Encampment Resume references

Started by Kayll'b, January 02, 2019, 04:57:40 PM

Kayll'b

Hey, I'm applying for a staff position at cascade falcon, is it normal to use references, or should I take those out of my resume?
C/Capt

Mitchell # 69847

Squadron Cadet Leadership officer

GCAC Recorder

Eclipse

It really depends on the relevance.

A reference from a senior member who is either also on staff of either this activity or other encampments
probably carries some weight, one from a fellow cadet who may or may not be known to the encampment
staff less so.

Of course this varies wildly between activities and your best bet is to follow the guidelines provided by the
application process and / or ask the staff of that activity directly.

"That Others May Zoom"

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Eclipse on January 02, 2019, 05:05:54 PM
A reference from a senior member who is either also on staff of either this activity or other encampments
probably carries some weight, one from a fellow cadet who may or may not be known to the encampment
staff less so.

I'll add a remark to that:
Don't use anyone as a reference that is on a selection board or within the superior chain of command (i.e., above the people making the selections) as your reference. That's seen as bias and unfair in the selection process.

For example:
If you're applying to be a Flight Sergeant, there may not be anything inherently wrong with the person selected as your Flight Commander saying "I want them on my team," but it could be inappropriate for the Encampment Commandant to recommend you for a flight without weighing you against the other candidates, especially if, say, he/she was a member of your home unit (that happens more than you think).

MSG Mac

Ask the person you're using as a reference, if they will give you a favorable report.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Kayll'b

Great, that was really helpful, thanks!
C/Capt

Mitchell # 69847

GCAC Recorder

Larry Mangum

Having served as the Cascade Falcon Encampment Commander multiple times, I can tell you that when picking senior staff, I did not consider references on a resume when either picking senior or cadet staff. I did review the cadet commanders resume, but the most important consideration was the interview. I usually left the selection of line staff and the cadet staff to the Cadet Commander, but did attend all staff selection meetings.

I can tell you that from my observations, if the cadet participation in wing events; how they performed during the staff selection weekend; played a much more significant role in t he selection process, than a resume does.
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

Kayll'b

yeah, last year it did seem way more segnificant. however I want every thing to be the best it can be. thanks for the input!!!
C/Capt

Mitchell # 69847

GCAC Recorder

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Larry Mangum on January 03, 2019, 01:34:31 PM
Having served as the Cascade Falcon Encampment Commander multiple times, I can tell you that when picking senior staff, I did not consider references on a resume when either picking senior or cadet staff. I did review the cadet commanders resume, but the most important consideration was the interview. I usually left the selection of line staff and the cadet staff to the Cadet Commander, but did attend all staff selection meetings.

I can tell you that from my observations, if the cadet participation in wing events; how they performed during the staff selection weekend; played a much more significant role in t he selection process, than a resume does.

Cadets in the modern era are taught to include references for CAP resumes.

Larry Mangum

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on January 07, 2019, 03:25:19 PM

a
Yeah, I guess having last served as a Encampment Commander a few years ago, and having completed a term as a  Squadron Commander, less than 4 years ago and having served multiple years as staff at NESA, makes me to old too understand how staff is selected at encampment and national activities.
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

PHall

Quote from: Larry Mangum on January 08, 2019, 08:03:23 PM
Quote from: TheSkyHornet on January 07, 2019, 03:25:19 PM

a
Yeah, I guess having last served as a Encampment Commander a few years ago, and having completed a term as a  Squadron Commander, less than 4 years ago and having served multiple years as staff at NESA, makes me to old too understand how staff is selected at encampment and national activities.

No need to get unpleasant.

Larry Mangum

Not trying to be unpleasant, just trying to point out that I might have a basis to have an opinion on how staff is selected, that might be valid.
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

TheSkyHornet

And I have a basis at the fact that I literally have the "CAP Resume" SDA up in front of me right now:
https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/Resume_36BA0A6C676FF.pdf

QuoteReferences. It is customary to list two or three individuals who can speak to your professionalism, work-related skills, or employment history. However, before using someone as a reference, be sure to ask their permission and verify that indeed they'll recommend you for the position.

QuoteReferences include each individual's name, title, and contact info --- points to references listed on sample resume

So while I'm thrilled at your experiences in serving as Encampment Commander and Squadron Commander, we're discussing the expectations of Cadet Programs as they reflect on the training syllabus.....i.e., cadets are taught to include references when writing resumes. Sure, it's a cadet officer SDA, but this is probably used as the expectation either at the cadet's home unit, wing, or Encampment staffing in regard to how resumes should be written.