Russian rocket search

Started by SAR-EMT1, January 05, 2007, 08:24:39 AM

SAR-EMT1

I recieved word -via cnn  http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/space/01/04/russia.rocket.ap/index.html
that the Russians lost a rocket booster in NORADs backyard. Are we assisting in anyway?
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

bosshawk

From what I read in the paper this AM, NORAD basically assumed the "ho-hum" stance, since this was a Russian SL-4 booster burning up in the atmosphere.  No telling how long the thing had been in orbit.  Cheyenne Mt did comment that the boosters normally burn up over the ocean and nobody sees them.  Having spent some time in the space business, it is very doubtful that anything actually made it to earth, even though NORAD said that the debris was falling toward southern CO/Northern NM.

Anyone have more info?
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

floridacyclist

I figure it's unrelated, but Tues night my wife and I saw a long green meteor South of Tallahassee that disappeared behind the trees, still burning brightly. A couple of days later, she sent me a news story about a house in New Jersey that had been struck by an unidentified metallic object that punched through the ceiling and embedded itself in a wall. While it did not specifically say that the object had fallen from space, it implied the tar out of it leaving only the question in my mind of how it had managed to get cooled off enough to not start a fire.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: floridacyclist on January 05, 2007, 07:22:33 PM
I figure it's unrelated, but Tues night my wife and I saw a long green meteor South of Tallahassee that disappeared behind the trees, still burning brightly. A couple of days later, she sent me a news story about a house in New Jersey that had been struck by an unidentified metallic object that punched through the ceiling and embedded itself in a wall. While it did not specifically say that the object had fallen from space, it implied the tar out of it leaving only the question in my mind of how it had managed to get cooled off enough to not start a fire.

Gene:

That "Meteor" was the TP/NHQ spy sattelite monitoring e-mails and blogs out of Florida.  We finally hit critical mass on Tuesday, and sent it spinning out of control. ::) 
Another former CAP officer

lordmonar

Quote from: bosshawk on January 05, 2007, 06:26:59 PM
From what I read in the paper this AM, NORAD basically assumed the "ho-hum" stance, since this was a Russian SL-4 booster burning up in the atmosphere.  No telling how long the thing had been in orbit.  Cheyenne Mt did comment that the boosters normally burn up over the ocean and nobody sees them.  Having spent some time in the space business, it is very doubtful that anything actually made it to earth, even though NORAD said that the debris was falling toward southern CO/Northern NM.

Anyone have more info?

According to the article it was launched in December....and as you say it was not that big of a deal.  Space Command tracks everything bigger than a 1/2" in size.  The knew it was up there, they knew it was comming down....just not exactly where and when.   Now they just want to find it to study it.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

lordmonar

Quote from: floridacyclist on January 05, 2007, 07:22:33 PM

I saw a big green meteor on Wednesday Night East of Las Vegas.

Meteors are not really that hot as they fall. 

Here is a link to some infor http://curious.astro.cornell.edu/question.php?number=215

Al Sayre

Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

lordmonar

SarDragon

Quote from: lordmonar on January 05, 2007, 09:46:56 PM
Quote from: Al Sayre on January 05, 2007, 09:44:16 PM
It was the Lochnar!

Okay....I'll bite...what is a Lochnar?

Watch the movie Heavy Metal (the original one) and you will know!
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

RocketPropelled

Quote from: SarDragon on January 05, 2007, 09:51:54 PM
Okay....I'll bite...what is a Loc-Nar?
Watch the movie Heavy Metal (the original one) and you will know!

Lesson learned rom the AAR of Heavy Metal:

If you come across a floating, glowing, pulsing green sphere, you probably don't want it.

arajca

lordmonar

Quote from: arajca on January 06, 2007, 12:00:30 AM
It was the Lochnar!

Another deprived fromer child. *sigh*

As soon as he said Heavey Metal I knew what he was talking about....in fact I just ordered the DVD from Block Buster so I can start educating my children on Heavy Metal.  (they have to close there eyes and leave the room for a couple of scenes  :))

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

MIKE

I looked it up on IMDb... Do you get a pass if the movie came out the year you were born?
Mike Johnston

SarDragon

Quote from: MIKE on January 06, 2007, 03:01:25 AM
I looked it up on IMDb... Do you get a pass if the movie came out the year you were born?

Dunno. Hey, olde guys, whatcha think?  ;)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

BillB

::::::Watching the Black Van from Maxwell headed south on I-95 from Jacksonville::::
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

JTodd

I heard on the radio this AM that parts landed near Riverton Wyoming.
Maj  John Todd
Cloud Peak Composite
Sheridan, WY

lordmonar

Quote from: MIKE on January 06, 2007, 03:01:25 AM

No, but those of use who saw it in the theaters my beat the living hell out of your being too damb young for your own good! ;D

Al Sayre

Quote from: SarDragon on January 06, 2007, 02:49:07 AM
It was the Lochnar!

Even worse, Al missed it as an adult.

Huh?  I saw it at the theatre in it's first run, and there's a really funny story that goes with it that I can't repeat in polite company.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

SarDragon

Quote from: Al Sayre on January 06, 2007, 09:45:30 PM
Quote from: SarDragon on January 06, 2007, 02:49:07 AM
It was the Lochnar!

Even worse, Al missed it as an adult.

Huh?  I saw it at the theatre in it's first run, and there's a really funny story that goes with it that I can't repeat in polite company.

Then why did you ask "Okay....I'll bite...what is a Lochnar?" Being the tieing point among all the segments, I'd think it would be difficult to forget.

YMMV.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

arajca

Quote from: SarDragon on January 07, 2007, 04:42:16 AM
Then why did you ask "Okay....I'll bite...what is a Lochnar?" Being the tieing point among all the segments, I'd think it would be difficult to forget.

YMMV.
That was lordmonar who asked, not Al.

lordmonar

Come on Dave!

What do you have against me!?!

SarDragon

Quote from: lordmonar on January 07, 2007, 05:30:37 AM
Come on Dave!

What do you have against me!?!

OOPS! My sincere apologies to both of you. And it wasn't bad quoting, either. Maybe I oughta quit posting so [early | late] in the day.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret