CAP Special Operations Squadrons

Started by Eagle400, April 24, 2007, 03:36:45 AM

Eagle400

I've found something facinating: The 122nd Special Operations Squadron.  http://122sos.freeservers.com/index.html

Does anyone know much about the CAP Special Operations Squadrons, and what they're all about?  This is really cool. 

They aren't advertised on the National HQ site (though that's probably a good thing).   8)

floridacyclist

They tend to be pretty unreachable as they don't officially exist. On the other hand, if you make a good enough name for yourself and drop enough mentions of your interest in them, I am sure one of their reps will be contacting you for an entrance interview.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

afgeo4

Seems to be a spoof site since such squadrons don't and can't exist. Also, they talk about DEA missions with specifics and that's a big no-no. These missions are classified. Oh yeah, they're also failing to use people's last names as if these people were actually deployed on sensitive missions (including the PAO!)

I would actually forward this site to NHQ legal for termination as it gives the wrong impression of CAP.
GEORGE LURYE

Smokey

It's a spoof site.......it's been seen here and othe spots before.
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

Eagle400

That's too bad... for a moment, I thought it was actually something real.  Must be my gullability kicking in. 

JC004

Quote from: 12211985 on April 24, 2007, 04:23:25 AM
That's too bad... for a moment, I thought it was actually something real.  Must be my gullability kicking in. 

Gullible, eh?  I can help!  PM me, and I'll get you my address.  You can send me a check for my services and we'll get that fixed right up!

SarDragon

Did you know that the word gullible isn't in the dictionary?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Flying Pig

Ahhhhh yes....CAP Special Operations.

I posted this over at CadetStuff when I first got back into CAP....here is what I think about CAP Spec Ops and the desire to have "elite" teams.

Although I do realize this Unit that was asked about doesn't exist.....I figured, why not.   It is pretty funny though.....I like the black and white photo of the guys inspecting the M-60 Machinegun!

I hope Im not digging up an old thread....but this is an age old quest of the CAP member.....the elite unit. It was often dreamed and talked about when I was a cadet.

The reality is....CAP does not have the time, man power, resources ($$$$) or the need to have any "elite" units. In 99% of the cases,....CAP is search and FIND, NOT Search and Rescue. The Rescue aspect is where rubber meets the road. Now your getting into Medevac, trauma, casualty management, etc.

As far as the cadet program.....Let me be blunt..nobody is going to contract with High School students, no matter the level of training, for high angle technical rescue, swift water, winter ops....or an "elite" search. Nor do cadets need to be put in life and death situations. Things happen on Rescue missions that can change someones life forever. CAP is geared to give you the cadet, a foundation to move on and be successful in life, whatever your path.
As far as the Senior program, Those of us who arent retired, have families and full time jobs.
I am involved in SAR with my Depts Air Unit. The level of training is dangerous and on going. The missions themselves are very physically and mentally exhausting. The equipment / training costs alone would probably bankrupt CAP. My units budget is nearly $800k per year. Not to mention the costs of a prolonged operation.

CAP has come along way with CD and ES with Homeland Security. Should we strive to get better....YES.....but we need to be realistic. Sould we offer advanced training? Yes, we should.
But, CAP is not designed, nor does it have the capacity to stand up "elite" teams.....the level of training and experience necessary to gain the confidence in those missions are high. And with the cadet program.....honestly....cadets arent around long enough to gain the experience or invest the training $$'s in. And by the the time your old enough, physically and mentally, your probably moving on.

Eagle400

Quote from: SarDragon on April 24, 2007, 07:23:23 AM
Did you know that the word gullible isn't in the dictionary?

Oh, you almost got me there friend.   

But for the most part, I am pretty gullible.

Sgt. Savage

That was incredible!! I applaud the genius that put that together. Really, the links got to other " SOS" sites and everything. It took me 10 minutes to stop laughing. I can't believe someone actually put time into this farce. Hats off to them.

mikeylikey

Since I am special I wonder if they will let me join?
What's up monkeys?

SarDragon

If you can get one of the email links to work, go for it. I tried to "join" a few months back, and all the email links bounced, including the ones on the sites for the other two units.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Smokey

No you can't join, but you do have your own olympics >:D ;D
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

Tubacap

Quote from: Smokey on April 25, 2007, 02:01:35 AM

No you can't join, but you do have your own olympics >:D ;D

Going tomorrow as a matter of fact to play the Star Spangled Banner for the beginning ;D
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

A.Member

Quote from: afgeo4 on April 24, 2007, 04:04:22 AM
Seems to be a spoof site since such squadrons don't and can't exist. Also, they talk about DEA missions with specifics and that's a big no-no. These missions are classified. Oh yeah, they're also failing to use people's last names as if these people were actually deployed on sensitive missions (including the PAO!)

I would actually forward this site to NHQ legal for termination as it gives the wrong impression of CAP.
I would've thought that the photo of the M-60 sticking out the window of the aircraft might have been enough of a giveway too.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Hawk200

NIN

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Major Lord

A few months ago, a mission closing traffic announcment came over the CA Wing "all" list, and said that a "Special Operatons" team had closed out an ELT mission on a military base. I e-mailed the IC with " WTF? Over? " request, and he E-mailed back that CAP S.O. teams have "Special Access" to military bases. Apparently, CAWG is not in on the joke. I have heard of chairborn ranger squadrons, and squadrons with "special" members (you know, the short bus kind...) but have never seen evidence of a real CAP ELT hunter/killer team.....

Capt. Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

DNall

Okay seriously... we do some sensitive work with the state & 1AF on HLS missions, but that's basically within the CD qual'd community. The people refered to by this patch are at the state EOC liaising such operations.

We don't have any special access to mil base teams, which I guess would be me with my CAC now, but that's not a real good way to roll on a base with a job to do. You actually want to alert the base operations & security people as you come on, so special access isn't needed.

JC004

Quote from: CaptLord on April 29, 2007, 02:46:35 PM
A few months ago, a mission closing traffic announcment came over the CA Wing "all" list, and said that a "Special Operatons" team had closed out an ELT mission on a military base. I e-mailed the IC with " WTF? Over? " request, and he E-mailed back that CAP S.O. teams have "Special Access" to military bases. Apparently, CAWG is not in on the joke. I have heard of chairborn ranger squadrons, and squadrons with "special" members (you know, the short bus kind...) but have never seen evidence of a real CAP ELT hunter/killer team.....

Capt. Lord

WIWAC, my UDFT that I created was pretty special ops (or at least special).  There were few places we wouldn't go and few crazy things we wouldn't do to find an offending little box.  As a result, I have over 20 finds from just over 7 years, but we were pretty nuts.   :D  Let's see -- oil rigs, roof of the Marriott at PHL (twice), and "special" access to all kinds of places, mostly just 'cuz we asked nicely and/or had AFRCC talk to someone.  Oh then there was the mission when one of the seniors actually set off an ELT...

We need more special ops UDF teams...you know, with technical gear and stuff.  Airport fence?  NO PROBLEM!   >:D