Main Menu

Stolen Valor

Started by dogboy, November 13, 2009, 12:21:55 AM

a2capt

Did you reach in and break his arm?

Thats just wrong.

Eclipse

Quote from: wingnut55 on May 12, 2010, 04:29:56 PMI know of another CAP guy who claims he was a seal during Vietnam, but he forgot his uncle was my Squadron CO and he was about 4 years younger than me. Vietnam was over in 1975 (most ground combat troops officially out 1973??) and I was 20 so he would have been 16.

Maybe he was in the infantry!   ;D

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eclipse on May 12, 2010, 05:22:11 PM
Quote from: wingnut55 on May 12, 2010, 04:29:56 PMI know of another CAP guy who claims he was a seal during Vietnam, but he forgot his uncle was my Squadron CO and he was about 4 years younger than me. Vietnam was over in 1975 (most ground combat troops officially out 1973??) and I was 20 so he would have been 16.

Maybe he was in the infantry!   ;D

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823126042&cm_re=keyboard_and_mouse_combo-_-23-126-042-_-Product

I'll send you the bill sir.

davidb1986

I'm not trying to make an excuse for any of these people, but I can kinda understand what goes through their mind. I wanted to be in the military since I was 8. I tried to join at 18 but they found a bad heart condition (yes my physical at MEPS saved my life) and I was disqualified from military service. It was all I dreamed about. I would never impersoninate (sp?) military personnel but it is a big disappointment not to be able to follow your dream. I was a CAP cadet and then later a flight officer but had to stop CAP for a few years to get better. I am hopefully going to rejoin this month. CAP is the closest I will ever be to join the military. All of my CAP friends are either in the Air Force or Marines and I want to be serving with them so badly. Maybe some of these people had dreams or being a Marine or a SEAL, but couldn't, and that's why they do what they do, not realizing it is wrong and dishonorable. Again I'm not making excuses for them but I am going to play the devil's advocate in this post. Trust me I think it is absolutely totally 400% wrong what these people have done, but there HAS to be a reason in the grand scheme of things to why they where dressing up as military personnel or wore unearned awards.

OHHH will I get my old CAPID back or get a new one I liked my old one........

SarDragon

Most folks I know that have rejoined have retained their old CAPID.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

JoeTomasone

WIWAC, I had my SS# as my CAPSN..   When I came back as a S/M, I got a new CAPID.    But hey, it's shorter..

(Realized after posting that this is drifting the thread further, mods, feel free to remove if you like..)

PhoenixRisen

Posing as something you're not, especially as a military member is horrible, and sadly, the internet opens up many a door for posers.

There was a guy that used to be as a moderator on another cadet / military related forum I'm on.  Claimed to have been a Marine helicopter mechanic in Vietnam who served as a DI and made Sergeant.  Very smart dude, knew a hell of alot about all things military, and was one of the first members of the forum, so no one questioned him.

It came out later that he had been embellishing his military career to others via PM to include a Bronze Star w/ "V", Silver Star, DFC, multiple Purple Hearts, Navy Combat Aircrew Wings, and (get this) Naval Flight Officer wings, as an enlistedman.  He claimed that he had volunteered multiple times to go out on missions with the infantry guys, and he "earned" his NFO wings when the aircrew of his chopper was killed, and he piloted it back to base.

A huge investigation was launched, and it turned out that even his initial claims wern't even true.  Was never a DI, nor was he a Sgt (busted down to LCpl, more than once).  Good thing he was caught, 'cause he was using his claims to run for the Arizona Legislature:

http://www.pownetwork.org/phonies/phonies511.htm

raivo

Quote from: PhoenixCadet on May 15, 2010, 06:30:06 AMand he "earned" his NFO wings when the aircrew of his chopper was killed, and he piloted it back to base.

Hahaha. Just like that, eh?

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: raivo on May 15, 2010, 07:32:22 AM
Hahaha. Just like that, eh?

Aparrently some people, even those with a familiarity of the military, will believe anything...

Short Field

Some people are just too polite to call a bald-face liar out in front of other people. 

We have a local guy (non-CAP) who insists he is a F-15, F-4, F-22, F-16, KC-10 pilot who flew on the Thunderbirds Team, is a retired O6, never had to do UPT because he was such a great pilot and had a multi-engine commercial CFI license when he joined, former Wing Commander, etc, etc, etc.  Everyone in our social group knows he is lying because he can't keep his stories straight (and one of our group has assess to records and confirmed he is not retired USAF).  His name is also missing from any roster of Thunderbird team members.  He also keeps getting called back on active duty to help solve problems.  He has lots of details that would snow your average civilian but fall apart around career military.   He is at least smart enough to not claim any medals for valor as that would get him called out.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

a2capt

How the heck can you claim you're a Thunderbirds pilot and expect to get away with that. Thats just insane.

Ugh.

davidsinn

Quote from: a2capt on May 16, 2010, 02:41:36 AM
How the heck can you claim you're a Thunderbirds pilot and expect to get away with that. Thats just insane.

Ugh.

Is it even possible to be a Phantom driver and a Raptor driver?
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

SarDragon

Yes, but highly unlikely.

The Wild Weasel F-4s retired in 1996, and the Raptor was introduced in 2005.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

lordmonar

Quote from: SarDragon on May 16, 2010, 05:07:23 AM

They still fly the FQ-4 as target drones....so it is feasible (but highly unlikely) that he was an Edwards Test pilot type....and collected a lot of exotic birds.

But yea....you usually can start smelling the BS on these guys once you find their inconsistencies.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

PHall

Quote from: lordmonar on May 16, 2010, 05:24:27 AM

They still fly the FQ-4 as target drones....so it is feasible (but highly unlikely) that he was an Edwards Test pilot type....and collected a lot of exotic birds.

But yea....you usually can start smelling the BS on these guys once you find their inconsistencies.

Actually, it could happen at Tyndall AFB, FL. That's where they have both the remaining QF-4 drones and the F-22 schoolhouse.
Not saying it's likely, but in theory, it's quasi-possible.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: PHall on May 16, 2010, 06:29:12 AM
Quote from: lordmonar on May 16, 2010, 05:24:27 AM

Actually, it could happen at Tyndall AFB, FL. That's where they have both the remaining QF-4 drones and the F-22 schoolhouse.
Not saying it's likely, but in theory, it's quasi-possible.

If someone was a staff IP with the 20th FS at Holloman, instructing Luftwaffe pilots on the F-4F (German camouflage, USAF markings, no AIM-7 Sparrows), and made a lot of commutes to Tyndall, Edwards or wherever being part of the first cadre breaking in the F-22, it could happen...but as with others, I'd smell a great deal of Bravo Sierra.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

flyboy53

Quote from: Short Field on May 15, 2010, 10:44:45 PM
Some people are just too polite to call a bald-face liar out in front of other people. 

We have a local guy (non-CAP) who insists he is a F-15, F-4, F-22, F-16, KC-10 pilot who flew on the Thunderbirds Team, is a retired O6, never had to do UPT because he was such a great pilot and had a multi-engine commercial CFI license when he joined, former Wing Commander, etc, etc, etc.  Everyone in our social group knows he is lying because he can't keep his stories straight (and one of our group has assess to records and confirmed he is not retired USAF).  His name is also missing from any roster of Thunderbird team members.  He also keeps getting called back on active duty to help solve problems.  He has lots of details that would snow your average civilian but fall apart around career military.   He is at least smart enough to not claim any medals for valor as that would get him called out.

All of you please remember that if an individual claims to be a veteran, you have a responsibility to check their DD Form 214/NGB Form 22s because you need to verify if their discharge was honorable. They don't present it, they don't join. That's by CAP Reg. Got it!

Don't try to dispell a myth unless you are really familiar with the military services. As far as this guy's concerned. It is possible to have that many aircraft under your belt. If he was for real, he'd be a walking AEO. The key to the spoof, however, lies in the fact that he didn't complete UPT and the Thunderbirds have no public knowledge of him.

Remember, a pilot can't join the CAP and walk out on the ramp and take off in a CAP aircraft. Where do you think that rule originated from....Big Blue! Do you really think that the Air Force is going to let someone walk off the street with a pilot's license and just climb into the cockpit of even an old F-4?

I know a VERY RESPECTED local doctor who intentionally washed out of UPT at the T-38 point because of the assignment that was waiting for him. He wanted transports, they wanted him in fighters. He became a Titan missile launch officer instead and completed much of his medical school in a launch capsule. True story, he's not a fake.

As far as the idiot who claimed to earn Naval Flight Officer wings for piloting a helicopter back after a mission...come on! How? I was trained on A/D as a mission essential aircrew member and scanner on HH-3s and HC-130s. I didn't get any wings....just a bunch of flight gear and some cool experiences.

vmstan

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/18/nyregion/18blumenthal.html?hp=&pagewanted=all

QuoteAt a ceremony honoring veterans and senior citizens who sent presents to soldiers overseas, Attorney General Richard Blumenthal of Connecticut rose and spoke of an earlier time in his life.

"We have learned something important since the days that I served in Vietnam," Mr. Blumenthal said to the group gathered in Norwalk in March 2008. "And you exemplify it. Whatever we think about the war, whatever we call it — Afghanistan or Iraq — we owe our military men and women unconditional support."

There was one problem: Mr. Blumenthal, a Democrat now running for the United States Senate, never served in Vietnam. He obtained at least five military deferments from 1965 to 1970 and took repeated steps that enabled him to avoid going to war, according to records.

Ooops
MICHAEL M STANCLIFT, 1st Lt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer, NCR-KS-055, Heartland Squadron

Quote"I wish to compliment NHQ on this extremely well and clearly written regulation.
This publication once and for all should establish the uniform pattern to be followed
throughout Civil Air Patrol."

1949 Uniform and Insignia Committee comment on CAP Reg 35-4

flyboy53

Ooops, too. You're fogetting the part that said he was in the Marine Corps Reserve....Vietnam Era

Why can't people just be proud of serving when they did, even though this guy probably only scored a National Defense Service Medal and a Marine Corps Reserve Good Conduct Medal.

WheelsUp

What bothers me is that the VFW allowed Blumenthal to use a post to offer excuses - no apologies.

He's not even eligible for VFW membership, so why is that organization (by all appearances) defending him?

(Full disclosure: I am a VFW member, and I have e-mailed the national HQ in Kansas City to register my displeasure).
ES Training Officer/Mission Scanner