2012 civil air patrol national conference

Started by KirkF22, August 18, 2012, 11:58:46 PM

Robb Ottenhoff

I also do not have a bachelor’s degree at 45 years old, and while having been successful in creating and running several businesses, I do understand, and even agree with, the logic behind the bachelor’s degree requirement for the national commander.  While I don't 'like' it personally, if I think about the larger picture, it does make since.  Here's why:

I understand and agree that many, many people walk out of formal training program with titles like; BA, BS, MBA, PhD, Level V, etc, and still don't know their ass from a hole in the ground.   But, at the end of the day (for me) it comes down to a simple question: Would I want a brand new senior member to be able to put on a pair of major's gold oak leaves without completing their Level III training or spending a minimum of 6 years in service?   It's not to say that just completing a CAP Level III plus 6 years of service will guarantee a strong "Major," but it is a best practice that we have established to give us a base line to know that they are at least ready to be 'trained' in their new "Major" responsibilities.

A bachelor’s degree then just occurs to me as another 'CAP Level' of training, albeit external.  For me it occurs as a challenge -- finish my own bachelor’s degree.  And isn't that one of the reasons to be a member of the Civil Air Patrol, to expand ourselves and what we are capable of achieving?

And finally, for the record, I still don't 'like' it.  Almost as much as I don't like the idea of going back to school at 45 years old. But if I am to be a leader and example for our cadets and others, then I'm going to have to confront and overcome stuff that I don't like from time to time.

ps: Today (8/28/12) is the day that I expect that National HQ will be processing my application for rejoining as a Senior Member (previous SM in 1988), so on this day of my (re)birth as a newly minted SMWOR I already find myself reaching for the 'Stars.'   :)

With respect and utter enthusiasm for what's next,

Robb
Robb Ottenhoff, Capt, CAP
Leadership Officer
Cloverfield Composite Squadron, CAWG

Rick-DEL

I wouldn't expect anything regarding the switch to ABU's. I was at the conference this past Saturday with my son for Cadet Day. He told me that one of the lined up guest speakers asked them "who wants to wear the ABU's?". Then, he mentioned to them not expect it to happen, there were some major hurdles for that to happen.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: BigShu on August 28, 2012, 02:21:27 AM
I always thought Clausewitz said that, but the interwebs suggest Von Moltke, Prussian Chief of Staff for Bismark.

It was Helmuth von Moltke the Elder.

My mistake.

And I do not see where people are reading "great, we're getting ABU's!" into Sir Ned's statement.

He said a request has been made, and now it's in the "hurry up and wait" stage.

WRT the baccalaureate requirement...when I joined CAP I was surprised to see that virtually everyone was an officer.  I thought it would be more like the Real Military, where to get a commission you have to have a bachelor's (I think certain WO career fields only require an associate's, but I could be wrong on that).  So I'm really not surprised to see this being made a requirement for NatCC.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

KirkF22

When the NB minutes are released, how do I find them?

jhsmith400

On the CAP eservices page over on the left side.  Sometimes some of the minutes there are a bit of a confusing read, ask me how I know.

jhsmith400

Had to start a thread on this very page just to ask wth(heck, to be pc).  Due to an odd wording of something relating to white shirts.

flyboy53

Quote from: Robb Ottenhoff on August 28, 2012, 04:58:56 PM
I also do not have a bachelor's degree at 45 years old, and while having been successful in creating and running several businesses, I do understand, and even agree with, the logic behind the bachelor's degree requirement for the national commander.  While I don't 'like' it personally, if I think about the larger picture, it does make since.  Here's why:

I understand and agree that many, many people walk out of formal training program with titles like; BA, BS, MBA, PhD, Level V, etc, and still don't know their ass from a hole in the ground.   But, at the end of the day (for me) it comes down to a simple question: Would I want a brand new senior member to be able to put on a pair of major's gold oak leaves without completing their Level III training or spending a minimum of 6 years in service?   It's not to say that just completing a CAP Level III plus 6 years of service will guarantee a strong "Major," but it is a best practice that we have established to give us a base line to know that they are at least ready to be 'trained' in their new "Major" responsibilities.

A bachelor's degree then just occurs to me as another 'CAP Level' of training, albeit external.  For me it occurs as a challenge -- finish my own bachelor's degree.  And isn't that one of the reasons to be a member of the Civil Air Patrol, to expand ourselves and what we are capable of achieving?

And finally, for the record, I still don't 'like' it.  Almost as much as I don't like the idea of going back to school at 45 years old. But if I am to be a leader and example for our cadets and others, then I'm going to have to confront and overcome stuff that I don't like from time to time.

ps: Today (8/28/12) is the day that I expect that National HQ will be processing my application for rejoining as a Senior Member (previous SM in 1988), so on this day of my (re)birth as a newly minted SMWOR I already find myself reaching for the 'Stars.'   :)

With respect and utter enthusiasm for what's next,

Robb

Is it really a bachelor's or will it be a bachelor's equivalency. Either way, I see that education requirement as a good thing and it has nothing to do with student loans, given the number of courses out there that give college credit upon completion.

SarDragon

Quote from: jhsmith400 on August 29, 2012, 12:05:01 AM
On the CAP eservices page over on the left side.  Sometimes some of the minutes there are a bit of a confusing read, ask me how I know.

Quote from: KirkF22 on August 29, 2012, 12:18:43 AM
How do you know?

Google "rhetorical question".
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

denverpilot

Quote from: flyboy1 on August 29, 2012, 12:49:08 AM
Is it really a bachelor's or will it be a bachelor's equivalency. Either way, I see that education requirement as a good thing and it has nothing to do with student loans, given the number of courses out there that give college credit upon completion.

Why specifically do you see it as a good thing? Have you noted any specific traits of leadership or skillset which are never found in non-degree-holding candidates, which can be gained in no other way?

flyboy53

Quote from: denverpilot on August 29, 2012, 07:59:49 AM
Quote from: flyboy1 on August 29, 2012, 12:49:08 AM

Why specifically do you see it as a good thing? Have you noted any specific traits of leadership or skillset which are never found in non-degree-holding candidates, which can be gained in no other way?

Agreed, but setting an education requirement ramps up the level of professionalism necessary for someone to command an organization such as this, eliminates a lot of the politics that resulted in a few previous leadership embarassments, and starts us in a different direction.

Establishing a educational criteria for a national commander doesn't mean that sheepskin makes him a better leader, it becomes an indication of that individual's capabilities and experience, and that's why I asked if it was a degree or the equiviant of 120 semester hours.

After all, do we want quality in a leader or more backroom politics.

Garibaldi

Quote from: flyboy1 on August 29, 2012, 11:30:37 AM

that's why I asked if it was a degree or the equiviant of 120 semester hours.

I have 125 semester hours but no bachelor's.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

KirkF22

Quote from: SarDragon on August 29, 2012, 04:17:17 AM

How do you know?

Must not have been rhetorical if he answered it. Thank You very much.

Garibaldi

Quote from: KirkF22 on August 29, 2012, 08:16:27 PM

How do you know?

We didn't study those in school.

KirkF22

Quote from: Garibaldi on August 29, 2012, 08:23:43 PM
Quote from: KirkF22 on August 29, 2012, 08:16:27 PM

How do you know?

We didn't study those in school.

Haha I did, but it wasn't retorical if he answered it. SarDragon Google "rhetorical question".

SarDragon

Way ahead of you.

I think it was intended as such when he posted it, but was polite enough to respond when asked.

Please review my sig, and keep in mind that you aren't dealing with any kind of n00b here.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

KirkF22

Quote from: SarDragon on August 29, 2012, 11:58:29 PM
Way ahead of you.

I think it was intended as such when he posted it, but was polite enough to respond when asked.

Please review my sig, and keep in mind that you aren't dealing with any kind of n00b here.

Maybe that is the case. But when you posted it was after his answer to his so called "rhetorical question". And I "reviewed" your sig.

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Garibaldi

Looks like they put all the stuff for the NB meeting online:

http://www.capmembers.com/events/cap_annual_conference/2011-learning-labs-louisville-kentucky/

And skimming over the ppt for the NUC...don't hold your breath on ABUs or any major uniform change til winter 2013 at least.

Eclipse

Quote from: Garibaldi on August 31, 2012, 07:12:10 PM
Looks like they put all the stuff for the NB meeting online:

http://www.capmembers.com/events/cap_annual_conference/2011-learning-labs-louisville-kentucky/

And skimming over the ppt for the NUC...don't hold your breath on ABUs or any major uniform change til winter 2013 at least.

Despite the text in the link, those are the correct briefings.

"That Others May Zoom"