Main Menu

Hello and a question...

Started by Fortunateson, May 28, 2014, 01:40:35 AM

Fortunateson

Hello everyone,

My name is Robert and I'm considering volunteering in CAP as a Senior Member.  I have been lurking around the boards for a few weeks, getting the lay of the land.  I have a question and I apologize if it's been asked before or perhaps touches on a nerve.

Why are there so many references to "Fat and Fuzzies"  throughout the forums?  I know what it represents, but to me, sounds a little disrespectful. 

Please correct me if I'm wrong..

Thanks

PHall

Fortunateson

Quote from: PHall on May 28, 2014, 01:42:15 AM
You're not wrong. :-[

Considering how much it is used, that's sad then PHall...

Майор Хаткевич

Typically its used by the fat and fuzzies. Its our black humor. Never heard it at a meeting.

PHall

Quote from: usafaux2004 on May 28, 2014, 01:46:59 AM
Typically its used by the fat and fuzzies. Its our black humor. Never heard it at a meeting.

About the only place I've seen the term used is on the Internet.

Fortunateson

I understand what you saying USAfaux2004, but one post in particular, in the "Uniform" thread used it numerous times, and it seemed they were talking about others, not themselves...

I understand that not everyone is in ideal shape and people have health issues and all that...  I just wonder if this situation makes their service any less valuable or desirable?

lordmonar

When I say it it is not intended to be disrespectful just an easy tag to identify those who cannon wear USAF uniforms due to weight or grooming issues
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Fortunateson

Quote from: lordmonar on May 28, 2014, 02:05:42 AM
When I say it it is not intended to be disrespectful just an easy tag to identify those who cannon wear USAF uniforms due to weight or grooming issues

I understand Lordmonar, Like I said, I'm new around here, just how it appeared to me...

Pulsar

:-\
...Captalk is NOT the place to be introduced to CAP...
C/LtCol Neutron Star
PAWG ENC 2013/ AMMA 2014/ NER W RCLS 2014-5 [Salutatorian] / NER Powered Flight Academy 2015

"A fiery strength inspires their lives, An essence that from heaven
derives,..." - Vergil, The Aeneid

(C) Copyright 2013: Readers who choose to hardcopy my comments are entitled to specific rights, namely: you may print them off and read them repeatedly until you have memorized them and then rattle them off as if you had thought them up yourself; However if asked, you must say they were signaled to you from a neutron star.

Fortunateson

Quote from: Pulsar on May 28, 2014, 02:46:26 AM
:-\
...Captalk is NOT the place to be introduced to CAP...

I understand Pulsar, but people will look, I mean as I type this right now, there are 40 guest users looking at the forums right now...

LSThiker

Quote from: Fortunateson on May 28, 2014, 02:54:52 AM
there are 40 guest users looking at the forums right now...

Guest users can be people that have usernames but simply do not login.  I usually frequent the forums without logging into it.

Fortunateson

Quote from: LSThiker on May 28, 2014, 03:20:17 AM
Quote from: Fortunateson on May 28, 2014, 02:54:52 AM
there are 40 guest users looking at the forums right now...

Guest users can be people that have usernames but simply do not login.  I usually frequent the forums without logging into it.

Good point LSThiker, Thanks...

Panache

Quote from: Fortunateson on May 28, 2014, 01:40:35 AM
Why are there so many references to "Fat and Fuzzies"  throughout the forums?  I know what it represents, but to me, sounds a little disrespectful. 

Nah, you're pretty much spot-on.

Fortunateson

Quote from: Panache on May 28, 2014, 03:47:55 AM

As I stated earlier, If that's true, then that's sad...

The CyBorg is destroyed

Unfortunately so.

There is an unspoken division based on who can wear the USAF uniform and who cannot.  Those who cannot are generally out of height/weight/grooming standards, meaning they have to wear the alternative "corporate" uniform, which has no connection to the USAF.

I try to never use the term "fat and fuzzies."  I have used it in the past but I try hard not to use it now because it seems to me to be too pejorative.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

AirDX

In my experience (8 years of CAP), I have never heard that phrase outside of CAPTalk.

I have not experienced any division between those able to wear USAF-style uniforms and those not.

90% of what you read here is a tempest in the CAPTalk teapot - entertaining but not always reflective of reality.
Believe in fate, but lean forward where fate can see you.

JacobAnn

It is a new one on me.  I've been lurking for a while and this is the first I've heard that term.  Next time I see it I'll know.

Майор Хаткевич

Must not frequent the uniform board. The only place it comes up.

DoubleSecret

Quote from: CyBorg on May 28, 2014, 05:06:20 AM

Unfortunately so.

There is an unspoken division based on who can wear the USAF uniform and who cannot.  Those who cannot are generally out of height/weight/grooming standards, meaning they have to wear the alternative "corporate" uniform, which has no connection to the USAF.

I try to never use the term "fat and fuzzies."  I have used it in the past but I try hard not to use it now because it seems to me to be too pejorative.

I refuse to do it.  I also refuse to wear blues until I'm fully compliant.  I've seen plenty of senior members who are visibly overweight and who stuff themselves into blues with impunity.  One day a button's going to come flying off and put an eye out.  But they're connected with the Powers That Be, so there's nothing to be gained from tilting at that particular windmill.  "Excuse me, Colonel, I couldn't help noticing that service dress jacket.  Where did you get a size 62-R?"

Fortunateson

I appreciate all the responses, I guess it kind of struck a nerve with me as I would be in that category (for now anyway), and I wasn't sure I wanted to associate myself with an organization that this was a common occurrence in.  For the record, I am no stranger to CAP, although it was 25 years ago.  To give you some background, I completed 4.5 years of AFJROTC in high school, Served 4 years in the Navy as an E-4, and have worked for state and local governments most of my adult life.  I am also a current member of my city's CERT program.  So I don't want folks to think I'm coming in here stirring up trouble.  I'm pretty much a straight shooter and call it like I see it...