Main Menu

need to scatter some ashes

Started by ozone, April 02, 2019, 01:17:19 PM

ozone

I am hoping some CAP members from the Portland/Vancouver area have some ideas here.  If anyone can direct me to options for rental planes, charitable pilots, other ideas? 

My aunt is ready to scatter my uncle's ashes out to sea.  I will be in the PDX area for this around the end of May.  If folks have some ideas on how I can get this accomplished for her, I would really appreciate it.

thanks for any ideas/replies.

Maj. Jackson Maddux
St. Croix Squadron- MN

TheSkyHornet

To scatter at sea by air, you'll need to notify the EPA, and the ashes must be scattered at least 3 nautical miles from the nearest shoreline. There isn't an FAA restriction on it (cremation remains are not HAZMAT/Dangerous Goods). The urn/vessel must be disposed of separately (not thrown out of the aircraft window).

You should consider the method by which you dump the ashes out of the aircraft (how you plan to transfer the ashes from the interior to the exterior, avoiding "blow back" where the ashes return inside the aircraft---you don't want a mouthful).

I can't speak for who is willing to permit it, since I don't live up that way. A flight school or air charter may be willing. I'll let the Oregonians chime in on that.

Does it have to be by air, or is there a by-sea (i.e., boat) option?

etodd

^^^ Avoid blowback.   Rubber hose held out the window. Will create a vacuum in the hose. Other end carefully use in box to vacuum out remains. Clean, simple, and efficient.

If no CAP members there, call any FBO and find a Independent CFI. They'll keep the process "simple".  :)
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

THRAWN

Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

baronet68

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on April 02, 2019, 01:52:56 PM
The urn/vessel must be disposed of separately (not thrown out of the aircraft window).

For a sea dispersal, if using one of those Himalayan salt urns available online, the entire urn could be literally thrown out of the aircraft (as long as it doesn't create a hazard to persons or property below).  Assuming the salt urn doesn't break upon impact with the water, it will dissolve and sink within a few hours.

Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: baronet68 on April 02, 2019, 05:22:34 PM
Quote from: TheSkyHornet on April 02, 2019, 01:52:56 PM
The urn/vessel must be disposed of separately (not thrown out of the aircraft window).

For a sea dispersal, if using one of those Himalayan salt urns available online, the entire urn could be literally thrown out of the aircraft (as long as it doesn't create a hazard to persons or property below).  Assuming the salt urn doesn't break upon impact with the water, it will dissolve and sink within a few hours.

True.

An urn is only allowed to be "scattered" with the ashes if it's biodegradable. If it's marble or bronze, it has to be disposed of separately (unless kept, obviously).

Like I said, you might want to consider using a boat rather than an airplane. It may be logistically easier, and cleaner. And allows for a little ceremony at that time.

NIN

I've been involved with more than a few of these in freefall and from a plane. The logistics are pretty substantial, and as has been mentioned, the potential for "blowback" is pretty high.

Its not as easy as "Hey, lets rent a 172 and crack the door." As much as it seems that it should be.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

PHall

A friend of mine and his brother scattered their Dad's ashes over the ocean. Used a Super Cub and flew with the window open.
Guy in the back seat got the urn all the way out and below the window opening before he opened the lid. Didn't get any "blow back".

ozone

Thinking of using this as an ashes delivery device:
https://www.passagesinternational.com/biodegradable-urns/water/economy-pillow/

I like the idea of a salt urn too.  Have to check if they make one that looks like a file folder since a cessna window doesnt open very far....

Thanks for the warnings and advice so far!  I contacted the EPA, that part of the process is pretty simple since you report after you've scattered the ashes. 

Johnny Yuma

Check with your funeral home as to any local or state laws on this. Some states have some silly regulations on disposing of cremains.
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

ozone

I'm grasping at straws here,  but I am hoping that someone knows someone in the Portland area that can help. I'm looking for a Cessna of some sort to be able to help my aunt drop off my uncle's ashes offshore near Astoria.

I'm in the area this weekend and an unfortunate combination of weather, CFI availability  for checkride access, and plane maintenance have all combined to prevent me from renting from (literally) every FBO within 30 miles of Portland.

Im hoping that someone on this thread can help me with finding a high wing of some sort to help out tomorrow morning or Sunday morning. I have the ashes wrapped up, all it needs is an open window and there's no risk of scattering since it'll be a package drop. My aunt wants me to accompany her, so a 4 seater plane would be ideal.

If anyone can help, please call/text me at: nine70-309-770two

Maj. Jackson Maddux

etodd

Quote from: ozone on May 17, 2019, 06:37:18 PM

I have the ashes wrapped up, all it needs is an open window and there's no risk of scattering since it'll be a package drop.

Is it going to float????
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

ozone

The Deed has been done. The ashes were placed  in mulberry paper, wrapped like a burrito. The package was then tied up with cotton string. In a Cessna 150, we flew the  requisite 3 miles offshore at 5000 feet.
I slowed to 65mph, with 10 degrees of flaps, and started a gentle turn to the right. My aunt then tossed the package out the window. It dropped out of site immediately. From 5000 feet, I expect that it exploded upon impact with the water.

If anyone needs advice or ideas should they need to dispense with ashes, I'm happy to answer questions and give links of the places where I bought the mulberry paper and so on.