Main Menu

Bye bye NCOs???

Started by MacGruff, March 12, 2014, 04:58:26 PM

MacGruff

I was at the squadron meeting yesterday when one of our most active and involved members announced to the Squadron Commander that he will be leaving CAP as of 1 Oct 2014. The whole room fell silent and you could hear that no one was breathing, nor were any pins dropping. When the initial shock wore off the Squadron Commander asked the question we all had: "Why?"

His answer was that he was told of the new NCO rank structure and program and refuses to wear [uncomplimentary comments edited out]. He later, very calmly, informed me and others that he was not going to wear those things, and that he thinks there are maybe 80 NCOs in CAP altogether and questioned why they wanted them all to leave? He wondered why CAP does not value his service to the organization. I asked him if he would consider switching to the officer ranks so that he would remain? and he said that as he understood things, he would still have to resign and reapply to become a SMWOG and was not going to do so.

If this happens, CAP will lose one of the people who make the organization really run. Who have great commitment to the program, it's missions, and it's cadets and we will all be much poorer for it.

THRAWN

If he is basing his decision on the yet unreleased NCO program, rumors regarding said program, and how the insignia looks, is he really worth keeping?
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Flying Pig

Well.... thats pretty sad.  He's leaving over a patch that he doesn't even have to wear?? My first thought is you have a  member who has been looking for a way to leave, and this offered him the chance to make it someone else's fault.

Private Investigator

Eclipse

His information is "flawed" at best.

"That Others May Zoom"

Panache

So, he reason for leaving was just because he didn't like the design for the NCO stripes?

It's not like they're maroon or something...

Storm Chaser

He's making a rash decision based on a program that hasn't been released and/or implemented yet. Why not just wait to see what happens before jumping the gun on this?

EMT-83

SunDog

Straw. Camel. The angst to endure until resolution?

Maybe his aggravation threhsold has been reached?  We've lost good people, not over any one thing (usually) - just the prepoderance.  Hey, different people, diffrent personalities, have varying tolerances for varying aggravators.   Some CAP nonsense screws me into the ceiling; other guys just shrug it off. 

He did give notice, which is cool. Most folks just disappear, or run screaming into the night. . .

MSG Mac

Since the new NCO program hasn't even been implemented, neither does anyone know when it will be, the SM in question is jumping to conclusions. He doesn't have to resign and then rejoin to become an Officer, just submit the paperwork to get him the 2LT or whatever grade he is eligible for.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

a2capt

Maybe the thing will drag on through the next National Commander change and get ditched afterwards.
As for using that as catapult to quit. Whatever lands your plane. Don't forget to close your flight plan.

Stonewall

Being an NCO is not just a rank you wear, it's a collection of special education, specific responsibilities, and a wealth of experience.  If he's leaving based on something as silly as rank, them wish him good luk an thank him for his contributions, but the program doesn't have a place for that attitude.

He can contribute the exact same things as a CAP officer as he can am NCO.  Whether a CAP 2d Lt or full bird colonel, he'd be the exact same person an get paid the exact same salary.
Serving since 1987.

lordmonar

Quote from: Stonewall on March 12, 2014, 09:45:18 PM
Being an NCO is not just a rank you wear, it's a collection of special education, specific responsibilities, and a wealth of experience.  If he's leaving based on something as silly as rank, them wish him good luk an thank him for his contributions, but the program doesn't have a place for that attitude.

He can contribute the exact same things as a CAP officer as he can am NCO.  Whether a CAP 2d Lt or full bird colonel, he'd be the exact same person an get paid the exact same salary.
What!!!!!  You guys are getting paid!  WTF is my check!
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

RiverAux

Anyone that makes any decisions based on a draft plan that is still subject to all sorts of changes is pretty dumb. 

Now, I've said before that uniform changes can signal to a member that the AF wants to distance itself from us so I have some sympathy for what you say he said about the NCO insignia.  After all, CAP officers don't have little "CAP" devices stuck on them (like the CG Aux has an "A" on theirs), so why should the NCO insignia be different? 

Stonewall

If tomorrow they told me they were doing away with officer ranks and everyone had to start over from scratch as airmen, I'd continue mission as if nothing changed.

I am who I am, regardless of military or CAP rank.
Serving since 1987.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: RiverAux on March 12, 2014, 09:52:00 PM
Anyone that makes any decisions based on a draft plan that is still subject to all sorts of changes is pretty dumb. 

Now, I've said before that uniform changes can signal to a member that the AF wants to distance itself from us so I have some sympathy for what you say he said about the NCO insignia.  After all, CAP officers don't have little "CAP" devices stuck on them (like the CG Aux has an "A" on theirs), so why should the NCO insignia be different?

Have you seen the grade slides? Field coats?

arajca

Besides, wasn't the NCO draft program developed and sign off by NCOs?

Storm Chaser

Quote from: RiverAux on March 12, 2014, 09:52:00 PM

Actually, CAP officers have CAP embroidered on their epaulets, as was mentioned already. Current CAP NCOs also have CAP insignias on their collar (metals cutouts on blues and embroidered on BDUs). I suspect the placement of CAP on the chevron insignia came about to remove the CAP collar insignias, which would put our NCO uniforms more in line with the Air Force's.

pierson777

What exactly offends him so much?  Is it the new NCO program itself?  We don't know anything about it yet.  Has he seen it already?  Is it the proposed NCO grade insignia ("CAP" letters & three bladed prop)?  If he quits over a grade insignia, that sends a poor message to the cadets.  Yet you say he is committed to the cadet program!!??

This was a move at garnering attention.  He probably got the response that he wanted.  If wants to stay in CAP, then he will stay in for all the right reasons.  I suspect he wants to quit for whatever reason, and was looking for an "out" and he chose this.  The other response that he may be looking for is to have everyone beg him stay.

I think announcing his intentions in this manner displayed poor etiquette and was disrespectful to the commander.  He should have discussed it privately beforehand.  I suspect he is probably in the minority with his thoughts on the new NCO program and grade insignia.  He wanted to convince everyone that there would be a mass exodus of CAP NCOs.  I doubt it.  Are there any CAP NCOs here on CAPtalk that can chime in with their thoughts?

SarDragon

It's called a flounce. It's very popular on FB groups.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret