Formal Promotions

Started by abysmal, March 14, 2005, 08:27:52 PM

abysmal

Looking for some guidance here.

The promotions I have observed over the past several months have been pretty informal. When I look back at my time in the Army, they were pretty formal events.

I would like to "upgrade" the Cadet Promotions and make it a bit more special than just handing out the new ribbon and grade insignia.

Any suggestions?

Are there any documents/certificates available to commemorate Cadet Promotions?
2LT Christopher M. Parrett
[red]Deputy Commander of Cadets, Cadet Programs Officer[/red]
London Bridge Composite Squadron 501
SWR-AZ-112,  Lake Havasu City, Arizona

SarDragon

Quote from: abysmal on March 14, 2005, 08:27:52 PM
Looking for some guidance here.

The promotions I have observed over the past several months have been pretty informal. When I look back at my time in the Army, they were pretty formal events.

I would like to "upgrade" the Cadet Promotions and make it a bit more special than just handing out the new ribbon and grade insignia.

Any suggestions?

Are there any documents/certificates available to commemorate Cadet Promotions?

I've never seen certificates associated with cadet promotions other than at the milestones, nor did I get any certificates associated with my promotions on active duty in the Navy. In both instances, however, there was always something in the way of a formal ceremony, sometimes simple, sometimes elaborate, depending on numbers of promotions and surrounding circumstances.

A "come to the front of the room, here ya go, return to your seat" style 'ceremony' is, IMHO, totally unacceptable. Members work hard for their promotions and deserve the best that their unit can give them in the way of a ceremony. I have seen parents invited to assist in pinning on the new rank, local elected officials attending to present the promotion, and other similar "nice touches" that make the time special.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

abysmal

Quote from: SarDragon on March 14, 2005, 09:03:57 PM

I've never seen certificates associated with cadet promotions other than at the milestones, nor did I get any certificates associated with my promotions on active duty in the Navy. In both instances, however, there was always something in the way of a formal ceremony, sometimes simple, sometimes elaborate, depending on numbers of promotions and surrounding circumstances.

A "come to the front of the room, here ya go, return to your seat" style 'ceremony' is, IMHO, totally unacceptable. Members work hard for their promotions and deserve the best that their unit can give them in the way of a ceremony. I have seen parents invited to assist in pinning on the new rank, local elected officials attending to present the promotion, and other similar "nice touches" that make the time special.

We are just one step above that.
The cadet comes forward salutes and then is presented with ribbon and grade.
Some of these cadets are working very hard to make the grade, and I am just looking for a way to make it more congratulatory for a job well done. They worked hard, they deserve proper recognition.

arajca

We have a promotion/awards ceremony the first meeting of each month. FOr each promotion we give a short speech about who the acheivement is named for and what the cadet had to do to complete it. For milestones, we invite vips, but seldom do they show up. We did have the Wing commander come for the last Mitchell we had.

abysmal

Quote from: arajca on March 14, 2005, 10:10:15 PM
We have a promotion/awards ceremony the first meeting of each month. FOr each promotion we give a short speech about who the acheivement is named for and what the cadet had to do to complete it. For milestones, we invite vips, but seldom do they show up. We did have the Wing commander come for the last Mitchell we had.

This is a step in the direction I was thinking.
Where can I find a "breif" clip on each of the promotions

Cmdbuddy

Quote from: abysmal on March 14, 2005, 10:26:47 PM

Open up the Leadership Books and review the Special Readings assosciated with each Leadership Chapter.  You can write up your own little blurb about who each Achievement is named after.  Shouldn't take you long at all. 
Christie Ducote, Capt, CAP

abysmal

Quote from: Cmdbuddy on March 14, 2005, 10:53:00 PM

Need to go find it online, so I can do a clean Cut & Paste and put something together.

Open up the Leadership Books and review the Special Readings assosciated with each Leadership Chapter.  You can write up your own little blurb about who each Achievement is named after.  Shouldn't take you long at all. 

whatevah

Back when I was in a unit, I (as Cadet Commander) would do the promotions for all NCOs.

It would be done at the closing formation (on the drill pad of a National Guard Amory, so lots of room).  I would call attention, then call the cadet, front and center. After the salutes, I would give the about face (so he faces the unit), and while pinning on the new grade, say that Cadet ____ has passed all of the tests and criteria for the ___ Achievement, and is being promoted to Cadet  Staff Sergeant or whatever.  Then, I'd walk back around, give the about face, salute as the unit claps and "Return to ranks".

The Squadron commander usually did the officer promotions, except for the milestones.
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

abysmal

Do you think it would be appropriate to recount the scores that the cadet acheived on each of the tests?

whatevah

only if they got straight 100s.
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

abysmal

Quote from: whatevah on March 14, 2005, 11:39:56 PM

So if its not OUTSTANDING, then it doesn't exist at all.

whatevah

well, I see no point in telling what the grades were, unless they were perfect.  the cadet may not be proud of getting straight 80 grades... I should wouldn't be.
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

MIKE

Quote from: abysmal on March 14, 2005, 11:45:16 PM
Quote from: whatevah on March 14, 2005, 11:39:56 PM

So if its not OUTSTANDING, then it doesn't exist at all.

I wouldn't mention test scores publicly regardless... I might however use them as a means to help determine which cadets are most qualified for future promotions or special duty assignments... Along with general aptitude.
Mike Johnston

abysmal

sounds like good advice to me.

arajca

For example, the Curry.
"The first acheivement a cadet completes is named after Gen. Curry, the first commander of Civil Air Patrol. As he established CAP and set the basis for CAP operations for the future, it is appropriate that the first step a cadet takes in the program bears his name. To complete this achievement, the cadet passes a leadership test, CPFT, demonstrates they know how to wear the uniform correctly, and can perform basic drill manuevers." I then call each cadet who has completed the achievment up individually for pinning and presentation of the ribbon.

Something like this is great if you have parents and visitors for the promotion ceremony. It impresses them with the importance of the award - even if we in CAP don't see it in quite the same way.

abysmal

BINGO!

That is just the sort of thing I am looking for.

abysmal

Last night I took a couple minutes to go over the new promotion formality with each of the cadets and let them know the proper way to come forward and what we would be doing from now on.

They seemed to appreciate having the whole proceedure clearly explained to them.
Will be interesting to see how it goes on the next promotion night.

Question.
Should promotions be done outside in formation or inside?

Thus far this squadron has done ALL promotions inside the classroom.
Strikes me that it would be better done outside in formation.
Any guidance on this?

Major_Chuck

Promotions, whether it is cadet or senior should be a BIG deal.  It has been mentioned that here that people work hard for their promotions, regardless of rank and age.  People thrive off of recognition, make it something worthy of their efforts.

As for announcing scores.  No, I would recommend against that.  Some people may find testing easy and score high while others may struggle to achieve a grade that just gets them to the next level.  The award/promotion is about their achievement, not a test score number.

A side note to that:  If someone really struggled and numerous people mentored him/her through it recognize that fact and recognize those that helped him or her get to the next level.

Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

abysmal

Quote from: Major_Chuck on March 15, 2005, 07:49:43 PM

A side note to that:  If someone really struggled and numerous people mentored him/her through it recognize that fact and recognize those that helped him or her get to the next level.

EXCELLANT Idea Sir.

At this point we do not have a mentoring program of any sort, and the failure rate on testing is quite high. But once we get that up and running I think it would do a world of good to acknowlege those who played a significant role in helping the cadet make the grade.

CAPSGT

My old squadron more or less did the report, commander says good job as he pins on the new rank, cadet goes back to their flight.

My new squadron actually makes it very formal.  They borrowed the text of the Army (I think it's Army) promotion orders, put them on a little certificate that gets read aloud and handed out with each promotion.
MICHAEL A. CROCKETT, Lt Col, CAP
Assistant Communications Officer, Wicomico Composite Squadron