know of several members who took all the tests at once. Now they're SOL if they miss a safety briefing.

If your commander told you to take the on-line tests, even if you're current on face-to-face briefings, he doesn't understand how it's supposed to work.

davidsinn

Quote from: EMT-83 on February 17, 2011, 01:18:27 PM

I know of several members who took all the tests at once. Now they're SOL if they miss a safety briefing.

If your commander told you to take the on-line tests, even if you're current on face-to-face briefings, he doesn't understand how it's supposed to work.

You are having monthly safety meetings at the squadron right? It almost sounds like they are replacing the in person with online and that's not how it's supposed to work.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

caphornbuckle

Quote from: davidsinn on February 17, 2011, 03:37:05 PM

You are having monthly safety meetings at the squadron right? It almost sounds like they are replacing the in person with online and that's not how it's supposed to work.

As I understand it, in a round-a-bout way, the online training is what National can consider "interactive" since there is a quiz at the end.  This is the primary requirement they were going for when they did this.

davidsinn

Quote from: caphornbuckle on February 18, 2011, 04:50:05 AM

As I understand it, in a round-a-bout way, the online training is what National can consider "interactive" since there is a quiz at the end.  This is the primary requirement they were going for when they did this.

But it still doesn't absolve the unit from holding the required safety briefings every month does it? I thought the whole point of the online stuff was as a stop gap if someone needed the mandated safety but couldn't make the face to face for whatever reason?
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

EMT-83

caphornbuckle

Quote from: davidsinn on February 18, 2011, 04:59:09 AM
Quote from: caphornbuckle on February 18, 2011, 04:50:05 AM

But it still doesn't absolve the unit from holding the required safety briefings every month does it? I thought the whole point of the online stuff was as a stop gap if someone needed the mandated safety but couldn't make the face to face for whatever reason?

You are correct.

The confusing part of this is that units are required to give face-to-face briefings.  The definition of face-to-face is not really how we would expect it to be in the sense that units just need to provide interactive training.  A teleconference can be considered face-to-face by the regulation and you do not have to see the person to do it as long as they are communicating with you something about safety.

In the event a member is unable to communicate to the safety officer or vice versa, the member can take one of the online quizzes and complete their interactive requirement per regulation.

SarDragon

Yeah, I got the word to take the required test, and once I got there, being the test junkie that I am, I took them all before I read any additional instructions. Oh, well. That's just more incentive to make sure I get my monthly safety briefings.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

a2capt

Heh.. I saved "one" for later. ;)

What I'd like to figure out is just actually who is required to take said training.

Here's the deal:

Use the Cadet Promotions to enter cadet participation of that course, and if you don't do it the same night you took it, and some cadets get promoted after that day, or that same day, but the Safety Introduction was not recorded that day, the next day you can't post it to those cadets that got promoted.

You will get back a message: The achievement date must be later than the last achievement " (or such) because it thinks your entering a higher achievement as thats all the system was originally intended to process. They added tests and required training to it, and didn't change the data qualification checks at the time of submission.

Next, if you go to the report section and do a list of "All Members", you get everyone in your unit.

If you pick just cadets, of course, you just get cadets, and if you pick senior members, you just get senior members. Cadet Sponsor members get left out of the latter two reports. A cadet sponsor member got an odd message while in eServices trying to take the test, and is not able to. I have not had a chance to see if other Cadet Sponsor members get the same error or not.

So, are Cadet Sponsor members required, or not? There seems to be issues with them taking it, both in reporting and perhaps actually doing the test.

Lastly, so it's required, yet we all know 100% compliance at a unit is simply not possible most of the time. When you have your higher HQ breathing on you saying that this is mandatory, or their going to "ground" us, shut us down, whatever, thats completely un-realistic. We have no control over it, we apparently can offer the course in bulk to cadets, as we can log them ourselves, and administer the test, but senior members- the only way it can be credited to them is they login and take the test. We can lead 'em to water, but we can't force 'em to drink. There is no CO saying "you will do this", so what gives?

caphornbuckle

Quote from: a2capt on February 18, 2011, 06:25:40 AM
Heh.. I saved "one" for later. ;)

What I'd like to figure out is just actually who is required to take said training.

Here's the deal:

Use the Cadet Promotions to enter cadet participation of that course, and if you don't do it the same night you took it, and some cadets get promoted after that day, or that same day, but the Safety Introduction was not recorded that day, the next day you can't post it to those cadets that got promoted.

You will get back a message: The achievement date must be later than the last achievement " (or such) because it thinks your entering a higher achievement as thats all the system was originally intended to process. They added tests and required training to it, and didn't change the data qualification checks at the time of submission.

Next, if you go to the report section and do a list of "All Members", you get everyone in your unit.

If you pick just cadets, of course, you just get cadets, and if you pick senior members, you just get senior members. Cadet Sponsor members get left out of the latter two reports. A cadet sponsor member got an odd message while in eServices trying to take the test, and is not able to. I have not had a chance to see if other Cadet Sponsor members get the same error or not.

So, are Cadet Sponsor members required, or not? There seems to be issues with them taking it, both in reporting and perhaps actually doing the test.

Lastly, so it's required, yet we all know 100% compliance at a unit is simply not possible most of the time. When you have your higher HQ breathing on you saying that this is mandatory, or their going to "ground" us, shut us down, whatever, thats completely un-realistic. We have no control over it, we apparently can offer the course in bulk to cadets, as we can log them ourselves, and administer the test, but senior members- the only way it can be credited to them is they login and take the test. We can lead 'em to water, but we can't force 'em to drink. There is no CO saying "you will do this", so what gives?

For your first thoughts, I do not have access to the promotions side of things involving the cadets so I am unable to answer that part of your questions.

Second, CSM's are required to take the exam.

The ICL that came out about this makes it mandatory for the individuals to have the exam on their personnel records.  The unit will (should) not be punished for it.

Though I'm not positive of what the outcome would be for those who do not take the test nor has NHQ put out what would happen to these members, I believe it would be treated the same way as the required OPSEC or CPPT training.  Those who refuse to complete it would not be allowed to participate in CAP activities and/or be transferred to the reserve unit until it is completed.

http://capmembers.com/media/cms/2010_11_01_introductory_safety_educ_34DEF2766280A.pdf

RADIOMAN015

Yea, the 12 year cadets really have an easy time completing the Intro to Safety Course -- we ran out of computers and many of the cadets were totally frustrated. :( >:(

There's got to be a way for units to just run a simple course for the cadets and certify it.  They surely DON'T need the same level of expertise as the senior members.  That's why we adults have to supervise them.

RM 

a2capt

Use the slides, or the video, give the test, write names on papers, swap papers, read the answers out loud, hand them back.

Everyone who passes gets collected, those who fail get a second session/review and move on. When you're done, log them all in eServices Cadet Promotions, other entry section.

Just make sure any cadets you're entering have not been promoted since you gave the test if you don't enter it on the same date.  Since it's currently using the date checking method against the last promotion since it appears that the application was written to handle promotions and the only time you'd be putting anything in that it would be dated later than the last.

EMT-83

Quote from: a2capt on February 18, 2011, 06:25:40 AMLastly, so it's required, yet we all know 100% compliance at a unit is simply not possible most of the time. When you have your higher HQ breathing on you saying that this is mandatory, or their going to "ground" us, shut us down, whatever, thats completely un-realistic. We have no control over it, we apparently can offer the course in bulk to cadets, as we can log them ourselves, and administer the test, but senior members- the only way it can be credited to them is they login and take the test. We can lead 'em to water, but we can't force 'em to drink. There is no CO saying "you will do this", so what gives?

It's pretty simple - if they don't comply, they don't participate. If they show up at the squadron, either sit them down in front of a computer or send them home.

LtCol057

From what I've seen, it's easier for the cadets to take the exam because they are more computer-literate.  I have some senior members that give me that "deer in headlights" look when I tell them they need to go into eServices and do something.  I tried to help one senior member last week register, was going ok, until it got to the email address.  He doesn't have one and doesn't know what his wife's email address is.  Anyone else run up with this problem? 

Any suggestions?  I'm thinking about maybe a squadron email address.

jimmydeanno

Y'all can send this to members who may not know how to find or take the quiz. 

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill