Idea: 2 Years of College for all CAP Officers

Started by Guardrail, January 12, 2007, 05:56:17 AM

Flying Pig

Nall...

Thanks for clarifying.  Must have been before my time.  I mean this time.  ;D

LTC_Gadget

As many have said, the salute is a courtesy, or custom.  And I'd personally err on the side of conservatism.  Better to salute when one doesn't have to than not to have when one should have. 

Here, too, we have a large contingent of foreign officers.  I'll assure you that they do get saluted, and do render salutes.  If you've not been in a diverse uniform environment, you wouldn't believe the amount of 'bling' that some services' NCOs wear.  Periodically, there's been a graphic passed around with pictures of all the NATO country grades.  But, between distributions, and people PCSing in/out, when they're not sure, they salute, as do I.  If I get saluted, I return it.  If I see what I suspect is offerer grade, I salute it.  As someone said, it's calories off the Fit-for-Life, if nuthin' else. It's respect for the uniform, the grade, the commitment.  I've made mine, they've made theirs.. There's soooo much more important stuff to get bent over anyway...

From a CoastAuxie document:
"The hand salute is a long-established form of greeting and recognition exchanged between persons in the armed services. Saluting between Auxiliarists is not usually the custom. On occasions, when in uniform and covered, courtesy and custom indicate that a salute is in order; for example, when returning a salute rendered by a member of the Armed Forces. It is also customary to exchange greetings such as "good morning," "good afternoon," "good evening," etc. along with the salute. Obviously, if the other person is a senior officer the salute should be originated by you and the greeting should be followed by "sir or ma'am." The exchange of greetings should also be accompanied by a smile or a cheerful expression."

V/R,
John Boyd, LtCol, CAP
Mitchell and Earhart unnumbered, yada, yada
The older I get, the more I learn.  The more I learn, the more I find left yet to learn.

Flying Pig

When I was in the Marines, I spent a fair amount of time with the British Royal Marines when they would come to Lejuene, and also the Australians.

I was walking through the parking lot of an Australian Air Force Exchange and saluted an older looking gentleman with a bunch of ribbons and other sparkly stuff.  I saluted, he returned the salute and we continued on.  Come to find out later, he was a Senior NCO.  You can never go wrong with saluting.   It didn't bother me, and he saw I was attempting to show him respect in HIS country.  When in doubt, whip it out.

In another instance, I was in the field and we came across a squad of Royal Marines training.  I was the squad leader.  It was clear that I was the unit leader of my squad, so the Bristish Marine saluted me and called me "Sir" obviously in an attempt to error on the side of caution.  I introduced myself as Sergeant Steht, and he was a Corporal.  Again, we laughed about it, swaped MRE's and moved on.

In Korea, we were told if your not sure....salute, because the ROK Marine officers got P O'd if you didnt salute them.

As far as CAP officers being saluted by military enlisted.  In my case, as with other Seniors, I have military ribbons as well.  That throws off some people when they see me in uniform, especially now that we don't wear wing patches.  At any rate.... just return the salute and move on. 

Edited because I can't spell today.....

DNall

Quote from: Flying Pig on May 14, 2007, 07:50:35 PM
Nall...

Thanks for clarifying.  Must have been before my time.  I mean this time.  ;D
Sure, I thought that original discussion was quite good in fact. A bit of cart well out in front of the horse, but still quite enlightening.

stillamarine

Quote from: Flying Pig on May 14, 2007, 08:36:35 PMIn Korea, we were told if your not sure....salute, because the ROK Marine officers got P O'd if you didnt salute them.

I remember when I was in Korea at MEC-Pohang, the ROK Marines would always salute us when we were driving through their base to get to the Port facility. I was a young Marine, maybe in the fleet for like 2 months, talk about akward.

WIWAC, many moons ago, I was in Okinawa with the squadron there.  We were posted outside of the BX passing out those lil poppies.  A Navy Senior Chief walked up and I couldn't tell if he was an officer or not. So I saluted. The Senior Chief, properly returned my salute and then stopped to explain to me the how to tell the difference between an Officer and a Chief in Khakis.

Fixed quote - MIKE
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

Flying Pig

Pohang!!!  YEEES!  Was that little skinny guy who called himself "Coooooool Breeze" still running that little PX?