Main Menu

Hello and a question...

Started by Fortunateson, May 28, 2014, 01:40:35 AM

Shuman 14

Quote from: Fortunateson on May 28, 2014, 01:49:25 PM
I appreciate all the responses, I guess it kind of struck a nerve with me as I would be in that category (for now anyway), and I wasn't sure I wanted to associate myself with an organization that this was a common occurrence in.  For the record, I am no stranger to CAP, although it was 25 years ago.  To give you some background, I completed 4.5 years of AFJROTC in high school, Served 4 years in the Navy as an E-4, and have worked for state and local governments most of my adult life.  I am also a current member of my city's CERT program.  So I don't want folks to think I'm coming in here stirring up trouble.  I'm pretty much a straight shooter and call it like I see it...

That won't mean a thing to some people here. You'll just be seen as an outsider telling CAP how "broke" it is and that you have no right to tell CAP how to fix it because you haven't served in CAP for X+ years.

Trust me I know.  ;)
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

Fortunateson

Quote from: shuman14 on May 29, 2014, 08:48:03 PM
Quote from: Fortunateson on May 28, 2014, 01:49:25 PM
I appreciate all the responses, I guess it kind of struck a nerve with me as I would be in that category (for now anyway), and I wasn't sure I wanted to associate myself with an organization that this was a common occurrence in.  For the record, I am no stranger to CAP, although it was 25 years ago.  To give you some background, I completed 4.5 years of AFJROTC in high school, Served 4 years in the Navy as an E-4, and have worked for state and local governments most of my adult life.  I am also a current member of my city's CERT program.  So I don't want folks to think I'm coming in here stirring up trouble.  I'm pretty much a straight shooter and call it like I see it...

That won't mean a thing to some people here. You'll just be seen as an outsider telling CAP how "broke" it is and that you have no right to tell CAP how to fix it because you haven't served in CAP for X+ years.

Trust me I know.  ;)

Well I guess that could be true, just thought it was a little odd for people to be referred to that way, especially when outsiders who can read this forum and may be considering joining, see a term used and take offense to it...I can see that it is divided on the opinion of its use, so I guess my question has been answered... Thanks for the responses

Майор Хаткевич

Again, what's a better term?

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: usafaux2004 on May 30, 2014, 04:02:42 AM

"Those out of height, weight and grooming standards."
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Panache

Fortunateson

You know I don't know, maybe something that could be said to their face, in person...

Alaric

Quote from: Fortunateson on May 30, 2014, 11:16:15 AM

You know I don't know, maybe something that could be said to their face, in person...

Then I'd go with Cyborg "Those out of height, weight and grooming requirements"

Cliff_Chambliss

[[/quote]

[/quote]

I would say "Those out of height, weight and/or grooming standards."
11th Armored Cavalry Regiment
2d Armored Cavalry Regiment
3d Infantry Division
504th BattleField Surveillance Brigade

ARMY:  Because even the Marines need heros.    
CAVALRY:  If it were easy it would be called infantry.

Alaric

Quote from: Cliff_Chambliss on May 30, 2014, 01:16:08 PM
[

[/quote]

I would say "Those out of height, weight and/or grooming standards."
[/quote]

agreed

Eclipse

I suppose "valued members" is out of the question?

"That Others May Zoom"

Panache

Quote from: Eclipse on May 30, 2014, 01:45:20 PM

"In a diet trainee status on your 101 card."

Майор Хаткевич

That would imply AF uniform wearers are not. As to saying it to their face...again, this term only comes up here.

Alaric

We are all valued members Eclipse, some of us, like myself are "out of height, weight, and/or grooming requirements"

jeders

Quote from: Alaric on May 30, 2014, 02:03:12 PM

We are all valued members Eclipse, some of us, like myself are "out of height, weight, and/or grooming requirements"

I think that's his point.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

BHartman007

My weight is fine, but my height is out of regulation.

Wing Assistant Director of Administration
Squadron Deputy Commander for Cadets

Garibaldi

Quote from: BHartman007 on June 11, 2014, 06:18:47 PM
My weight is fine, but my height is out of regulation.

Not overweight, but under-tall.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Panzerbjorn

As one of the "fat and fuzzies" I honestly don't worry about it.  Like many others have said, I don't see that term tossed around outside of this forum.  Woodland camoflauge isn't important to me enough to try and defy the regs when blue BDUs work just fine trumping around in the woods.  Polo shirts and slacks are a whole lot more comfortable to fly in than a Nomex flight suit.  Finally, I still have the respect of my cadets and my peers because of my dedication to the program and contributions.

If someone is going to scorn me because I'm heavier than allowed to wear Woodland camoflauge or dress blues, my only response to them is perhaps they should be spending more time helping cadets succeed and getting their ES qualifications than worrying about how many pull-ups I can do.

Where you'll see more "at odds" in CAP is air ops vs ground ops.  If you read through enough of CAPTalk, you'll see those distinct mind sets clearly.  (Sorry to generalize and stereotype, but it's true).  There are plenty of members here and in CAP that have both the air and ground perspectives, but they are in the minority in the organization.

As also said before, don't let CAPTalk determine for you whether you join CAP.  Join because you love aviation, want to work with cadets, and have something to contribute to the organization.

As far as a term to replace "fat and fuzzies"...How about "Corporate Types"?  I like that...fits my attitude and pilot mindset.

Major
Command Pilot
Ground Branch Director
Eagle Scout

AirAux

I doubt if anyone called General Curtis LeMay Fat, so how about calling them SAC Warriors?? 

Private Investigator

Quote from: Panzerbjorn on June 11, 2014, 08:01:03 PM
As far as a term to replace "fat and fuzzies"...How about "Corporate Types"?  I like that...fits my attitude and pilot mindset.

I like that   :clap:

PHall

Quote from: AirAux on June 11, 2014, 08:21:37 PM
I doubt if anyone called General Curtis LeMay Fat, so how about calling them SAC Warriors??

Nobody dared tell the General that he was fat. :o  He was the Air Force Chief of Staff after he was CINCSAC.
They didn't seem to have a problem with his weight in the Pentagon either!