Main Menu

Unit Committees

Started by majdomke, October 23, 2013, 05:13:00 PM

majdomke

I'm not seeing anything official on what committees are required at the unit level besides finance. What do others recommend as unit committees?

lordmonar

Quote from: captdomke on October 23, 2013, 05:13:00 PM
I'm not seeing anything official on what committees are required at the unit level besides finance. What do others recommend as unit committees?
That's the only one.

Other suggested committees:  Membership, Promotion, Cadet Promotions, Awards and Decorations. 

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

majdomke

And is there anything saying who serves in what role? Like the cc must be the finance chair, etc?

Elioron

I can think of these:

• Membership: 39-2 Sec A, par 1-5 (not mandatory by NHQ, but check Wing suppliments)
  • Awards: 39-3 Sec A, par 7
  • Promotion: 35-5 Sec A, par 1-10a

All of them are required except membership, and that may be required by your wing (as it is in WAWG).
Scott W. Dean, Capt, CAP
CDS/DOS/ITO/Comm/LGT/Admin - CP
PCR-WA-019

Elioron

Oh, and the Cadet Promotion Board is at 52-16 5-2d
Scott W. Dean, Capt, CAP
CDS/DOS/ITO/Comm/LGT/Admin - CP
PCR-WA-019

NIN

Quote from: Elioron on October 23, 2013, 05:35:14 PM
All of them are required except membership, and that may be required by your wing (as it is in WAWG).

And if its not required, it is suggested (and is a really good idea).

The way I always structured my committees was to place the relevant staff officer or OPR for the committee's area in as the chair.  Some people were "ex-officio" on the committee (IIRC, finance, for example, has to have the commander. That might have changed since the last I looked).

Awards: Chaired by the personnel officer, members included the deputies for seniors & cadets (ex-officio) and another "disinterested" officer, plus an alternate.

Cadet Promotions: Chaired by the DCC or Leadership officer, and included the cadet commander. (there are other ways to do this, too)

Finance: (members per the finance reg) I think my finance guy was the chair, then the commander, the XO and a couple other members (again, "disinterested" ... like "has no stake in the game")

Membership: Personnel officer chair, usually 2 additional officers and alternates, and a cadet (for cadets only)
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

JeffDG

Quote from: NIN on October 23, 2013, 07:01:55 PM
Finance: (members per the finance reg) I think my finance guy was the chair, then the commander, the XO and a couple other members (again, "disinterested" ... like "has no stake in the game")
Commander is the chair of the finance committee:

QuoteCAPR 173-1, 9c:
This committee will be composed of the unit commander as the chairperson, the finance officer, and at least one other senior member.

One other thing about the finance committee, you can't just dump someone from it:
QuoteOnce finance committee members have been appointed they may only be involuntarily removed with the concurrence of the next higher commander except in the incidence of a change of command.

Eclipse

The draft 52-10 asserts membership and transfer boards will be mandatory and require voting on both.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on October 23, 2013, 08:20:04 PM
The draft 52-10 asserts membership and transfer boards will be mandatory and require voting on both.
:( don't get me started on the draft 52-10 boards.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

abdsp51

Promotion boards are not required for cadets, juat to throw that out there.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: abdsp51 on October 23, 2013, 08:46:52 PM

Nope, but you do need a CAPF 50 each phase.

NIN

Quote from: abdsp51 on October 23, 2013, 08:46:52 PM

Yep. Not required.

In my unit, they were.

(unfortunately, now, someone takes that to mean they're required for EVERY SINGLE PROMOTION UNDER THE SUN!  What a load of paperwork. Will someone please think of the trees?)
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

NIN

Quote from: JeffDG on October 23, 2013, 07:56:23 PM
Quote from: NIN on October 23, 2013, 07:01:55 PM
Commander is the chair of the finance committee:

QuoteCAPR 173-1, 9c:
This committee will be composed of the unit commander as the chairperson, the finance officer, and at least one other senior member.

One other thing about the finance committee, you can't just dump someone from it:
QuoteOnce finance committee members have been appointed they may only be involuntarily removed with the concurrence of the next higher commander except in the incidence of a change of command.

Oh, thats all new since the last time I was a commander. And nobody wants me to be the finance officer: I can't count my toes and get the same number twice. :)

Disregard me. Although I think its odd the commander is the chair of the finance committee.  It always seemed to me that my finance officer chaired and we concurred (or non-concurred) on items presented to the committee.  But then again, we actually had finance committee meetings, approved purchases, etc.  No rubber stamping

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP