Technical safety officer check list question

Started by darkmatter, June 26, 2018, 12:59:40 AM

darkmatter

Under the technical level it says I need to Conduct at a minimum six safety briefings/meetings for the unit IAW CAPR 62-1. I just read this reg but I still don't know what counts as a safety briefings/meetings. Can some one show me in this reg where the answer is please thanks

etodd

I don't know the regs, but at every Senior meeting we have a safety officer who will give a sort 5 minute or so briefing. Sometimes it may be aircraft related, using checklists or approach to landing stalls, fuel management, weather, etc. Other times it may be more ground team related, like staying hydrated, watching for poison ivy, etc.   Sometimes he may show a related video or powerpoint.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

darkmatter

Yeah, this time around my commander doesint think I can use a monthly squadron safety brief unless I can show him the refs that allow it, but I can't find it even in the supposed refs where it's to be stated

lordmonar

Quote from: darkmatter on June 26, 2018, 02:55:49 AM
Yeah, this time around my commander doesint think I can use a monthly squadron safety brief unless I can show him the refs that allow it, but I can't find it even in the supposed refs where it's to be stated
That makes no sense.

But I would go to Wing Safety and/or Wing PDO to get their call on it.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

etodd

Quote from: darkmatter on June 26, 2018, 02:55:49 AM

I think your Commander has it backwards. Its up to him to show you where briefings at regular meetings do not count. I see nothing disqualifying them.  What does he want you to do? Call special meetings that no one will attend? And why only monthly? We have a safety briefing at every meeting.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

darkmatter

Quote from: lordmonar on June 26, 2018, 04:07:31 AM

I think I'll take that advice and talk to the wing safety

farsightusf2017

I am having trouble with my technician rating going through on eservices. What all has to be in eservices to go through?

Thanks!

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: darkmatter on June 26, 2018, 11:41:34 AM
Quote from: lordmonar on June 26, 2018, 04:07:31 AM

I think I'll take that advice and talk to the wing safety

Just be careful about being that guy who doesn't like the answer you got from your boss, so you go to Wing HQ to prove him wrong.

So, under CAPR 62-1, you have to perform monthly safety education for at least 15 minutes. This needs to be logged in eServices (under SIRS).

If you go into SIRS and look at the last 6 sessions you taught, that should suffice. Those are literally the required monthly safety education contact requirements under the regulation.

I would go higher, too, to get clarification. But I would keep your Commander as part of that process for visibility and that you're on the same page with the intent of determining the clarity and applicability of the standard.

Eclipse

Quote from: farsightusf2017 on November 16, 2018, 07:53:17 PM
I am having trouble with my technician rating going through on eservices. What all has to be in eservices to go through?

Thanks!

Your PDO has to complete the submission online, and the Unit CC has to approve it.

That's about it.

"That Others May Zoom"