When do you become a big deal in the military?

Started by themainmane, April 06, 2016, 08:40:13 PM

themainmane

So, in the actual military, at what rank would those of you who have served say that someone is a "big deal"? I know in CAP, it's Colonel. But on all sides, enlisted, warrant officer, and officer, when has someone truly gone above and beyond the average lifer in terms of rank? When does it go from "Oh, it's just a Lieutenant/Sergeant/Petty Officer" to "Holy crap, it's a -------"
The master of all that isn't.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

vesryn

Quote from: Eclipse on April 06, 2016, 09:12:29 PM
When you get one of these...

'Nuff said.

All humor aside, for officers I'd say O6.
Enlisted, E8
WO, probably W5.

Eaker #3363
NYWG Encampment Cadet Commander 2018
NYWG Encampment '13, '14, '15, '18, '19

Storm Chaser

When you get your own parking space everywhere you go on base:

• O-6 for officers
  • E-9 for enlisted

goblin

abdsp51

When you have done something of enough significance that people you don't know know you. It's not a badge, a dec or even what you wear. 

baronet68

When you're a Medic... And somebody's in need of your skills.
Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager

Storm Chaser

Quote from: themainmane on April 06, 2016, 08:40:13 PM
So, in the actual military, at what rank would those of you who have served say that someone is a "big deal"? I know in CAP, it's Colonel.

One thing to consider is that, while a Col  (O-6) is considered a DV, there are at least six Cols in an Air Force wing:

• Wing Commander (unless the wing is large)
  • Vice Commander
  • Operations Group Commander
  • Maintenance Group Commander
  • Mission Support Group Commander
  • Medical Group Commander

Some bases have more than six, especially if they host other wings, groups, or agencies.

lordmonar

Like Storm said.  O-6 and E-9 are big deals.  Everything below that is relative.   E-3s are more concerned what their SSgt or TSgt have to say then some random Lt Col or SMSgt.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

themainmane

Quote from: lordmonar on April 06, 2016, 11:28:49 PM
Like Storm said.  O-6 and E-9 are big deals.  Everything below that is relative.   E-3s are more concerned what their SSgt or TSgt have to say then some random Lt Col or SMSgt.

No I get that. I'm in the USMC reserves, and the only thing I have to worry about is my SL. I'm saying from a lifer standpoint. When are other career guys like "[darn]. He's doing well." For me (obviously not even somewhat close to a lifer yet) I'm impressed by an E8, a CWO4, and an O6. I remember one of my friends from boot camp, an admin type, saying that the majority of guys in the Corps retire as E7s, CWO3s, and Lieutenant Colonels. After that point, promotions are incredibly tight and hard to attain in a 20-30 year career.

lordmonar

If you retire below E-7 or O-5 then something in your career when wrong.  Those two ranks are almost guaranteed if you are competent and keep your nose clean.   

So O-6 and above and E-8s are in the area of going above and beyond the pack.

goblin

Quote from: lordmonar on April 06, 2016, 11:55:04 PM
If you retire below E-7 or O-5 then something in your career when wrong.  Those two ranks are almost guaranteed if you are competent NDANG keep your nose clean.   

I know plenty O-4 types that chose to stay in the jet rather than play the career game and retired that way.

themainmane

Quote from: goblin on April 07, 2016, 12:03:08 AM
If you retire below E-7 or O-5 then something in your career when wrong.  Those two ranks are almost guaranteed if you are competent NDANG keep your nose clean.   

I know plenty O-4 types that chose to stay in the jet rather than play the career game and retired that way.

I mean, I guess you could make the argument that something "went wrong" with their career, in the sense that they purposely didn't do what was required of them to promote. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

SarDragon

In the Navy, it's getting a ship command, or making Chief (E-7).
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

abdsp51

If you retire below E-7 or O-5 then something in your career when wrong.  Those two ranks are almost guaranteed if you are competent and keep your nose clean.   

E7 isn't a guarentee anymore especially with the new EPR system and the board.

lordmonar

themainmane

Quote from: SarDragon on April 07, 2016, 12:42:49 AM

I've always been amazed by the aura that follows a Navy Chief. They're not even enlisted men anymore in Navy culture. They get their own mess and wear modified officer's uniforms. I always thought that if I ever decided to be a career enlisted man, it would be in the Navy, because being a Chief just seems like an incredible accomplishment even compared to other service's SNCO programs.

PHall

This applies pretty much to Active Duty retirement. Rules are way different in the Guard/Reserve.

SarDragon

Quote from: themainmane on April 07, 2016, 12:59:17 AM

I've always been amazed by the aura that follows a Navy Chief. They're not even enlisted men anymore in Navy culture. They get their own mess and wear modified officer's uniforms. I always thought that if I ever decided to be a career enlisted man, it would be in the Navy, because being a Chief just seems like an incredible accomplishment even compared to other service's SNCO programs.

Oh, they are most assuredly enlisted folks, being the senior NCO corps of the Navy. I was sired by a Chief and am married to another. My experience with Chiefs in general is lifelong.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

themainmane

Quote from: SarDragon on April 07, 2016, 04:33:50 AM
Quote from: themainmane on April 07, 2016, 12:59:17 AM

Oh, they are most assuredly enlisted folks, being the senior NCO corps of the Navy. I was sired by a Chief and am married to another. My experience with Chiefs in general is lifelong.

No, I understand this. I just meant that the difference in how a CPO is treated as opposed to a PO1 is so much wider than the difference in treatment between a GySgt and a SSgt, even though it's a jump between the same pay grades.