What else should be on the CAP National Museum Web Page

Started by RiverAux, November 04, 2008, 10:32:03 PM

RiverAux

Some of you are probably familiar with the CAP National Museum web site http://www.caphistory.org/index.html .  This is a fairly nice site, but I have been disappointed that very few things have been added to it since it went up. 

So, what else would I like to see on the site:

Here are the fairly easy things:
1.  PDFs of all the old CAP Historical Monographs that the CAP Bookstore used to sell.
2.  Listing of all past CAP National Commanders with a link to a photo and bio of each.
3.  Listing of ALL members who have died in CAP service.  I was fairly outraged that the latest CAP history book only listed those who died in WWII and ignored the dozens that have died honorably since then. 
4.  Listing of all Spaatz cadets, dates, and Wings
5.  Listing of all Medal of Valor receipients along with dates and wings.  For extra credit, they should also describe the circumstances of each award. 

Long-term, more difficult projects:
1.  Make PDFs of all CAP Annual Reports to Congress and post them on the site.
2.  PDFs of transcripts of oral history interviews with CAP members (required for Historian Senior rating).
3.  Online publication site for CAP historical monograhs required for Historian Master rating --
             Hint - Those with national-level access could very quickly search CAPWATCH to obtain a list of all those with the Historian Master Rating and could then contact them for copies of their publications. 
4.  Online publication site for squadron, wing, and region annual histories. 

So, anything else to add?

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

tarheel gumby

RiverAux, I think that you hit the nail on the head. That would make things easier on all of us that are below the wing level. One thing to add though would be a directory of active CAP Historians to help with networking
Quote from: RiverAux on November 04, 2008, 10:32:03 PM
Some of you are probably familiar with the CAP National Museum web site http://www.caphistory.org/index.html .  This is a fairly nice site, but I have been disappointed that very few things have been added to it since it went up. 

1.  PDFs of all the old CAP Historical Monographs that the CAP Bookstore used to sell.
2.  Listing of all past CAP National Commanders with a link to a photo and bio of each.
3.  Listing of ALL members who have died in CAP service.  I was fairly outraged that the latest CAP history book only listed those who died in WWII and ignored the dozens that have died honorably since then. 
5.  Listing of all Medal of Valor receipients along with dates and wings.  For extra credit, they should also describe the circumstances of each award. 

2.  PDFs of transcripts of oral history interviews with CAP members (required for Historian Senior rating).
3.  Online publication site for CAP historical monograhs required for Historian Master rating --
             Hint - Those with national-level access could very quickly search CAPWATCH to obtain a list of all those with the Historian Master Rating and could then contact them for copies of their publications. 

Joseph Myers Maj. CAP
Squadron Historian MER NC 019
Historian MER NC 001
Historian MER 001

tarheel gumby

I am working on a Honor Roll to list all NCWG members that have died in the line of duty not just WWII. I had noticed that there was not a memorial to any of these members, at least not in NC
Joseph Myers Maj. CAP
Squadron Historian MER NC 019
Historian MER NC 001
Historian MER 001

RiverAux

Quote from: SarDragon on November 05, 2008, 02:02:04 AM
Who's going to pay for it - with time and/or money?
I'd say that everything in my "easy" column wouldn't cost a dime and I'm fairly sure that some of those items are probably already in electronic format and the others wouldn't be any trouble at all to scan and post. 

The latter items would be more trouble, but nothing I listed would be terribly expensive. 

QuoteThat would make things easier on all of us that are below the wing level. One thing to add though would be a directory of active CAP Historians to help with networking
Well, that is really the sort of thing that could probably be better done in e-services since most historian appointments should be in CAPWATCH. 

James Shaw

Alot of that list is currently being worked on. The "money" is what is holding it back at the moment. Some historians are trying to do the work themselves.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - Current
USCGA:2018 - Current
SGAUS: 2017 - Current

ol'fido

I didn't think there were enough photos of old time CAP. How about copying the photos that used to show up in the "Way Back When" pages of the old CAP News.

Also, full color photos and/or graphics of the current CAP ribbons and medals.

Also, have a member's submissions section.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

PlaneFlyr

I agree with a lot of what you recommended.  Some are already in work.

There is a CAP Memorial, but it will not go on display until the renovation of National Headquarters is complete.  It is intended to honor the memory of those who have died in the line of duty with CAP. 

Many of the lists are being put together and verified now. 

Thanks for the recommendations.
Lt Col Todd Engelman, CAP
Historian
President of the Medal of Valor Association

es_g0d

One mentioned item, the Spaatz Award list, is readily available from The Spaatz Association website:
http://www.spaatz.org/mbr/list.php

If anyone has said items, CONTRIBUTE them!  If you have a copy of the old monograph, scan it to .pdf and email it in to the folks at the museum.  Its just too easy to say "someone outta." 

/\/\/\
\/\/\/ #1179
Good luck and good hunting,
-Scott
www.CAP-ES.net

PlaneFlyr

Quote from: es_g0d on January 28, 2009, 07:09:24 AM
One mentioned item, the Spaatz Award list, is readily available from The Spaatz Association website:
http://www.spaatz.org/mbr/list.php

If anyone has said items, CONTRIBUTE them!  If you have a copy of the old monograph, scan it to .pdf and email it in to the folks at the museum.  Its just too easy to say "someone outta." 
I concur.  The history of CAP belongs to all of us.  So if you have something in your old files that could be useful, help out and share.

The CAP History site could possibly just link to the Spaatz Assc. member list, since the Spaatzen have a vested interest in keeping their list current.  Same could be true of the (future) Medal of Valor Assc. website listing.
Lt Col Todd Engelman, CAP
Historian
President of the Medal of Valor Association

DC

Maybe a page detailing the evolution of CAP uniforms..

There is already something similar on the CadetStuff Wiki, but something more up to date, complete, and accurate would be cool.

ThorntonOL

All the old CAP NEWS and similar older National Newsletters, even some of the wing and region newsletters. Just for my unit alone I have copies of four different newsletters we tried putting together. Then there's the old CAP news which between my dad and I have about half to two thirds of the ones from Aug 2000 till our former commander changed it.
I would have almost all of them in PDF format but the old CAP.Gov website's links don't work anymore and I have yet to see them on the new website.
Former 1st Lt. Oliver L. Thornton
NY-292
Broome Tioga Composite Squadron

RickFranz

Quote from: DC on January 28, 2009, 01:35:41 PM

There is already something similar on the CadetStuff Wiki, but something more up to date, complete, and accurate would be cool.

I like the idea about the uniforms.  I would also like to see the Squadron/Wing patches displayed as a pdf.  Maybe by Wing, Region.
Rick Franz, Col, CAP
KSWG CC
Gill Rob Wilson #2703
IC1

Stonewall

Quote from: RickFranz on January 29, 2009, 12:03:16 AM
Quote from: DC on January 28, 2009, 01:35:41 PM

I like the idea about the uniforms.  I would also like to see the Squadron/Wing patches displayed as a pdf.  Maybe by Wing, Region.

I'll donate my CAP jungle fatigues circa 1990 when they were briefly authorized. 

Serving since 1987.

ascorbate

Some of you are probably familiar with the CAP National Museum web site http://www.caphistory.org/index.html

Nope, I did not know about www.caphistory.org until I saw mention of it here in this forum. I don't recall seeing it in any web searches for "civil air patrol" either... thanx for posting.

I'd like to suggest inclusion of defunct squadron names and patches from CAP units that are no longer around. When I joined CAP in the Spring of 1975 (please don't do the math), I was a member of the Gunpowder Composite Squadron (18026) which held it's weekly meetings and other weekend activities at a deactivated Nike Missile Launch Site (BA-09) in Fork, MD, a pix of which can be found at: http://wikimapia.org/1646413/Former-NIKE-Missile-Launch-Site-BA-09
Dr. Mark A. Kukucka, Lt Col, CAP
Missions Directorate (A7), MD-001
Carl A. Spaatz Award #569
Gill Robb Wilson Award #3004