Main Menu

Hurricane Gustav

Started by LtCol White, August 30, 2008, 01:43:52 AM

RiverAux

Given current projections it seems unlikely that NW Florida is going to be hit so hard that local units would be unable to function.  Since the worst appears to be going to hit in LA/TX, putting units in remote parts of Florida on alert probably wouldn't really be necessary since units from other Wings will be much closer to the affected areas.  That being said, I agree that some communication from the Wing to the general membership via web site or email lists would be appropriate.

DC

I'm in FLWG Group II and I haven't heard squat about Gustav or Hanna...

RiverAux

Are you a recon qualified person that would be notified as indicated in the press release?  If so, then your unit chain of command is obviously broken. 

Eclipse

Quote from: DC on August 31, 2008, 11:46:56 PM
I'm in FLWG Group II and I haven't heard squat about Gustav or Hanna...

Ones a hurricane, ones a tropical depression...

"That Others May Zoom"

DC

Quote from: RiverAux on August 31, 2008, 11:48:42 PM
Are you a recon qualified person that would be notified as indicated in the press release?  If so, then your unit chain of command is obviously broken. 
No I'm not RECON qualified, but usually when there is an alert info is placed on the email lists..

My squadron commander mentioned something last week, but it was more of a 'there is a possiblity this will happen' rather than a 'higher up said to get your gear ready' type thing...

Quote from: Eclipse on September 01, 2008, 12:04:27 AM
Ones a hurricane, ones a tropical depression...
Soon to reverse.. Gustav will make landfall, and Hanna is expected to strenthen into a hurricane this week. And lets not forget 97L out in the mid Atlantic. On the bright side, 96L, the other developing storm seems to have dissapated, or at least NOAA doesn't see the need to report on it...

JoeTomasone

Just got a notice from the SER/DC requesting all stations to monitor HF and local VHF nets beginning tomorrow.

fyrfitrmedic

Lt. General Honore weighs in on preparedness:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/weather/09/01/honore.gustav/index.html

Why the hell don't people borrow some of this good clue?
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

Eclipse

I love that guy, but sadly the national sentiment is all about symbolism and less about actual sweat-equity service.

"Give me a magnetic ribbon sticker that says 'SAVE NOLA!', but don't bother me with actually helping."   :'(

"That Others May Zoom"

maverik

As of 11:00 (GTM -6) Hurricane Gustav is about to make landfall and is currently a Category 2 hurricane,winds are at 110 MPH, the storm is moving WNW at 15 MPH,Latitude:29.2 N - Longitude:90.8 W. Good luck and god bless.
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT
"Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking." Ferdinand Foch at the Battle of the Marne

Laplace

Baton Rouge checking in:  Steady rain all day and a lot of foliage and tree limbs down.  Power is out in many areas, but after a few dips, we still have power near the LSU area.  Eye wall will pass to our west in a few hours and we are being warned to get ready.  Neighbors' tree limb just took out part of my fence.  It needed to be replaced anyway  ;).   

I'll keep posting if possible.  Good Luck all.

Eclipse

I'm listening to LA talkradio (WWL) (while I work on getting our COV mission ready), and they had several Tornado warnings popping up all over the place.

"That Others May Zoom"

SSgt Rudin

oh, this should make for a fun next two weeks...
SSgt Jordan Rudin, CAP

DC

Indeed. Hurricane Hanna, what is bound to eventually be Hurricane Ike, with three possible systems out there...

Makes you start feeling like you have a big target on your back...

I grateful Gustav wasn't any worse than it was. For the next week, good luck to everyone in the Bahamas, the NE Florida Coast, Georgia and South Carolina..

Major Carrales

Every Hurricane from now on is going to have be treated in the same fashion as Gustav was.  Large scale evacuations and more than ample resources will need to be the order of the day.  Katrina gave us a lot to think about.

The true issues in the future will be apathy and complacence.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

BillB

National Hurricane Center has Ike following the exact path as Hannah +/- 200 miles. Their 50 MPH wind cones match up and Ike's merges with Hannahs (5 days apart)
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Fifinella

Barksdale Composite Squadron spent today at one of the shelters in Shreveport serving meals, passing out supplies, talking to folks, etc.  Going back tomorrow, weather permitting - Gustav is still working his way north.  The cadets really were excited to get the chance to help.
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

JoeTomasone

Quote from: Fifinella on September 02, 2008, 02:42:41 AM
Barksdale Composite Squadron spent today at one of the shelters in Shreveport serving meals, passing out supplies, talking to folks, etc.  Going back tomorrow, weather permitting - Gustav is still working his way north.  The cadets really were excited to get the chance to help.

If you (or anyone else involved in DR work) wouldn't mind writing up a little something on the experience (or even better, getting one of your senior cadets to do so), I think it would certainly help a few of our Squadrons over here to realize why they should get motivated to pass GES and get some ES quals.   Many of them don't yet get it.   May I thusly impose?   8)

DNall

HOUSTON - Guard unit has had ppl in all wknd getting our trucks fixed (half of them wouldn't make it off the base before they broke down), so that's good regardless. I'm top of the list for the go team though & nothing. I'm sure some units are moving around, but we're not. Didn't get anything this far west.

CAP is set to start running assessment flights for the state in the morning, but I don't think there's anything to take pictures of on this side of the sabine.

MikeD

Quote from: JoeTomasone on September 02, 2008, 03:00:31 AM

If you (or anyone else involved in DR work) wouldn't mind writing up a little something on the experience (or even better, getting one of your senior cadets to do so), I think it would certainly help a few of our Squadrons over here to realize why they should get motivated to pass GES and get some ES quals.   Many of them don't yet get it.   May I thusly impose?   8)

Please do!  I have the same issue with the cadets in my squadron. 

Back to the situation as a whole, who wants to bet that when Hannah, Ike or the next one hits, we'll have flooding in IA and an earthquake out in CA too?  Seems to be the way our luck is tending...

SSgt Rudin

Quote from: JoeTomasone on September 02, 2008, 03:00:31 AM

WIWAC we worked at the shelters every time they opened up. When I took over as ES officer at my squadron I went to the Red Cross and attempted to get them to come out and hold a shelter operations course for the cadets, their parents and the seniors so we could start doing it again. They told me that they were told when they contacted our HQ (they didn't remember if it was wing or NHQ) a couple years ago they were told that they could not use us with out a MOU and pre-approval each time they opened a shelter. I understood this, but what I could not understand is why they had so much trouble getting this accomplished, they said ultimately it did not happen because of insurance and funding issues, however the ARC covers all the cost/funding and we would be covered on their insurance. Any one have any insight on this?

edit- I should specify we got their prior to the shelter opening to help set up and help get people in the shelter, get them registered, and make sure they set up where the ARC told them to. We also would roam the halls and "enforce" lights out. Lastly we would help with meals. So we were there the entire time the shelter was open, not just go in help out for the day and leave at night.
SSgt Jordan Rudin, CAP