Main Menu

Favorite Weapons

Started by RogueLeader, July 10, 2007, 05:08:37 PM

RiverAux

Quote from: SarDragon on July 10, 2007, 11:01:03 PM
Close in, Bic pens are pointy enough to do some damage, but I think he alludes to: "The pen is mightier than the sword." (Edward George Bulwer Lytton, 1839)
Yep.  ;)

RogueLeader

"Whomever said that pens are mightier than swords, have never seen automatic weapons." attributed to Gen MacArthur

WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Stonewall

If you have an option to get a Sig, go for it.  I carried a Sig 229  in .357sig and loved it.  And if you do have the option, carry a Safariland drop holster.  And, while you're at it, get a tac light for your pistol.  If you're going to be inside or working at night, you need a tac light.  And yes, Safariland makes a holster for pistols with lights.

Head lamp, you'll need a headlamp if you have to put your medical skills to work while you're armed.  Remember, if you're carrying that MP5, it'll get in the way when performing medical aid, which means it may be unsecure.  Laying it to the side in an environment that may not be in your (team's) control at the time, could be a fatal mistake.

Which course are you going to?  Location?  Name of company?
Serving since 1987.

Stonewall

Oh, and you said you'd be shooting weekly...That's a lot of shooting.  A lot, but good.  No, not good.  Awesome.  I only get to shoot about twice monthly.
Serving since 1987.

SARPilotNY

On duty, Glock 22  off duty, a good pair of running shoes.
CAP member 30 + years SAR Pilot, GTM, Base staff

Flying Pig

I was a Tactical EMT as well as a Police SWAT entry member.  I was also a Tactical Medic Instructor for a private company.  Feel free to PM me.  Or maybe start another thread.  As a medic, there are a lot of issues that come up when you decide to carry a gun.  I agree with it, but it can get very sticky.

Stonewall

Serving since 1987.

flyerthom

TC

JohnKachenmeister

I urge anybody on SWAT teams or anybody else who is serious about defense, do NOT use the 9mm if you have a choice.  The 9mm is just above a bb gun in striking power.  We (Toledo PD) carried them for years, and had numerous incidents of multiple fatal hits on suspects, but the suspects were still standing and able to shoot at police.  I almost lost a good friend who took 4 .38 caliber hits even though her shots from her 9mm went right through the suspect's heart.  After that incident, TPD went to .40 caliber.

As a concealed weapon, I carry a .38 5-shot revolver.
Another former CAP officer

Major Carrales

Quote from: ColonelJack on July 10, 2007, 10:05:22 PM
Well ... since you asked ... here's my favorite weapon of choice.

Jack

I agree, another classic.  I have one somewhere.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

CAP428

Quote from: RiverAux on July 10, 2007, 11:04:39 PM
Quote from: SarDragon on July 10, 2007, 11:01:03 PM
Close in, Bic pens are pointy enough to do some damage, but I think he alludes to: "The pen is mightier than the sword." (Edward George Bulwer Lytton, 1839)
Yep.  ;)

Point proven by "Jason Bourne" in the Bourne Identity at his Paris apartment... :)

Sgt. Savage

Quote from: SARMedTech on July 10, 2007, 10:39:34 PM
Im going to be doing TacMed for a local security contractor that guards and polices Federal Section 8 housing. They need an EMT for search and arrest warrant execution (that is execution of the warrant, not the occupants...usually). Their entry team carries the H and K MP-5. That sort of gets in the way of my medical battle rattle. Im looking for a good all purpose side arm, actually chest arm since it will be carried on a chest rig. Any suggestions. They've also offered that I can carry a shotgun with bean bag rounds. I also carry OC, an ASP "zip straps" and then my medical pack. They are pretty much going to pay for what I think would work best, within reason. ANy suggestions? Maybe I need to make room for that H and K?

Listen,

Not that anyone here has given bad advice but...

Carry what you can shoot accurately, consistently, and comfortably. A .50 AE isn't going to provide any more stopping power than a .22 if you can't hit your target when the S^*T hits the fan. Try as many different sidearms as you can get the opportunity to shoot. Select the one that fits the afore mentioned criteria. Then practice, practice, practice.

I like .40S&W. I don't shoot it well in a Glock though I punish paper all day when it's in a Ruger. That having been said, a DEA agent discharged a round of .40 into his leg while giving a classroom demonstration in a school. He walked out of the room after calmly making sure everyone was OK. Shot placement is important. (See Video)http://www.fathers.ca/Terrorism/ogrish-dot-com-police_foot_shoot.wmv

SARMedTech

Quote from: Sgt. Savage on July 11, 2007, 12:38:52 PM
Quote from: SARMedTech on July 10, 2007, 10:39:34 PM
Im going to be doing TacMed for a local security contractor that guards and polices Federal Section 8 housing. They need an EMT for search and arrest warrant execution (that is execution of the warrant, not the occupants...usually). Their entry team carries the H and K MP-5. That sort of gets in the way of my medical battle rattle. Im looking for a good all purpose side arm, actually chest arm since it will be carried on a chest rig. Any suggestions. They've also offered that I can carry a shotgun with bean bag rounds. I also carry OC, an ASP "zip straps" and then my medical pack. They are pretty much going to pay for what I think would work best, within reason. ANy suggestions? Maybe I need to make room for that H and K?

Listen,

Not that anyone here has given bad advice but...

Carry what you can shoot accurately, consistently, and comfortably. A .50 AE isn't going to provide any more stopping power than a .22 if you can't hit your target when the S^*T hits the fan. Try as many different sidearms as you can get the opportunity to shoot. Select the one that fits the afore mentioned criteria. Then practice, practice, practice.

I like .40S&W. I don't shoot it well in a Glock though I punish paper all day when it's in a Ruger. That having been said, a DEA agent discharged a round of .40 into his leg while giving a classroom demonstration in a school. He walked out of the room after calmly making sure everyone was OK. Shot placement is important. (See Video)http://www.fathers.ca/Terrorism/ogrish-dot-com-police_foot_shoot.wmv

Makes me think of when my father was in the IL State Police Academy. The fire arms instructor was demonstrating that many semi-autos could be disable by pushing against the end of the barrel, thus disabling the slide. He pushed it against the palm of his hand, and shot himself right through the hand. He, however, was less gracious about his exit, and passed out. My father carried a revolver for most of his carrer  until they made him switch about 10 years before he retired as a detective. I got a rather dirty look when I suggested that I might carry a wheel gun as a TacMed operator. I guess that was a "no." I have test many so far (at the expense of countless rounds of ammunition paid for by my employer) and have narrowed it to either some model of Sig or Springfield. No one on the team carries a Glock. They are really sort of pushing for me to carry an MP-5 as well, but just dont know how I feel about having to secure a subgun in the even that I have to care for a team member who has gone down. Anyone with sub gun experience, particularly medics who may have used the MP-5 are invited to PM me with their suggestions or advice.
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

SARMedTech

Quote from: Major Carrales on July 10, 2007, 05:52:08 PM

Gotta go with a classic.  Sgt. Savage, you should get one...adds class to any collection, instantally!!!

I think this is the hands down winner for issue to CAP ground teams.
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

smj58501

Say hello to my little friend...

Nothing else compares after you have pickled a few thousand rounds through one of these.
Sean M. Johnson
Lt Col, CAP
Chief of Staff
ND Wing CAP

RogueLeader

Nah, I'll go with a BAR, or a M-60.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

RogueLeader

On second thought, the Vulcan looks much better.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

JC004

capchiro

Springfield, Rock Island, and Thompson Arms all have 1911A1's parkerized, military versions brand new that can be had for a little over $300.00 through the right sources.   
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

DKruse

H&K USP in .45ACP.  I love mine.  If I needed a second weapon, I'll tip my hat to the Springfield XD suggestion.  Those are very nice also.
Dalen Kruse, Capt., CAP
St. Croix Composite Squadron
NCR-MN-122

Ad hadem cum gloria. Faciamus operum.