Civil Air Patrol Theme Song?

Started by RADIOMAN015, September 20, 2010, 09:14:24 PM

Johnny Yuma

Quote from: Major Carrales on September 21, 2010, 04:10:19 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on September 21, 2010, 04:07:15 AM
Quote from: Major Carrales on September 21, 2010, 03:39:06 AM
Quote from: Nilsog on September 21, 2010, 03:36:56 AM
I like it, we need to make it ours again... while keeping our traditions and proper logos alive.

Well, written.  I don't see why an instrumental version of this could not be brought forth as other organizations have done in a tasteful and reverent manner.

I'd be willing to bet a bright cadet who is also a musician could do a symphony-sounding version on a synth for zero dollars.

I was writing a "Texas Wing March" a while back...but that project did not come through.  It was gonna be a small brass ensemble.

Texas Wing, eh?

Sort of a cross between Tejano and Bob Wills I imagine... ;D
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

vmstan

After reading the CGAUX March lyrics, ours isn't so bad after all.

I'm going to ask our commander if we can play the march at opening, after the national anthem, next week.
MICHAEL M STANCLIFT, 1st Lt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer, NCR-KS-055, Heartland Squadron

Quote"I wish to compliment NHQ on this extremely well and clearly written regulation.
This publication once and for all should establish the uniform pattern to be followed
throughout Civil Air Patrol."

1949 Uniform and Insignia Committee comment on CAP Reg 35-4

Major Carrales

Quote from: Johnny Yuma on September 22, 2010, 11:46:43 PM
I like it, we need to make it ours again... while keeping our traditions and proper logos alive.

Well, written.  I don't see why an instrumental version of this could not be brought forth as other organizations have done in a tasteful and reverent manner.

I'd be willing to bet a bright cadet who is also a musician could do a symphony-sounding version on a synth for zero dollars.

I was writing a "Texas Wing March" a while back...but that project did not come through.  It was gonna be a small brass ensemble.

Texas Wing, eh?

With a Mariachi twist...lol  Or maybe TEXAS SWING.  I send my initial works to TUBACAP for FYI.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

dogden

You just need to be able to sing it with a toothpick in your mouth or it won't work!!

Quote from: Major Carrales on September 23, 2010, 04:14:54 AM
Quote from: Johnny Yuma on September 22, 2010, 11:46:43 PM

Texas Wing, eh?

With a Mariachi twist...lol  Or maybe TEXAS SWING.  I send my initial works to TUBACAP for FYI.
David C Ogden, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing, Group IV Commander
GRW#3325

BradM

How about this song for doing parades and drills? From the movie The Battle of Britain.
FYI, its not really a German song. The music begins at 0.31 secs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNVVoH9-QH0
BRAD MELILLO, 1st Lt, CAP
Finance Officer
Asst. Professional Development Officer
Brackett Composite Squadron 64
La Verne, CA

Chappie

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on September 22, 2010, 03:34:10 AM
Thanks for all the replies (It is interest that no mention is made in any of CAP's professional development programs about the song that already exits) --  perhaps since we have a "theme" song already, maybe the song could more of a "tribute" type song with words specifically to CAP's history & programs.   

As far as Bryan Adams' song "Never Let Go", my understanding is that this is a tribute to the Canadian Coast Guard.

Perhaps I'll go forward with a suggestion that the song writer/singer to consider writing something specifically about CAP.    I know her past works haven't really looked at specific organizations, so this would be a different challenge for her.    Maybe she will visit some units to get a better "feel" of CAP and it's members.
RM

It took me awhile to find it...but here are the lyrics to The CAP Hymn:

LORD, GUARD AND GUIDE THE CAP

To the tune of the United States Air Force Hymn ("Lord, Guard and Guide the Men Who Fly").  The lyrics of the USAF Hymn were written in 1915 by Mary C. D. Hamilton to the tune "Hesperus", composed in 1854 by the Englishman Henry Baker (1835-1910). The lyrics of the CAP Hymn were written in 1993 by Chaplain James R. Behrens.

1.  Lord, guard and guide the C-A-P.  Grant them desire to trust in Thee.
     As they strive in their missions thress.  So vigiliant we all may be.

2.  Bless us as we work with our youth.  Help us to teach the ways of trusth.
     Through leadership that we may see the value of our beliefs in Thee.

3.  Be with us as we search the air For persons troubled and despaired.
     Be with us as we serve the needs by loving actions learned through Thee.

4.  Help us to reach the farthest heights in aerospace that's out of sight!
     Help us to know all that can be, Through the efforts of C-A-P.

5.  Be with our loved ones while apart.  Help them to know why we must part.
     Lord, be with us, in all we do.  'Till the whole world learns to trust in You!  AMEN.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: BradM on September 23, 2010, 09:16:49 PM
How about this song for doing parades and drills? From the movie The Battle of Britain.

Not really a German song?  I think that was (and still is) the "Luftwaffe March."
Another former CAP officer

HGjunkie

••• retired
2d Lt USAF

RiverAux

Who says we can't dump this song?  Yes, it is old.  Yes, it may have been "official" at one point or another.  But, it certainly is not near and dear to the hearts of CAP members as are some of the songs for the services.  For better or for worse we've dumped all sorts of stuff CAP life that existed back when that song was written. 

So, I don't think a single person would be terribly offended if a new song was written. 

That being said, I don't think very many people would care if someone did come up with something significantly better.  We really don't have a need for something like that. 

Major Carrales

Quote from: RiverAux on September 25, 2010, 09:13:58 PM
Who says we can't dump this song?  Yes, it is old.  Yes, it may have been "official" at one point or another.  But, it certainly is not near and dear to the hearts of CAP members as are some of the songs for the services.  For better or for worse we've dumped all sorts of stuff CAP life that existed back when that song was written. 

So, I don't think a single person would be terribly offended if a new song was written. 

That being said, I don't think very many people would care if someone did come up with something significantly better.  We really don't have a need for something like that.

If you slowed the tempo down, arranged it where there was a trumpet solo and modernized the counter melodies...it would sound like a different song, yet still be the same.  And only people with a deep hatred for CAP hsitory would have a problem with it.

Someone, send me the sheet music and I may try to do that.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on September 25, 2010, 08:25:07 PM
Quote from: BradM on September 23, 2010, 09:16:49 PM

Not really a German song?  I think that was (and still is) the "Luftwaffe March."

When first published, it was titled 'Luftwaffe March'. It was later renamed the 'Aces High March'. It was actually composed by Ron Goodwin, a British composer. He also composed a similar march for the RAF for the film Battle of Britain.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

BillB

Love the shots of the JU-52 in the opening.  It still has the BMW engines. I got a type rating in the JU-52, but the engines had been changed to Wrights.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

JohnKachenmeister

If you look close on some of the Heinkels, you can see N-numbers.

JohnKachenmeister

CAP OTG has mostly uninspiring lyrics, but

The tune, while dated, ain't too bad.

If Sparky can update the musical arrangement, I think that all the brains we have here can update the lyrics.

The words should keep the "Ready in peace, ready in war..." line, but:

Can we mention SAR/DR with something other than "Protect the living likes of you?"

Can we mention cadet programs and AE specifically, not just a line about air supremacy?

When CAP OTG was written, there was no space program yet...maybe we could mention that.

Also, repeating words just to fill a line is silly and amateurish.  We can do better.

Major Carrales

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on September 26, 2010, 11:17:08 AM

If Sparky can update the musical arrangement, I think that all the brains we have here can update the lyrics.

Can we mention SAR/DR with something other than "Protect the living likes of you?"

Can we mention cadet programs and AE specifically, not just a line about air supremacy?

When CAP OTG was written, there was no space program yet...maybe we could mention that.

Also, repeating words just to fill a line is silly and amateurish.  We can do better.

"Alway, Always, Always on the go"

"Always, ever ready on the go"

Plus we could add...

"You've had you breakfast in bed before,
but you won't have it there any more"    ;D

Commander
SWR-TX-454

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on September 26, 2010, 11:03:17 AM
If you look close on some of the Heinkels, you can see N-numbers.

The He-111s and the Bf-109s used in the film were license-built in Spain for the Ejercito del Aire (Spanish Air Force). They were powered with Rolls-Royce Merlins.

Back on topic...

If Maj C can come up with a revised lyric and tune for the 'CAP song', let's at least give it a listen.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: Major Carrales on September 26, 2010, 05:26:35 PM

Plus we could add...

Nice try.  That's from "This is the Army."

This is the Army Mister Green
We like to keep our barracks nice and clean,
You used to have a maid to scrub your floor,
But you ain't got a maid any more!

HGjunkie

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on September 26, 2010, 10:06:19 PM

Hmm...
This is the C.A.P Mister green
We like to keep our barracks nice and clean
you used to have yo' mama scrub the floor
But you ain't got yo' mama nooo mooooore!

8)
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Major Carrales

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on September 26, 2010, 10:06:19 PM
Quote from: Major Carrales on September 26, 2010, 05:26:35 PM

Plus we could add...

I knew I could depend on "Smilin' Kach" to know the right lyrics.  Honestly, I tend to combine the "CAP is Always on the GO" and the Irving Berlin song in my mind.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

AirDX

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on September 25, 2010, 08:25:07 PM
Lt. Col. John Kachenmeister, CAP
Mitchell Award, 1966.
Republic of Vietnam Service, 1969-1970 (Ruled "Inappropriate" by the NLO, 2009).
Gill Robb Wilson Award #2604, 2008.
Declared a "Threat to National Security" by the Secretary of DHS, 2009.
Facing Congressional investigation for opposing the Muslim Victory Mosque at Ground Zero, 2010

And now for something completely off topic: I nominate this for best signature block ever.
Believe in fate, but lean forward where fate can see you.