Civil Air Patrol Theme Song?

Started by RADIOMAN015, September 20, 2010, 09:14:24 PM

RADIOMAN015

Just wanted to check with the group.  We don't have an official theme song do we ???

Met a singer/songwriter recently that actually is looking for ideas to write songs about, perhaps I'll suggest to her to consider writing a song about Civil Air Patrol.

Perhaps National Headquarters could actually run a competition for song writers/singers/musicians to develop a theme song for CAP.
Wouldn't that be great!!!!

I'm going to drop her an email in the next few days and give here some official website information.  Maybe we will be singing (or at least humming) her song if she decides to do the project!!!

RM   

HGjunkie

Oh noes. We doesn't has a theme song.  ::)

Is this seriously something we need to worry about?
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

tarheel gumby

Yes, the CAP does have it own theme song. Just check with the National Historical staff, Maj. James Shaw should be able to set you up with a copy.  The AF used to provide it on 45's to all squadrons.
Joseph Myers Maj. CAP
Squadron Historian MER NC 019
Historian MER NC 001
Historian MER 001

jimmydeanno

Quote from: tarheel gumby on September 20, 2010, 09:20:08 PM
Yes, the CAP does have it own theme song. Just check with the National Historical staff, Maj. James Shaw should be able to set you up with a copy.  The AF used to provide it on 45's to all squadrons.

It can be found here: http://www.ner.cap.gov/music/capongoi.mp3

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

HGjunkie

Wait a minute, I have heard this before. On the Rack Builder app for my itouch. It has lyrics to it.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

GTCommando

Nice beat, I like it. Anyone know where to find the lyrics? Don't have an itouch.
C/Maj, CAP                 
Alpha Flight Commander                     
Pathfinder Composite squadron
Earhart #15889

"For the partisan, when he is engaged in a dispute, cares nothing about the rights of the question, but is anxious only to convince his hearers." -- Socrates

jeders

NNNOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

I thought this song was buried deep within the recesses of the internet. I'm pretty sure I remember that the last time this song was discussed on here there was a fairly universal outcry for it to go away and never be spoken of again.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

GTCommando

^Got a better idea? As I said, I like the tune, but I'll pass judgment on the lyrics once I find them. Besides, it reminds me of the tune to the AF Song, and that's what counts, isn't it? That and halfway decent lyrics.  ;)
C/Maj, CAP                 
Alpha Flight Commander                     
Earhart #15889

"For the partisan, when he is engaged in a dispute, cares nothing about the rights of the question, but is anxious only to convince his hearers." -- Socrates

Major Lord

There is a CAP hymn too. If I got to vote to adopt a song it would be "Tainted Love".

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Chappie

Quote from: GTCommando on September 20, 2010, 09:54:18 PM
Nice beat, I like it. Anyone know where to find the lyrics? Don't have an itouch.

You asked for it.....

The C.A.P. Is On The Go

We are the C.A.P. we're on the go.
We're always, always, always on the go.
We are ready in peace, ready in war,
Ready for what we're needed for,
THE C.A.P. IS ON THE GO.

Down on the ground, up in the blue,
Set to protect the living likes of you,
From training cadets to flying patrol,
With air supremacy our goal,
We of the C.A.P. want you to know,

In this land of the free,
We'll protect our liberty,
So feel secure to know,
That the Civil Air Patrol is on the go.

(Repeat)

Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

cap235629

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

JohnKachenmeister

The most recent issue of Air Force magazine has an article about how "Wild Blue Yonder" became the AF song.  Bottom line and lesson learned:  Great songs come from inspiration, not competition.

"CAP Is On The Go" is not very inspiring, except for one line:

"Ready in peace, ready in war, ready for what we're needed for."  This beats the bloodyhell out of "Citizens serving communities."

Another former CAP officer

CAP Producer

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on September 20, 2010, 09:14:24 PM
Just wanted to check with the group.  We don't have an official theme song do we ???

Met a singer/songwriter recently that actually is looking for ideas to write songs about, perhaps I'll suggest to her to consider writing a song about Civil Air Patrol.

Perhaps National Headquarters could actually run a competition for song writers/singers/musicians to develop a theme song for CAP.
Wouldn't that be great!!!!

I'm going to drop her an email in the next few days and give here some official website information.  Maybe we will be singing (or at least humming) her song if she decides to do the project!!!

RM   

Hi,

If you are going to move forward with this project please make sure that you engage with your Wing and Region PAO's before you start work and that they work with me and my colleagues at National HQ. It looks like a great idea but we need to work this thru channels and the chain of command before you start.

Thanks.
AL PABON, Major, CAP

BradM

Quote from: cap235629 on September 20, 2010, 11:06:14 PM
I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit

haha its not that bad if you think in the context of the 1940s not the 21st century. Do you have a version with the vocals and the music?
BRAD MELILLO, 1st Lt, CAP
Finance Officer
Asst. Professional Development Officer
Brackett Composite Squadron 64
La Verne, CA

BradM

Quote from: Chappie on September 20, 2010, 10:41:17 PM

So feel secure to know,

NEWSFLASH: The C.A.P. is to receive two squadrons of F-22A Raptors! ;)
Finance Officer
La Verne, CA

Major Carrales

Get over yourselves people.  "CAP is on the Go" is a product of its time and musically is no more "cheesy" than any such song from its era (and for that matter the themes of any of the Armed Forces).

The only difference is the the Services took their songs of heart over time and made them "theirs" while CAP did not do that. 

Really, read the Air Force Theme and you will see it is loaded with outdated and out moded English and slang from the time of its inception (heck...it even has a "ZOOM" in it)...

QuoteOff we go into the wild blue yonder,
Climbing high into the sun;
Here they come zooming to meet our thunder,
At 'em boys, Give 'er the gun! (Give 'er the gun now!)
Down we dive, spouting our flame from under,
Off with one heckuva roar!
We live in fame or go down in flame. Hey!
Nothing'll stop the U.S. Air Force!

Minds of men fashioned a crate of thunder
Sent it high into the blue
Hands of men blasted the world asunder,
How they lived God only knew!
Souls of men dreaming of skies to conquer
Gave us wings ever to soar,
With scouts before and bombers galore, Hey!
Nothing'll stop the US Air Force!

Here's a toast to the host of those
Who love the vastness of the sky,
To a friend we send a message
Of his brother men who fly.
We drink to those who gave their all of old,
Then down we roar
to score the rainbow's pot of gold.
A toast to the host of men we boast, the US Air Force.

Zoom!

Off we go into the wild sky yonder,
Keep the wings level and true!
If you'd live to be a grey-haired wonder,
Keep your nose out of the blue! (Out of the blue, boy!)
Flying men guarding the nation's border,
We'll be there, followed by more,
In echelon we carry on! Hey!
Nothing'll stop the US Air Force!

A well arranged instrumental version of "CAP is on the Go" as a march would do it justice.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Nilsog

I like it, we need to make it ours again... while keeping our traditions and proper logos alive.
Kenneth Goslin
1st Lt., CAP

Major Carrales

Quote from: Nilsog on September 21, 2010, 03:36:56 AM
I like it, we need to make it ours again... while keeping our traditions and proper logos alive.

Well, written.  I don't see why an instrumental version of this could not be brought forth as other organizations have done in a tasteful and reverent manner.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Eclipse

Quote from: Major Carrales on September 21, 2010, 03:39:06 AM

Well, written.  I don't see why an instrumental version of this could not be brought forth as other organizations have done in a tasteful and reverent manner.

I'd be willing to bet a bright cadet who is also a musician could do a symphony-sounding version on a synth for zero dollars.

"That Others May Zoom"

Major Carrales

Quote from: Eclipse on September 21, 2010, 04:07:15 AM

I'd be willing to bet a bright cadet who is also a musician could do a symphony-sounding version on a synth for zero dollars.

I was writing a "Texas Wing March" a while back...but that project did not come through.  It was gonna be a small brass ensemble.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

NCRblues

ZERO DOLLARS?? that would take up my whole CAP paycheck!!! shesh, anyway i like the song, considering the time frame it could really sound nice to a march...
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

SarDragon

I'm sorry, CAP on the Go makes my ears bleed.

My music collection includes marches in the dozens, and does NOT include that CAP thing. It becomes a horrible earworm after I listen to it. AAARRRGGHH!
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Major Carrales

Quote from: SarDragon on September 21, 2010, 04:40:03 AM

My music collection includes marches in the dozens, and does NOT include that CAP thing. It becomes a horrible earworm after I listen to it. AAARRRGGHH!

Just like "It's a Small World" does at the "Happy Kingdom" and a school's Alma Matre likely does to its students after a while...but, in the end, the songs are there's.  Made so by tradition.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

SarDragon

There's a difference between overly played/listened to, and purely corrosive to the auditory sense. I have never been able to listen to CAP IOTG without cringing. Ever.

The others you mentioned, also including Elgar's Pomp and Circumstance (band at graduations for three years), do not affect me in a similar manner.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

JC004

Quote from: SarDragon on September 21, 2010, 04:40:03 AM

The song makes my ears bleed and the Triangle makes my eyes bleed.  People are going to start thinking that I have ebola or something.   >:D

shorning

Quote from: JC004 on September 21, 2010, 08:38:59 AM
The song makes my ears bleed and the Triangle makes my eyes bleed.  People are going to start thinking that I have ebola or something.   >:D

-you do
-we forgot to tell you
-sorry

James Shaw

I can send both the Vocal and Instrumental versions if someone wants them. I also have a scan of the sheet music if wanted.

I actually have the "instrumental version" as a ringtone for my CAP related numbers.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

BillB

Jim

What is your cell phone number so I can call you and torture you with that ringtone
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

James Shaw

Quote from: BillB on September 21, 2010, 11:21:58 AM
Jim

What is your cell phone number so I can call you and torture you with that ringtone

1-800-REV-ENGE

I like the ringtone. :)
Jim Shaw

AirAux

Sorry, Guys, I have to agree with Jim on this one.  It's a part of our heritage.  Grasp it, embrace it, accept it.  There are a lot of greater songs than the "Halls of Montezuma", but you can't replace the tradition and heritage.  Some of us are proud of our little yellow and red airplanes bombing Nazi subs.  If we lose our heritage, we have lost some of the best of CAP.   

spacecommand

My vision of the future sees someone posting the question..."Why is CAP wasting efforts on creating/selecting a theme song?" "was: amendment to ways to cut CAP spending."

Smoothice

At least its not as bad as 1-877-KARS For KIDS!!!!!!!!

I have seen a few videos that used Bryan Adams' "Never Let Go"

pretty cool

ol'fido

We used to use the "1941" March from the movie "1941" for pass in review at encampment. Seemed highly appropriate.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

JohnKachenmeister

I think some re-work of the lyrics would help... like how many times can you use "Always" in one line?

RADIOMAN015

Thanks for all the replies (It is interest that no mention is made in any of CAP's professional development programs about the song that already exits) --  perhaps since we have a "theme" song already, maybe the song could more of a "tribute" type song with words specifically to CAP's history & programs.   

As far as Bryan Adams' song "Never Let Go", my understanding is that this is a tribute to the Canadian Coast Guard.

Perhaps I'll go forward with a suggestion that the song writer/singer to consider writing something specifically about CAP.    I know her past works haven't really looked at specific organizations, so this would be a different challenge for her.    Maybe she will visit some units to get a better "feel" of CAP and it's members.
RM 

GTCommando

Quote from: Chappie on September 20, 2010, 10:41:17 PM
You asked for it.....

The C.A.P. Is On The Go

We are the C.A.P. we're on the go.
THE C.A.P. IS ON THE GO.

Down on the ground, up in the blue,
Set to protect the living likes of you,
From training cadets to flying patrol,
We of the C.A.P. want you to know,

So feel secure to know,

(Repeat)

And the tune had so much potential...  :'( :'( :'(
C/Maj, CAP                 
Alpha Flight Commander                     
Earhart #15889

SarDragon

Quote from: GTCommando on September 22, 2010, 04:19:16 AM
And the tune had so much potential...  :'( :'( :'(

Potential, like lightning that will fry you in milliseconds!
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

RRLE

QuotePerhaps I'll go forward with a suggestion that the song writer/singer to consider writing something specifically about CAP.

Make sure that whoever agrees to do this also agrees to turn the copyright over to CAP. The USCG Auxiliary had an official March. It was distributed to all the flotillas on a 45 and sheet music was made available. However, the author/composer retained the rights to the music and lyrics. After his death,  the family refused to relinguish the rights, although they never tried to collect a dime from the Aux. Do to the uncertainty of the rights 'down the  road', the Aux officially 'delsited' the March as its official song.

The march has 2 names, "Fly Your Ensign" and the "Coast Guard Auxiliary March".

The words, for comparison to CAP, are:

QuoteStand up and cheer --
The Aux-il-ia-ry is here --
The Coast Guard Aux-il-ia -ry.

(Chorus)

We are the Coast Guard -- Aux-il-ia-ry
Let's weigh the anchor, set the course and off to sea.---
We are the Coast Guard -- Aux-il-ia -ry---
To pro-mote safe boat-ing is our pol-i-cy.--
Tell each Com-man-der--- and Com-mo-dore---
That he can count on us from ev-'ry ship and shore,----
So fly the en-sign proud-ly in the breeze,
Will-ing, read-y in all e-mer-gen-cies--
Coast Guard stands for safe-ty on the seas,
We are the Coast Guard -- Aux-il-ia -ry.

(Interlude)

Pat-rols are out in weath-er calm---
Or storm-y as can be.------
We give first aid and lend-- a hand--
To dis -tressed boats at sea.---
We teach and educate---
And we demonstrate---
Safe-ty and pro-tec-tion.----
De-cals are giv-en free By an Aux-il-ia-ry "C. M. E."---
When boats pass ex-am-in -a-tion---
So stand up and cheer---
The Aux-il-ia-ry's here!--
-
(repeat Chorus)[/quote

Spaceman3750

Quote from: RRLE on September 22, 2010, 12:45:24 PM
QuotePerhaps I'll go forward with a suggestion that the song writer/singer to consider writing something specifically about CAP.

Make sure that whoever agrees to do this also agrees to turn the copyright over to CAP. The USCG Auxiliary had an official March. It was distributed to all the flotillas on a 45 and sheet music was made available. However, the author/composer retained the rights to the music and lyrics. After his death,  the family refused to relinguish the rights, although they never tried to collect a dime from the Aux. Do to the uncertainty of the rights 'down the  road', the Aux officially 'delsited' the March as its official song.

The march has 2 names, "Fly Your Ensign" and the "Coast Guard Auxiliary March".

The words, for comparison to CAP, are:

QuoteStand up and cheer --
The Aux-il-ia-ry is here --
The Coast Guard Aux-il-ia -ry.

(Chorus)

We are the Coast Guard -- Aux-il-ia-ry
Let's weigh the anchor, set the course and off to sea.---
We are the Coast Guard -- Aux-il-ia -ry---
To pro-mote safe boat-ing is our pol-i-cy.--
Tell each Com-man-der--- and Com-mo-dore---
That he can count on us from ev-'ry ship and shore,----
So fly the en-sign proud-ly in the breeze,
Will-ing, read-y in all e-mer-gen-cies--
Coast Guard stands for safe-ty on the seas,
We are the Coast Guard -- Aux-il-ia -ry.

(Interlude)

Pat-rols are out in weath-er calm---
Or storm-y as can be.------
We give first aid and lend-- a hand--
To dis -tressed boats at sea.---
We teach and educate---
And we demonstrate---
Safe-ty and pro-tec-tion.----
De-cals are giv-en free By an Aux-il-ia-ry "C. M. E."---
When boats pass ex-am-in -a-tion---
So stand up and cheer---
The Aux-il-ia-ry's here!--
-
(repeat Chorus)

I think I like ours better...

Persona non grata

Lets just adopt the main score from IRON EAGEL and make up words for it and call it a day ;D
Rock, Flag & Eagle.........

Johnny Yuma

Quote from: Major Carrales on September 21, 2010, 04:10:19 AM

I was writing a "Texas Wing March" a while back...but that project did not come through.  It was gonna be a small brass ensemble.

Texas Wing, eh?

Sort of a cross between Tejano and Bob Wills I imagine... ;D
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

vmstan

After reading the CGAUX March lyrics, ours isn't so bad after all.

I'm going to ask our commander if we can play the march at opening, after the national anthem, next week.
MICHAEL M STANCLIFT, 1st Lt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer, NCR-KS-055, Heartland Squadron

Quote"I wish to compliment NHQ on this extremely well and clearly written regulation.
This publication once and for all should establish the uniform pattern to be followed
throughout Civil Air Patrol."

1949 Uniform and Insignia Committee comment on CAP Reg 35-4

Major Carrales

Quote from: Johnny Yuma on September 22, 2010, 11:46:43 PM

Texas Wing, eh?

With a Mariachi twist...lol  Or maybe TEXAS SWING.  I send my initial works to TUBACAP for FYI.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

dogden

You just need to be able to sing it with a toothpick in your mouth or it won't work!!

Quote from: Major Carrales on September 23, 2010, 04:14:54 AM
Quote from: Johnny Yuma on September 22, 2010, 11:46:43 PM

Texas Wing, eh?

With a Mariachi twist...lol  Or maybe TEXAS SWING.  I send my initial works to TUBACAP for FYI.
David C Ogden, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing, Group IV Commander
GRW#3325

BradM

How about this song for doing parades and drills? From the movie The Battle of Britain.
FYI, its not really a German song. The music begins at 0.31 secs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNVVoH9-QH0
Finance Officer
La Verne, CA

Chappie

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on September 22, 2010, 03:34:10 AM
Thanks for all the replies (It is interest that no mention is made in any of CAP's professional development programs about the song that already exits) --  perhaps since we have a "theme" song already, maybe the song could more of a "tribute" type song with words specifically to CAP's history & programs.   

As far as Bryan Adams' song "Never Let Go", my understanding is that this is a tribute to the Canadian Coast Guard.

Perhaps I'll go forward with a suggestion that the song writer/singer to consider writing something specifically about CAP.    I know her past works haven't really looked at specific organizations, so this would be a different challenge for her.    Maybe she will visit some units to get a better "feel" of CAP and it's members.
RM

It took me awhile to find it...but here are the lyrics to The CAP Hymn:

LORD, GUARD AND GUIDE THE CAP

To the tune of the United States Air Force Hymn ("Lord, Guard and Guide the Men Who Fly").  The lyrics of the USAF Hymn were written in 1915 by Mary C. D. Hamilton to the tune "Hesperus", composed in 1854 by the Englishman Henry Baker (1835-1910). The lyrics of the CAP Hymn were written in 1993 by Chaplain James R. Behrens.

1.  Lord, guard and guide the C-A-P.  Grant them desire to trust in Thee.
     As they strive in their missions thress.  So vigiliant we all may be.

2.  Bless us as we work with our youth.  Help us to teach the ways of trusth.
     Through leadership that we may see the value of our beliefs in Thee.

3.  Be with us as we search the air For persons troubled and despaired.
     Be with us as we serve the needs by loving actions learned through Thee.

4.  Help us to reach the farthest heights in aerospace that's out of sight!
     Help us to know all that can be, Through the efforts of C-A-P.

5.  Be with our loved ones while apart.  Help them to know why we must part.
     Lord, be with us, in all we do.  'Till the whole world learns to trust in You!  AMEN.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: BradM on September 23, 2010, 09:16:49 PM
How about this song for doing parades and drills? From the movie The Battle of Britain.

Not really a German song?  I think that was (and still is) the "Luftwaffe March."

HGjunkie

••• retired
2d Lt USAF

RiverAux

Who says we can't dump this song?  Yes, it is old.  Yes, it may have been "official" at one point or another.  But, it certainly is not near and dear to the hearts of CAP members as are some of the songs for the services.  For better or for worse we've dumped all sorts of stuff CAP life that existed back when that song was written. 

So, I don't think a single person would be terribly offended if a new song was written. 

That being said, I don't think very many people would care if someone did come up with something significantly better.  We really don't have a need for something like that. 

Major Carrales

Quote from: RiverAux on September 25, 2010, 09:13:58 PM
Who says we can't dump this song?  Yes, it is old.  Yes, it may have been "official" at one point or another.  But, it certainly is not near and dear to the hearts of CAP members as are some of the songs for the services.  For better or for worse we've dumped all sorts of stuff CAP life that existed back when that song was written. 

So, I don't think a single person would be terribly offended if a new song was written. 

That being said, I don't think very many people would care if someone did come up with something significantly better.  We really don't have a need for something like that.

If you slowed the tempo down, arranged it where there was a trumpet solo and modernized the counter melodies...it would sound like a different song, yet still be the same.  And only people with a deep hatred for CAP hsitory would have a problem with it.

Someone, send me the sheet music and I may try to do that.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on September 25, 2010, 08:25:07 PM
Quote from: BradM on September 23, 2010, 09:16:49 PM

Not really a German song?  I think that was (and still is) the "Luftwaffe March."

When first published, it was titled 'Luftwaffe March'. It was later renamed the 'Aces High March'. It was actually composed by Ron Goodwin, a British composer. He also composed a similar march for the RAF for the film Battle of Britain.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

BillB

Love the shots of the JU-52 in the opening.  It still has the BMW engines. I got a type rating in the JU-52, but the engines had been changed to Wrights.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

JohnKachenmeister

If you look close on some of the Heinkels, you can see N-numbers.

JohnKachenmeister

CAP OTG has mostly uninspiring lyrics, but

The tune, while dated, ain't too bad.

If Sparky can update the musical arrangement, I think that all the brains we have here can update the lyrics.

The words should keep the "Ready in peace, ready in war..." line, but:

Can we mention SAR/DR with something other than "Protect the living likes of you?"

Can we mention cadet programs and AE specifically, not just a line about air supremacy?

When CAP OTG was written, there was no space program yet...maybe we could mention that.

Also, repeating words just to fill a line is silly and amateurish.  We can do better.

Major Carrales

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on September 26, 2010, 11:17:08 AM

If Sparky can update the musical arrangement, I think that all the brains we have here can update the lyrics.

Can we mention SAR/DR with something other than "Protect the living likes of you?"

Can we mention cadet programs and AE specifically, not just a line about air supremacy?

When CAP OTG was written, there was no space program yet...maybe we could mention that.

Also, repeating words just to fill a line is silly and amateurish.  We can do better.

"Alway, Always, Always on the go"

"Always, ever ready on the go"

Plus we could add...

"You've had you breakfast in bed before,
but you won't have it there any more"    ;D

Commander
SWR-TX-454

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on September 26, 2010, 11:03:17 AM
If you look close on some of the Heinkels, you can see N-numbers.

The He-111s and the Bf-109s used in the film were license-built in Spain for the Ejercito del Aire (Spanish Air Force). They were powered with Rolls-Royce Merlins.

Back on topic...

If Maj C can come up with a revised lyric and tune for the 'CAP song', let's at least give it a listen.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: Major Carrales on September 26, 2010, 05:26:35 PM

Plus we could add...

Nice try.  That's from "This is the Army."

This is the Army Mister Green
We like to keep our barracks nice and clean,
You used to have a maid to scrub your floor,
But you ain't got a maid any more!

HGjunkie

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on September 26, 2010, 10:06:19 PM

Hmm...
This is the C.A.P Mister green
We like to keep our barracks nice and clean
you used to have yo' mama scrub the floor
But you ain't got yo' mama nooo mooooore!

8)
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Major Carrales

Quote from: Major Carrales on September 26, 2010, 05:26:35 PM

Plus we could add...

I knew I could depend on "Smilin' Kach" to know the right lyrics.  Honestly, I tend to combine the "CAP is Always on the GO" and the Irving Berlin song in my mind.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

AirDX

Lt. Col. John Kachenmeister, CAP
Mitchell Award, 1966.
Republic of Vietnam Service, 1969-1970 (Ruled "Inappropriate" by the NLO, 2009).
Gill Robb Wilson Award #2604, 2008.
Declared a "Threat to National Security" by the Secretary of DHS, 2009.
Facing Congressional investigation for opposing the Muslim Victory Mosque at Ground Zero, 2010

And now for something completely off topic: I nominate this for best signature block ever.
Believe in fate, but lean forward where fate can see you.

DakRadz

Quote from: AirDX on September 27, 2010, 02:48:56 AM
Lt. Col. John Kachenmeister, CAP
Mitchell Award, 1966.
Republic of Vietnam Service, 1969-1970 (Ruled "Inappropriate" by the NLO, 2009).
Gill Robb Wilson Award #2604, 2008.
Declared a "Threat to National Security" by the Secretary of DHS, 2009.
Facing Congressional investigation for opposing the Muslim Victory Mosque at Ground Zero, 2010

And now for something completely off topic: I nominate this for best signature block ever.
I missed the latest edition, but outstanding idea!

I second the motion by Capt Python.
The part that I bolded- how do they send those notifications out? ;D

SarDragon

Quote from: HGjunkie on September 27, 2010, 12:21:22 AM

Hmm...
This is the C.A.P Mister green
We like to keep our barracks nice and clean
you used to have yo' mama scrub the floor
But you ain't got yo' mama nooo mooooore!

8)

Look up scansion, as it refers to poetry and music, and you'll see that your lyric has some issues. Nice try, though.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: shorning on September 21, 2010, 10:17:29 AM
Quote from: JC004 on September 21, 2010, 08:38:59 AM

-you do
-we forgot to tell you
-sorry

Your lab tests came back, and I have good news and bad news.

The good news is that the tests show you only have 24 hours to live.

The bad news is that I forgot to call you yesterday!

JC004

Well...I guess that I won't be trying to get any more passes from KSC from you, then - considering that I'll be gone.   :'(

I will also need to work quickly on finding a replacement to annoy Eclipse and some other folks for me.   >:D  Kach - I trust that perhaps you'd be willing to annoy Eclipse for me when I'm gone.

BuckeyeDEJ

"The CAP Is On The Go" sounds like a great jingle for Phillips Milk of Magnesia. Of course, with our skewed age demographic, it might work better for Metamucil, too.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

James Shaw

Sheet music for your pleasure!!
Jim Shaw

Smithsonia

"CAP is always on the Go" is great as an encampment skit, team building exercise, or history lesson as close to hazing as you can get. I will stand up and sing it at the drop of a hat... and I can't sing a note. If you've been to my Military Science lectures then you've experienced a truly dreadful rendition of this anachronistic piece of music. However, it is FUN to sing as long as it is done playfully.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

Angus

I hate to ressurect a dead topic but alas I must.  I'm trying to prep some music for a Military Ball I've got the file off of the NER website.  But I remember finding another one some where that had people singing as well.  Every attempt at Google is leading me back to NER.  Wanted to see if anyone knows where I can find that copy.  Thanks.
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

Eclipse

I've got both the sung and instrumental versions.

PM with an email and I'll send them over.

"That Others May Zoom"

Angus

Quote from: Eclipse on November 07, 2012, 04:00:32 PM
I've got both the sung and instrumental versions.

PM with an email and I'll send them over.

Thanks, PM Sent.
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

okeecap

This was very informative, I think the song was very neat and it really reflects our missions.  Yeah it may be a little cheesy but all the old military hymns are.  I think I am going to make my cadets to learn it and sing it. ;D

SarDragon

[fingers in ears] La-la-la-...[removes fingers]
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

okeecap

SarDragon

Quote from: okeecap on November 19, 2012, 01:16:18 AM
Its It's not really that bad.

FTFY.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that. I've been enduring it much longer than you have.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Shotgun

I saw a link for the instrumental version of CAP on the Go.

Here is the version with words performed by the USAG Singing Sergeants:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3459581/capongov.mp3

krnlpanick

Quote from: Man Of Action on November 19, 2012, 03:50:00 PM
I saw a link for the instrumental version of CAP on the Go.

Here is the version with words performed by the USAG Singing Sergeants:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3459581/capongov.mp3

That version would be a great addition to the Fallout 3 Soundtrack I custom built a while back... None of the songs in my soundtrack were actually from the game, however the playlist was absolutely inspired by the game. Unfortunately I deleted the playlist from my spotify, but I may have a track listing around somewhere.
2nd Lt. Christopher A. Schmidt, CAP

okeecap

CAP on the go with lyrics sounded great going to put it on CD and play it at squadron meetings thanks. ;D ;D

a2capt

Are you trying to decrease attendance so you can become commander? ;)

okeecap

No.  Cadets like that kind of stuff gets them motivated.  And it is catchy ;)

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: okeecap on November 19, 2012, 07:59:36 PM
No.  Cadets like that kind of stuff gets them motivated.  And it is catchy ;)

As a relatively recent WIWAC card carrying member, no they don't.

Garibaldi

Cadets here love making stuff up. Heck, we even did it. We had a bunch of songs we sung on the way to encampment, ftx's, etc. Most are unrepeatable and unprintable here.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things