2012 civil air patrol national conference

Started by KirkF22, August 18, 2012, 11:58:46 PM

arajca

Any updates on anything? Besides governance, that is.

rugger1869

What were the uniform recommendations?

Critical AOA

Quote from: rugger1869 on August 24, 2012, 11:15:30 PM

Don't know but I am hoping for tiger stripe golf shirt with khaki shorts and a boonie hat.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

AngelWings

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on August 24, 2012, 11:19:14 PM

Don't know but I am hoping for tiger stripe golf shirt with khaki shorts and a boonie hat.
You know what, that'd actually be a pretty [darn] awesome uniform combo!!!

rugger1869

Does anyone have any information about the uniform study? I'm really interested in the outcome from this.

BrannG

I am also eager for any more news, on any part of the conference... *waiting not so patiently*

Lackland Cadet Squadron - SWR-TX-007 2012-Current
Kelly Composite Squadron - 42178 (Deactivated) 1994-2000
Cadet from 1994-1998
Senior Member from 1998-2000, 2012-Current
United States Air Force 2000-2006, 0-3

AngelWings

Quote from: BrannG on August 25, 2012, 09:38:43 PM
I am also eager for any more news, on any part of the conference... *waiting not so patiently*
+1

"Y THEY NO UPDATE FREQUENTLY?"

Critical AOA

Quote from: AngelWings on August 25, 2012, 12:01:16 AM

I know!!  Now we just need to agree on foot wear. 

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

AngelWings

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on August 26, 2012, 12:26:03 AM

Sewage System Green roughout dress shoes with green ankle socks!

Critical AOA

Quote from: AngelWings on August 26, 2012, 12:30:04 AM
Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on August 26, 2012, 12:26:03 AM

Sewage System Green roughout dress shoes with green ankle socks!

Well I was thinking more along the lines of tan colored hiking shoes although....

FW

Quote from: Dragoon on August 24, 2012, 04:10:29 PM
This is good news.  While I doubt CAP will ever adopt a true "military" mindset, at least a top-down authority chain will keep us focused on core missions.   There's probably a lot of old guard Wing CCs (some  with national aspirations) who are realllllllly torqued about this.

The only self licking part of the new plan is the 4 at large CAP members.  Effectively, they could become the National CC's voting block.  I wonder how they'll avoid this.

The 4 at large CAP members will be selected by some means not yet specified. However,  it was implied that only the BoG will have the authority to remove them. No self licking icecream cone here. 

There may be a few region commanders who are upset about the new requirements for National Commander selection. Level V and a 4 year degree is a new bar which some don't meet. Gen Carr has been "grandfathered" in. I'm pretty sure he will serve his full term.  I would bet most of the "old gaurd" is upset about the new "status quo".  I can only say; Karma is a B***H! If they didn't just blindly follow. If they only understood what "fiduciary responsibility" was and, if only they acted as true leaders, there might have been a different outcome.

Garibaldi

On another, unrelated, but related note, I'm guessing that any other business conducted today will be posted on Monday or Tuesday. I am anxiously awaiting developments on a front that I am (self-imposed) forbidden to bring up for fear of smacking the deceased equine mammal with an iron stick.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

The CyBorg is destroyed

I am cautiously optimistic about what I have read so far, or should I say, slightly less sceptical.

I really wouldn't expect much earth-shattering about uniforms.  In fact, I wouldn't expect anything except to maybe close some of the loopholes in 39-1 and standardise on a set of grey trousers (it'll still be a colourless, drab uniform but at least it'll be a UNIFORM colourless, drab uniform).  I wouldn't expect any changes to the AF uniforms...and that includes the ABU.  Maybe the BBDU's will be adopted for all members.  Don't expect headgear for the grey/white and expect the blazer to be retained but maybe standardised (yech).  In other words, very, very minimalist changes if any at all.

As far as changes to governance...Sir Winston Churchill once said that the best battle plans rarely survive contact with the enemy, and the "enemy" in this case is the entrenched GOB network who hand out promotions, staff positions and CommComms to their "favoured" ones.  It sounds really good on paper but when the rubber hits the road it's going to take people with a spine to make it happen.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

arajca

So I take it, aside from the governance issue, nothing happened at the NB meeting.

a2capt

..that they want you to know about ;)

...the bit about the lack of use of the streaming could have been a rouse to shut it down ...

Oh conspiracies are fun.

Seriously, that was a plateful as it was. I'd also fathom that any other real changes at a meeting where that kind of structural change was on on the agenda.. 

Okay, one might argue that they should have cleared up any outstanding old business. Perhaps yes, perhaps no. If you're going to make a sweeping change to the system that makes changes, it's probably a good idea to let it solve the rest of the stuff afterwards.

Eclipse

Hopefully the more nimble approval paradigm will move some of the other things forward more quickly.

Between the CAP changes and the CAP-USAF restructuring, it's going to take a quarter or two just to get the boat turned and back up to
speed.  Budget and CR issues in there won't make it easier.

I would hope that by 2QFY13 things are moving at a steady state with all the "new".

"That Others May Zoom"

BrannG

Why is it there is NOTHING about the NB being shared? I CRAVE THE KNOWLEDGE!!  :P

Lackland Cadet Squadron - SWR-TX-007 2012-Current
Kelly Composite Squadron - 42178 (Deactivated) 1994-2000
Cadet from 1994-1998
Senior Member from 1998-2000, 2012-Current
United States Air Force 2000-2006, 0-3

Ned

As we have done with the last several NB and NEC meetings, you will see an Executive Summary posted on the NHQ website within a few days.  They have previously also put edited video up as well for things like the staff briefings, but for this meeting the NB did not have the staff actually brief.

The NB meeting itself was one of the shortest on record.  They essentially finished their agenda items in about 3-4 hours of work on Thursday.  I don't have my agenda handy here at work, but some of the more contraversial measures were referred to committee for further analysis (the best example being the "non-renewal" proposal).  Otherwise, there was nothing very dramatic on for discussion during the NB business meeting, just the quiet work of our senior volunteer leaders doing the more-or-less routine work of governing the corporation.

The NUC did deliver their brief, but there are no immediate changes to share.  NHQ is working up a package to go forward to the Office of the Secretary of Defense to receive a waiver / authorization to wear ABUs.  My personal guess is that such a request will be granted, but we are talking about a lengthy beaurocratic journey either way.

In any event, watch for the Executive Summary on the NHQ website.  Should be out soon.

Ned Lee

Extremepredjudice

So we are getting the tigerstripe uniform? Wow. Honestly, did not expect that...
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

RiverAux

Why would we expect anything to come from this now that we've learned that this particular part of CAP is essentially a bunch of lame ducks?  Sure they still technically have some authority since the bylaws haven't been changed yet but I doubt any other significant change to happen until those bylaws are changed and the BOG takes away authority from everyone else to which it had been previously delegated.