Main Menu

Favorite Weapons

Started by RogueLeader, July 10, 2007, 05:08:37 PM

brasda91

Quote from: SARPilotNY on July 24, 2007, 11:51:54 PM
I felt safe because the City of NY had a ban on handguns.

I don't know if I misunderstood your statement or if you left a word or two out.  But, you feel safe in a city that bans handguns?  You know that only affects the honest law abiding citizens, because the bad guys will continue to carry guns?  Therefore leaving you defenseless.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

teesquared

OK, this is mine. The biggest, baddest cannon on the block it ain't.
It's a S&W Model 39-2. I've had it for probably 30 years. I'm not LEO, or AD military.
I've taken a couple of defense classes with it, and have pumped a several thousand rounds thru it in practice. I reload my own ammo. I've put Pachmayr grips on it and had an orange insert put into the front sight. It's a single stack magazine as opposed to staggered stack, and the slimmer grip fits my smaller hand just right. I'm comfortable with the gun, and comfortable with what I can do with it. So for me, it's just right, and I enjoy shooting it.

Maj Terry Thompson
DP/DA   RMR-CO-147

Flying Pig

I didn't want to have to do this.  But here they are.  The 1911 is for off duty and the big gigantic stainless steel boat anchor is Dept issue.

afgeo4

I like the M-107 by Barrett (model 95). It's a .50 caliber special application scoped rifle.

Hits personnel at 1500 meters and materiel targets out to 2000 meters.

"My spotter positively identified a target at 1400 meters carrying an RPG on a water tower. I engaged the target. The top half of the torso fell forward out of the tower and the lower portion remained in the tower." 325th PIR Sniper

GEORGE LURYE

afgeo4

I also enjoy the Jericho 941 Baby Eagle for short distance work. It has a great grip for a medium-sized hand and the impeccable reputation of Israeli gunsmith quality.
GEORGE LURYE

Flying Pig

I like the baby eagles.  The only problem is that they are heavier than the S&W I have to carry.

Stonewall

About the .45.  I'm all about it, but I'm also all about other calibers and pistols.

Last night, an officer that I have trained with a few times was shot 5 times by a .45 and survived, to include a shot in the face.  He was able to return fire and kill the suspect.  All this started with a shoplifting at a local mall.  Officer is in ICU with his jaw wired, they say he is still critical but expected to survive and recover.

Two officers:  Rustin and Reston, hard not to confuse them.  You can imagine when the call went out about the shooting, the confusion..."is it Reston or Rustin..."  From the news article, I can't tell who got hit, but I understand it is Reston.

Online article

My point is while "size does matter", it is still about shot placement, wheter you're skilled and able to place shots in the right spot under duress, or just get lucky, you can shoot someone with a .45 in the face and not kill them.  Or you can shoot someone with a .22 and kill'em dead with a shot in the heart.
Serving since 1987.

Johnny Yuma

Quote from: Stonewall on January 27, 2008, 06:32:00 PM
About the .45.  I'm all about it, but I'm also all about other calibers and pistols.

Last night, an officer that I have trained with a few times was shot 5 times by a .45 and survived, to include a shot in the face.  He was able to return fire and kill the suspect.  All this started with a shoplifting at a local mall.  Officer is in ICU with his jaw wired, they say he is still critical but expected to survive and recover.

Two officers:  Rustin and Reston, hard not to confuse them.  You can imagine when the call went out about the shooting, the confusion..."is it Reston or Rustin..."  From the news article, I can't tell who got hit, but I understand it is Reston.

Online article

My point is while "size does matter", it is still about shot placement, wheter you're skilled and able to place shots in the right spot under duress, or just get lucky, you can shoot someone with a .45 in the face and not kill them.  Or you can shoot someone with a .22 and kill'em dead with a shot in the heart.

May the perp burn in hell and a speedy recovery to the officer.

A quote from another board:

"Shot placement is King, penetration is Queen. Everything else is Angels dancing on the head of a pin."

My daily carry duo:

BHP and 1 spare mag or the S&W36 with a speedloader in the pocket. Sometimes on special occasions, like trips after dark to Topeka, KC or Wichita I'll take both with the 36 acting as a New York reload.

Truck console has a S&W Sigma .40 with a spare clip, giving me 31 rounds of 180 grain Gold Dot goodness.

"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

♠SARKID♠

Rail Gun.

http://www.military.com/soldiertech/0,14632,Soldiertech_RailGuns,,00.html

I considered building a smaller one once and almost did.  Physics teacher said no way.  He knew me all too well and knew I'd destroy something expensive or important.  (I was very destructive physics student - most people wouldn't think you can get a marshmallow up to 250mph...proved them wrong.)  He stopped letting students build large scale weapons after someone built a 20ft tall trebuchet that could launch a bowling ball over 100 yards.

afgeo4

Quote from: brasda91 on January 27, 2008, 04:07:38 AM

I don't know if I misunderstood your statement or if you left a word or two out.  But, you feel safe in a city that bans handguns?  You know that only affects the honest law abiding citizens, because the bad guys will continue to carry guns?  Therefore leaving you defenseless.
There is not ban on weapons in NYC. That would go against the constitution. There are strict limits on ownership and carrying of weapons though.
GEORGE LURYE

Johnny Yuma

Quote from: afgeo4 on January 28, 2008, 03:28:16 AM

There is not ban on weapons in NYC. That would go against the constitution. There are strict limits on ownership and carrying of weapons though.

Yeah, the limits are so strict that only the rich AND politically connected can get them.
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

afgeo4

Quote from: Johnny Yuma on January 28, 2008, 03:59:39 AM
Quote from: afgeo4 on January 28, 2008, 03:28:16 AM

Yeah, the limits are so strict that only the rich AND politically connected can get them.
Actually... you usually have to be a business owner who can prove that there is real need to own a handgun. You can also own and carry one if you carry large amounts of money as part of your job/business (I believe over $50,000). There are other provisions out there as well. There are safety classes you must take and you must have an interview with the NYPD before being cleared as well.
GEORGE LURYE

Flying Pig

Or you take a state like Va., where I had a CCW, their crime rates fell when they passed their CCW laws.  If you were military, you automatically got one, and pretty much any other citizen without a criminal history.

Its sad to think that a citizen has to prove a need to own a gun before the government can decide if they agree.

mikeylikey

^ Agreed! 

I can't believe NYC is so weird like that.
What's up monkeys?

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on January 28, 2008, 02:25:20 AM
Rail Gun.

I considered building a smaller one once and almost did.  Physics teacher said no way.  He knew me all too well and knew I'd destroy something expensive or important.  (I was very destructive physics student - most people wouldn't think you can get a marshmallow up to 250mph...proved them wrong.)  He stopped letting students build large scale weapons after someone built a 20ft tall trebuchet that could launch a bowling ball over 100 yards.

Bowling Ball....100 yards....

I like you already......

Nathan

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on January 28, 2008, 08:33:26 AM
Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on January 28, 2008, 02:25:20 AM
Rail Gun.

Bowling Ball....100 yards....

I like you already......

That. Is. Cool.
Nathan Scalia

The post beneath this one is a lie.

Psicorp

My current firearm:

CZ 75 Compact in 9mm.    I can control a 9mm and a .45 better than I can a .40, but most .45s are a bit too big for my hand.

Having been an Air Force brat, I still have a fondness for the M-61 20 mm 6 barrel.  :D

Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

JohnKachenmeister

Be very cautious of the 9mm.  It is NOT a very powerful round.  You will need multiple hits on target to have any effect.  The 9mm is one notch above a bb gun, in my combat-seasoned opinion. 

The 9mm is more properly classed with the .32, .380, and .25 caliber underpowered weapons.  The king of underpowered, but underpowered nevertheless.
Another former CAP officer

Major Lord

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on January 28, 2008, 09:45:19 PM
Be very cautious of the 9mm.  It is NOT a very powerful round.  You will need multiple hits on target to have any effect.  The 9mm is one notch above a bb gun, in my combat-seasoned opinion. 

The 9mm is more properly classed with the .32, .380, and .25 caliber underpowered weapons.  The king of underpowered, but underpowered nevertheless.

I concur, it is a pocket pistol round. Good for the girl friend gun, and at its best in a submachine gun. Fortunately most Cappers are not coppers....and don't need to ventilate anything more dangerous than flat rectangular people with numbers on them...

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Johnny Yuma

Quote from: Major Lord on January 28, 2008, 09:59:48 PM
Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on January 28, 2008, 09:45:19 PM

I concur, it is a pocket pistol round. Good for the girl friend gun, and at its best in a submachine gun. Fortunately most Cappers are not coppers....and don't need to ventilate anything more dangerous than flat rectangular people with numbers on them...

Major Lord

Handgun Stopping Power is a myth. There are no one shot magic loads on the market.

With that said, there are a number of 9mm loads that, in term of stopping ability, equal that of the .45 ACP and come really close to that of the .357 Magnum. Bullet design in the last few years has brought the 9mm into an equal defensive playing field.

From handloads.com:

9mm:
http://www.handloads.com/misc/stoppingpower.asp?Caliber=15&Weight=All

9mm+P:
http://www.handloads.com/misc/stoppingpower.asp?Caliber=16&Weight=All

9mm+P+
http://www.handloads.com/misc/stoppingpower.asp?Caliber=17&Weight=All

Compare the 1 shot stopping percentages to .45ACP:
http://www.handloads.com/misc/stoppingpower.asp?Caliber=18&Weight=All

.45ACP +P:

and .357 MAgnum:

" Skip a bit, brother."