Main Menu

Unit Flag

Started by IceNine, August 25, 2008, 11:44:15 PM

IceNine

I am looking into getting a group flag, and I am unclear of a few things.

Quote from:  CAPR 900-24) Group and Squadron Flags. Made of ultramarine blue rayon banner cloth or heavyweight nylon measuring 3 feet hoist by 4 feet fly or 3 feet hoist by 5feet, 8 3/8 inches fly and is trimmed on three sides with a 2 1/2 inch wide blue silk fringe. Cord and tassels of any color will not be used. In the center is the basic CAP insignia; above the insignia is a white scroll with the group or squadron designation in red letters, and below it are the words "Civil Air Patrol" in red letters on a white scroll (see Figure 11). All lettering will read from left to right. These flags will be displayed and carried with the US flag of equal or larger size. Units will use these flags on all ceremonial occasions. NOTE: Group or squadron designation should include full name and type of unit, i.e., "Maxwell Air Force Base Composite Squadron." However, unit names too long for the space allotted maybe shortened, i.e., "Maxwell AFB Comp Sq." Additionally, if abbreviations are required to shorten the name, only the following standard abbreviations for type of unit will be used: Comp Sq, Cdt Sq, Sr Sq, Gp.

My unit is a group.  So would it be Group # Headquarters or just Group #

Quote from:  CAPR 900-2
7) Flagstaffs.
NOTE: Traditionally, Air Force spearheads are of chrome or silvertone with matching staff connectors and ferrules. It is recommended that when flagstaffs are a new or replacement purchase, Air Force type be obtained.

2 things here, it specifically states the spearhead should be crome/silver tone, logic says that the staff should be too, correct?

And, I am having a bit of an issue finding a reasonably priced silver staff base.  Is a gold base permitted with a silver staff?

"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

MIKE

Mike Johnston

RiverAux

I believe that you used to be able to get them through the CAP Bookstore.  Not sure if Vanguard has picked that up or not.

IceNine

You can get the flag there but you cannot get the poles

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

MIKE

Mike Johnston

ctrossen

Quote from: IceNine on August 25, 2008, 11:44:15 PM

And, I am having a bit of an issue finding a reasonably priced silver staff base.  Is a gold base permitted with a silver staff?

Do a little searching here and you'll find my unit's horror story about ordering a squadron flag from Vanguard.

They do have the right pieces, but it may take some specific work on your part to ensure you get the correct pieces.

Vanguard uses Annin Flag to make the CAP flags and get the flagpoles, etc. Check out their online catalog:

http://www.annin.com/

and find the pieces you want. Then make sure you talk to someone so that they get the correct items for you.

Regards,

Chris Trossen, Lt Col, CAP
Agency Liaison
Wisconsin Wing

IceNine

While your entire experience sucked, I will only be ordering the flag itself from vanguard, unless i can get annin to send it direct.

I will be getting my staff and spears from Glendale.

Has anyone tried this since '06?

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

lordmonar

Quote from: IceNine on August 25, 2008, 11:44:15 PM

Quote from:  CAPR 900-2
7) Flagstaffs.
NOTE: Traditionally, Air Force spearheads are of chrome or silvertone with matching staff connectors and ferrules. It is recommended that when flagstaffs are a new or replacement purchase, Air Force type be obtained.

2 things here, it specifically states the spearhead should be crome/silver tone, logic says that the staff should be too, correct?

I think that they left out....that traditionally the flag staff is made of wood.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP