Summary of Winter Board 2008 Changes and approvals

Started by Eclipse, March 01, 2008, 09:55:14 PM

NHQ-OS-126 Frank

I don't know if we have permission to use that decal for vehicles/aircraft because we do not have a vehicle neither an aircraft for our squadron. We use our private cars if we need transportation. And that is not always easy to organize........We would be happy if we had a vehicle for the squadron.
Deputy commander
Aerospace Education Officer
NHQ-OS-126 Spangdahlem AB
Germany
www.facebook.com/capspangdahlem
LX1MG

JayT

Quote from: NHQ-OS-126 Frank on March 09, 2008, 01:03:52 PM
Also, it is being looked into (by Natl HO staff) whether any pre-TP items are being affected, such as the Overseas Cadet Squadron patch (formerly National Shoulder patch) which also has "US" on it.

We do have US on our shoulder patch. And that's good like that. Because a lot of people over here don't know what Civil Air Patrol is, so when they see the patch and also the US they know at least from which country it is and also that is something official.

Having the US flag patch on the left shoulder is not always enough to let people know that we are an official organization.

Same thing for the left  pocket patch on BDU's. Over here when is says CIVIL AIR PATROL a lot of people ask where we are from.........when we had, still have, the U.S. CIVIL AIR PATROL patch we got better reactions from overseas people because they saw who we belong to......

I just don't understand why they don't want the U.S on the new patches anymore .......  US Air Force,
US Army, why not US Civil Air Patrol  ???

A. Not the name of the organization. The name of the organization is Civil Air Patrol.

B. We're not an independent agency, we're part of the Air Force, at least indirectly.

Tag spacing - MIKE
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

PHall

Quote from: NHQ-OS-126 Frank on March 09, 2008, 01:03:52 PM
Also, it is being looked into (by Natl HO staff) whether any pre-TP items are being affected, such as the Overseas Cadet Squadron patch (formerly National Shoulder patch) which also has "US" on it.

We do have US on our shoulder patch. And that's good like that. Because a lot of people over here don't know what Civil Air Patrol is, so when they see the patch and also the US they know at least from which country it is and also that is something official.

Having the US flag patch on the left shoulder is not always enough to let people know that we are an official organization.

Same thing for the left  pocket patch on BDU's. Over here when is says CIVIL AIR PATROL a lot of people ask where we are from.........when we had, still have, the U.S. CIVIL AIR PATROL patch we got better reactions from overseas people because they saw who we belong to......

I just don't understand why they don't want the U.S on the new patches anymore .......  US Air Force,
US Army, why not US Civil Air Patrol  ???

Biggest beef there was with the US Civil Air Patrol thing was the way it was done.
The former National Commander decided on his own that we needed it and just implemented it as a last minute item of new business at a NEC meeting. Wasn't on the agenda or anything.

Problem is that Civil Air Patrol is our official name, as stated in the federal law that charters us and the law that makes us the civilian auxiliary of the Air Force.

Now, if the name change had been done the "right" way, i.e. get the laws amended and change the AFI's, and a couple of good reasons had been given for the change, things might have gone differently.

Now, you may be able to get a waiver from National for the Overseas Units to wear the US CIVIL AIR PATROL tapes,
it does almost make sense. If you really feel you need them then go ahead and ask for the waiver.

Tag spacing - MIKE

link

So what was the deal with boonie hats?  Can we wear them or not?  I thought I caught the tail end of it, where it's a yes, but a project officer can say no to them.  If that's true does the Air Force still have to approve it even though they're not wearing BDU's any more?

Anyone have any idea when the Minutes will be up? 

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

JayT

Quote from: link on March 10, 2008, 04:14:11 PM
So what was the deal with boonie hats?  Can we wear them or not?  I thought I caught the tail end of it, where it's a yes, but a project officer can say no to them.  If that's true does the Air Force still have to approve it even though they're not wearing BDU's any more?

The AF is still wearing BDUs, and besides, it's still an Air Force uniform ultimately.

Notice how we can't wear boonies with DFU?

(Even through I have both camo and dark blue boonies in my closet, waiting...)
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

link

Quote from: JThemann on March 11, 2008, 02:43:17 PM

The AF is still wearing BDUs, and besides, it's still an Air Force uniform ultimately.

I don't know about where you are but when I've been on base, I haven't seen a BDU in months.

Also whats the FDU?  Is that what you call the BBDU?

JayT

Quote from: link on March 11, 2008, 05:14:34 PM

I don't know about where you are but when I've been on base, I haven't seen a BDU in months.

Distinctive Field Uniform.

link

Quote from: JThemann on March 11, 2008, 05:16:53 PM

who else do you know that calls the BBDU the "DFU" ?  I've never heard anyone call it taht.

JoeTomasone

You know, if they would just rename the organization "U.S. Air Force Auxiliary", it would solve a LOT of problems that we have and the USCG Aux apparently does not.   But for several reasons, they will not, and perhaps should not.   T'would be interesting, tho.

davedove

Quote from: link on March 11, 2008, 06:12:02 PM
Quote from: JThemann on March 11, 2008, 05:16:53 PM

who else do you know that calls the BBDU the "DFU" ?  I've never heard anyone call it taht.

It is called the CAP Distinctive Field Uniform or just Field Uniform in the regs.  It is never called the Blue BDU.

However, many people do call it the Blue BDU in everyday use.  It's more a descriptive name than a nomenclature.  However, it is NOT the official name.

I try to call it the Field Uniform in official matters, but do find myself calling it the Blue BDU.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

JayT

Quote from: JoeTomasone on March 11, 2008, 06:28:45 PM
You know, if they would just rename the organization "U.S. Air Force Auxiliary", it would solve a LOT of problems that we have and the USCG Aux apparently does not.   But for several reasons, they will not, and perhaps should not.   T'would be interesting, tho.

Do you mean change our statues back to Air Force Auxiliary? Because I don't think changing our name would solve much of anything.

Yeah, I don't know many people who call it by its proper name. But DFU it is.

FW

Quote from: JoeTomasone on March 11, 2008, 06:28:45 PM

The name "Civil Air Patrol"  has been with us since day 1.  That's 1 Dec 1941.

We've been the Auxiliary of the USAF since 1948.   It would take another act of Congress to change our name and I don't think we want to get involved with that now.  

Our history is quite different from the USCGAux.  They have some advantages and some disadvantages compared to CAP and, I think, we are comparing apples to carrots. ;D