Main Menu

NB Agenda Sept. 2010

Started by FW, August 07, 2010, 12:46:29 AM

PHall

Quote from: JC004 on August 08, 2010, 06:48:40 AM
These are CAP's most pressing issues of 2010?

According to the Wing and Region Commanders who placed them on the agenda, yes!

JC004

Quote from: PHall on August 08, 2010, 02:47:57 PM
Quote from: JC004 on August 08, 2010, 06:48:40 AM
These are CAP's most pressing issues of 2010?

According to the Wing and Region Commanders who placed them on the agenda, yes!

Wow. 

bosshawk

Looks like SSDD to me.  For those of you who don't know what that means, PM me.  I live in CA and I will be at least 400 miles away from San Diego: I would go further away if I could manage it.  Besides, I have some shoe laces that need dyeing that weekend.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

BillB

I note that Item 9 the selection of NCAC Chair has NO comment from the National Cadet Programs Advisor. Why. The National Legal Officer makes a comment, but no inpt from Cadet Programs. Ned, Why? This and the current CAPR 52-16 puts the Cadet Advisory Council at all levels under the thumb of Senior members. The original CAP Teg on CAC had all positions elected by cadets not appointed by the various Commanders. This policy was in effect until the period of He Whose Name We Do Not mention. The original concept was to allow a means of communications for cadets to higher levels of the organization. Item 9 is poorly thought out.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Eclipse

Quote from: BillB on August 08, 2010, 05:15:50 PM
I note that Item 9 the selection of NCAC Chair has NO comment from the National Cadet Programs Advisor. Why. The National Legal Officer makes a comment, but no inpt from Cadet Programs. Ned, Why? This and the current CAPR 52-16 puts the Cadet Advisory Council at all levels under the thumb of Senior members. The original CAP Teg on CAC had all positions elected by cadets not appointed by the various Commanders. This policy was in effect until the period of He Whose Name We Do Not mention. The original concept was to allow a means of communications for cadets to higher levels of the organization. Item 9 is poorly thought out.

Under the thumb?

The entire purpose of the CAC is to advise the commander of their respective echelon, not necessarily advise higher levels.  They exist for a specific purpose, and are not an autonomous body.

Of course the respective commander has the authority to appoint the chair (vs. being elected).  He also has the option to not appoint one at all.

"That Others May Zoom"

Ned

Quote from: BillB on August 08, 2010, 05:15:50 PM
I note that Item 9 the selection of NCAC Chair has NO comment from the National Cadet Programs Advisor. Why?
The National Legal Officer makes a comment, but no input from Cadet Programs. Ned, Why?
Nothing too mysterious.

It's mostly because I was in Ghana when the AI's came out for comment, and my Blackberry was giving me trouble on top of that.

Never impute a conspiracy when simple logistics is more likely.

QuoteThis and the current CAPR 52-16 puts the Cadet Advisory Council at all levels under the thumb of Senior members. The original CAP Teg on CAC had all positions elected by cadets not appointed by the various Commanders. This policy was in effect until the period of He Whose Name We Do Not mention. The original concept was to allow a means of communications for cadets to higher levels of the organization. Item 9 is poorly thought out.

I don't have a comprehensive history of the CAC organization and function handy, but to my recollection commanders have always had the option of appointing their CAC chair.  After all, the purpose of the CAC has always been to advise the echelon commander.  And commanders have inherent authority to appoint their staff.  I agree that there is a strong tradition of elections within some CACs, and often commanders validate the elections with appointment.  (Heck, I was elected as a wing CAC chair back in the Middle Ages.)

But it is always a commander's signature that goes on the bottom of the form 2A, and always has been.

This proposal is an attempt to bring the NCAC chair selection in line with the other National-level staff jobs.  Like mine, for instance.  I have an advisory role (and some administrative responsibilities, as well), but I wasn't elected by the other region DCPs.  The job came open, and I applied for it, submitting a cover letter and resume like everyone else.  Ultimately I was selected by my boss, the national commander.

The election process carries with it its own baggage.  One need only look at our National Commander election process to see that  - unfortunately - on occasion issues beyond job competence come into play. 

Майор Хаткевич

The last Wing CAC election teleconference I participated in turned into a zoo. After that our unit CC said we're not sending a rep to group or wing.

JC004

WIWAC and became wing vice chair (through some conspiring of parties who wanted me there...I didn't run), I got elected, then FW signed a 2A appointing me.  So that's both.  The elections always seemed to function as a nomination WIWAC. 

FW, of course, did this before he knew I was a troublemaker because I ask a lot of questions and I want answers to them.  Many folks have discovered that when I devote years of my life, thousands of hours, and tons of money to something, I want to know what is being done with that investment.  I'm funny like that.  Some don't think it's so funny.  Oh well.

DogCollar

Quote from: Patterson on August 08, 2010, 02:35:22 AMItem 22:   CAP Chaplain Qualifications
Wow....the chaplains that shot this down sound like a bunch of good ol' boys, with doctorate degrees who don't want to share the title.  I could give a crap if we support the AF Chaplain Corps.  How about supporting CAP members first.  If they know degrees can be bought online for $35.00, then kick out members who try to use those $35.00 degrees for advanced promotions and entrance into the Chaplain Corps.

I applaud the Chaplain Corps for an unwillingness to water down the chaplain qualifications!!  Chaplains ARE primarily available for CAP members.  That will always be the priority focus.  Yet, some chaplains are also available to assist the Air Force when called upon and this does not distract in anyway, shape or form from the primary focus.
Ch. Maj. Bill Boldin, CAP

Mustang

Item 9 scares me as it has the potential to prolong Chairman King's reign.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

SarDragon

Quote from: Mustang on August 10, 2010, 03:22:23 AM
Birthday: October 9, 1989

He ages out in two months.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Patterson

Quote from: DogCollar on August 09, 2010, 06:10:09 PM
Quote from: Patterson on August 08, 2010, 02:35:22 AMItem 22:   CAP Chaplain Qualifications
Wow....the chaplains that shot this down sound like a bunch of good ol' boys, with doctorate degrees who don't want to share the title.  I could give a crap if we support the AF Chaplain Corps.  How about supporting CAP members first.  If they know degrees can be bought online for $35.00, then kick out members who try to use those $35.00 degrees for advanced promotions and entrance into the Chaplain Corps.

I applaud the Chaplain Corps for an unwillingness to water down the chaplain qualifications!!  Chaplains ARE primarily available for CAP members.  That will always be the priority focus.  Yet, some chaplains are also available to assist the Air Force when called upon and this does not distract in anyway, shape or form from the primary focus.

I am guessing that you have recruited many Chaplains, and each went through the vetting process without any problems??

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: SarDragon on August 10, 2010, 03:32:15 AM

Glory to age limits!

Mustang

Thank the Flying Spaghetti Monster.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

JC004

The question is...does that mean the end of the weeeeeeird stuff the NCAC is doing or does it continue?  *dramatic music plays*

DogCollar

Quote from: Patterson on August 10, 2010, 04:32:01 AM

I am guessing that you have recruited many Chaplains, and each went through the vetting process without any problems??

Have you?

The recruiting and retention of Chaplains has nothing to do with the vetting process, but everything to do with the problem of recruting and retaining ANY member to CAP.  Those issues are the time commitment expected, and not knowing what CAP is all about.  I believe that the vetting process for CAP Chaplains, while necessarily rigorous, is something that should be expected by all clergy who wish to volunteer in a service organization that involves working with children.

cap235629

Quote from: DogCollar on August 10, 2010, 12:23:51 PM

Have you?

The recruiting and retention of Chaplains has nothing to do with the vetting process, but everything to do with the problem of recruting and retaining ANY member to CAP.  Those issues are the time commitment expected, and not knowing what CAP is all about.  I believe that the vetting process for CAP Chaplains, while necessarily rigorous, is something that should be expected by all clergy who wish to volunteer in a service organization that involves working with children.

And they should be subject to more scrutiny why? I am Catholic. One of our Deacon's who is involved in FULL TIME ministry does not meet your criteria because his training was conducted by the diocese. He has been in active ministry for about 5 years. I mean 40 plus hours a week. Because he does not have a degree, he wouldn't make the cut, but a part time minister of a 20 person community church who went Bible College does.  Something stinks here......
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

DogCollar

Quote from: cap235629 on August 10, 2010, 01:13:39 PM
Quote from: DogCollar on August 10, 2010, 12:23:51 PM

Have you?

And they should be subject to more scrutiny why? I am Catholic. One of our Deacon's who is involved in FULL TIME ministry does not meet your criteria because his training was conducted by the diocese. He has been in active ministry for about 5 years. I mean 40 plus hours a week. Because he does not have a degree, he wouldn't make the cut, but a part time minister of a 20 person community church who went Bible College does.  Something stinks here......

Because a Chaplain is the only person in CAP who is allowed to be alone, one on one, with a cadet.  However, CAP is not alone in these requirements.  I once looked into volunteering as a chaplain for our local police department and the hoops are pretty much the same as CAP's.  The same is for volunteer chaplains in healthcare, which is the industry in which I work.  It is just plain difficult for clergy to volunteer for ministerial roles in this society.  I have come to learn to expect it.

Eclipse

Quote from: DogCollar on August 10, 2010, 02:01:42 PM
Because a Chaplain is the only person in CAP who is allowed to be alone, one on one, with a cadet.

100% incorrect.  Time to review your CPPT regs.

"That Others May Zoom"

cap235629

Quote from: Eclipse on August 10, 2010, 02:19:51 PM
Quote from: DogCollar on August 10, 2010, 02:01:42 PM
Because a Chaplain is the only person in CAP who is allowed to be alone, one on one, with a cadet.

100% incorrect.  Time to review your CPPT regs.
beat me to it! Also, you still haven't addressed my Deacon example. In my wing there is not 1 Catholic Chaplain. There just aren't enough Priests. I have tried repeatedly to recruit some. As a Catholic I and many others just don't feel comfortable with a Chaplain who isn't Catholic.
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé