New radio distribution information

Started by arajca, December 04, 2006, 03:15:02 PM

arajca

Over the weekend,  the NTC has put out some information regarding the shipping of the new radio and repeater equipment. This information has been checked for FOUO compliance.

Eclipse

Can anyone comment on why this, or anything else recently released, would be considered "dismal news"?

I pinged out DC and he was dispondent about recent news, but did not eleborate.   ???

"That Others May Zoom"

arajca

Probably because:
1. You're on Comm freeze.
2. The DC hasn't completed his planning.
3. Your wing is not geting as many repeaters, etc, as the DC wanted.
4. Some of the accessory equipment for your current repeaters is in needs replacement and National isn't replacing it.
5. His personal corporate radio is being reassigned to the person who is supposed to get it.
6. ???

Johnny Yuma

There is a lot of heartburn with many DC's over the loss of funding for things like antennas, hardline, brackets, etc. that were supposed to be covered but now aren't but in a few cases. As the repeaters procurement went along, more and more stuff that was promised got unpromised for one reason or another.

Also, the amount of equipment each wing is getting coincides with the Tables of Allowances. Every Wing is judged the same based on ground operators qualified or training in MIMS. Lose ES operators, lose equipment.
Assignment of equipment is based on the TA - DC's have to have a issue based on the TA and MIMS. Any violation of this will in the future be a finding on the annual Log Audit, SAV, SUI, and CI.

By and large, every Wing's probably getting more equipment than they've ever had before but the DC's are having to justify it to get it and keep it. If your Wing DC is high speed you'll be OK, if not you're in trouble.
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

Eclipse

Quote from: Johnny Yuma on December 09, 2006, 05:13:42 PMEvery Wing is judged the same based on ground operators qualified or training in MIMS. Lose ES operators, lose equipment.

Which is why we need to stop running our Comms like we're a frickin' HAM CLUB!

"That Others May Zoom"

arajca

Quote from: Johnny Yuma on December 09, 2006, 05:13:42 PM
There is a lot of heartburn with many DC's over the loss of funding for things like antennas, hardline, brackets, etc. that were supposed to be covered but now aren't but in a few cases. As the repeaters procurement went along, more and more stuff that was promised got unpromised for one reason or another.
Between the time the initial proposals were developed and monies got approved and bids were solicited, the costs went up. The folks at national had to make a decision - do we get the max number of repeaters we can justify or do we cut that number down and get accessories? They decided (wisely, IMHO) to go with the repeaters. Yes, some sites are getting new accessories (antenna, hardline, etc), but only because 1. the DC was able to document the servere need for it and 2. there was money available.

QuoteAlso, the amount of equipment each wing is getting coincides with the Tables of Allowances. Every Wing is judged the same based on ground operators qualified or training in MIMS. Lose ES operators, lose equipment.
Assignment of equipment is based on the TA - DC's have to have a issue based on the TA and MIMS. Any violation of this will in the future be a finding on the annual Log Audit, SAV, SUI, and CI.
There is a procedure for changing the TA which the DC's have been made aware of. It isn't easy, but it is doable. One thing National and the AF tried to accomplish with the TA is the get rid of trophy radios. You know, the ones the unit commander gets because he is the commander, even though he has no ES quals that require it. They also want to get CAP out of the habit of stashing comm equipment in closets "just in case it's needed" while the units in the field go without or buy their own.

QuoteBy and large, every Wing's probably getting more equipment than they've ever had before but the DC's are having to justify it to get it and keep it. If your Wing DC is high speed you'll be OK, if not you're in trouble.
I haven't heard the continual justification to keep it arguement before. The only times I heard that justifications would be needed are 1. for assets over the TA quantities and 2. changing the TA, which #1. should be leading to.

Johnny Yuma

Quote from: Eclipse on December 09, 2006, 05:21:06 PM
Quote from: Johnny Yuma on December 09, 2006, 05:13:42 PMEvery Wing is judged the same based on ground operators qualified or training in MIMS. Lose ES operators, lose equipment.

Which is why we need to stop running our Comms like we're a frickin' HAM CLUB!

What's even more important is that the DC's at the unit and Wing level need to work with their Command and ES/OPS people to make certain they understand the TA. In my wing we have a couple units who believe that cadets are for marching around and making the unit CC look good but are (unofficially) discouraged from participating in ES, all the while the CC's official stance is that ES isn't part of the cadet program and their participation isn't necessary. I torqued the unit CC pretty good when I told him his charade was going to cost his unit equipment in the end.

Johnny Y.
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Johnny Yuma

Quote from: arajca on December 09, 2006, 07:02:12 PM
Quote from: Johnny Yuma on December 09, 2006, 05:13:42 PM
Between the time the initial proposals were developed and monies got approved and bids were solicited, the costs went up. The folks at national had to make a decision - do we get the max number of repeaters we can justify or do we cut that number down and get accessories? They decided (wisely, IMHO) to go with the repeaters. Yes, some sites are getting new accessories (antenna, hardline, etc), but only because 1. the DC was able to document the servere need for it and 2. there was money available.

QuoteAlso, the amount of equipment each wing is getting coincides with the Tables of Allowances. Every Wing is judged the same based on ground operators qualified or training in MIMS. Lose ES operators, lose equipment.
There is a procedure for changing the TA which the DC's have been made aware of. It isn't easy, but it is doable. One thing National and the AF tried to accomplish with the TA is the get rid of trophy radios. You know, the ones the unit commander gets because he is the commander, even though he has no ES quals that require it. They also want to get CAP out of the habit of stashing comm equipment in closets "just in case it's needed" while the units in the field go without or buy their own.

QuoteBy and large, every Wing's probably getting more equipment than they've ever had before but the DC's are having to justify it to get it and keep it. If your Wing DC is high speed you'll be OK, if not you're in trouble.
I haven't heard the continual justification to keep it arguement before. The only times I heard that justifications would be needed are 1. for assets over the TA quantities and 2. changing the TA, which #1. should be leading to.

The problem with the lack of funding for repeater accessories is that many Wings simply won't have the funds to do this. Material alone for an average installation can easily run $3,000 or more and tower climbers will cost every bit that much as well.

If you're lucky you can get free tower space but you may still have to pony up $5,000 or more for the tower engineering/RF survey that guarantees (by decree from 2 engineers with Master's degrees, licenses and insurance) that your install will neither make the tower fall over nor will your radios interfere with the other equipment on the tower.

Some wings have the cash to cover this, most do not. Most will never have this kind of money for one install. My Wing's looking at 6.

The trophy radio situation isn't a big issue in my Wing, but I know it is in many. Comm staff, GTL's and IC's are guaranteed equipment, in some cases multiple equipment issues.

There is supposed to be a new TA out early next year based on new MIMS data. I suspect that since the mission critical equipment is issued the only numbers affected will be Mission essential.

" Skip a bit, brother."

arajca

What has been found is that many of the current accessories used with the current repeaters are still good. They can be used with the new repeaters. A few that cannot and have been properly justifed are being replaced.

One problem that occured is mant DC's thought they would be getting new everything - repeater, hardline, batteries, antenna, etc - and broadcast that to their members. Then they found out they weren't and suddenly it's National's fault the wing isn't getting what the DC expected, even though all that was promised was the repeater.

Johnny Yuma

Quote from: arajca on December 10, 2006, 12:29:51 AM
What has been found is that many of the current accessories used with the current repeaters are still good. They can be used with the new repeaters. A few that cannot and have been properly justifed are being replaced.

One problem that occured is mant DC's thought they would be getting new everything - repeater, hardline, batteries, antenna, etc - and broadcast that to their members. Then they found out they weren't and suddenly it's National's fault the wing isn't getting what the DC expected, even though all that was promised was the repeater.

I (personally) never expected to replace any of the existing repeater site hardware. I've been able to replace most of these antennas over the last couple years so for my Wing that was a nonissue. My trouble is no $$$ for hardware for the new sites.

" Skip a bit, brother."

ELTHunter

Quote from: arajca on December 09, 2006, 07:02:12 PM

I'm not critizing the TA, as it looks OK for my Wing as long as the equipment gets issued out according to the TA.  However, the issue of the radios getting stashed in a closet at Wing seems to still be a real possibility and I fail to see how a document is going to get around that.  Rumor has it that our Wing has had several of the hand helds in a closet for a while now, and I've yet to see any of them in the field except being carried by a Wing staff member.
Maj. Tim Waddell, CAP
SER-TN-170
Deputy Commander of Cadets
Emergency Services Officer