Main Menu

Unit IT Lesson

Started by ChRansom, March 22, 2010, 01:09:12 AM

ChRansom

What ideas does anyone have about the Unit Lesson in the ITO specialty track? 

coudano

I've done a walk-through of the functions in e-services.
Get an "average joe" member (like a cadet) to log in

Then click through the various links and functions with it up on a projector.

Spaceman3750

One idea is computer security. Especially important to think about with OPSEC and such. You would be surprised how many people aren't properly protected, but you would have to find a way to jazz it up.

Or perhaps spend some time having an open discussion about online privacy and the issues pertaining to it (just about every cadet, many seniors, and their dog has a Facebook or other social networking profile). Help them to realize why having too many personal details online can be a bad thing.

Does the requirement stipulate that your lesson must be directly related to CAP?

Seabee219

If I am correct there was a mother in the state of Arizona that got on the Wing website and downloaded some wing forms and forged everyhing to show her son a member for the courts probation dept. 

If OPSEC comes into play I think the we need to make sure that our forms can not be gotten to that easy. Any non-member can pull any reg, pamphlet, or form they want.   I think that we need to have a log in to get to the forms? What do you think??????
CAP Capt, Retired US Navy Seabee.
  MRO, MS, MO, UDF, GT3, MSA, CUL
1. Lead by example, and take care of your people

davidsinn

Quote from: Seabee219 on March 22, 2010, 02:40:48 PM
  If I am correct there was a mother in the state of Arizona that got on the Wing website and downloaded some wing forms and forged everyhing to show her son a member for the courts probation dept. 

If OPSEC comes into play I think the we need to make sure that our forms can not be gotten to that easy. Any non-member can pull any reg, pamphlet, or form they want.   I think that we need to have a log in to get to the forms? What do you think? ??? ??

Sounds like a failure of the court to me. The judge should have required some more proof. I think it is better to have our stuff out there.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

ChRansom

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on March 22, 2010, 03:42:10 AM
One idea is computer security. Especially important to think about with OPSEC and such. You would be surprised how many people aren't properly protected, but you would have to find a way to jazz it up.

Or perhaps spend some time having an open discussion about online privacy and the issues pertaining to it (just about every cadet, many seniors, and their dog has a Facebook or other social networking profile). Help them to realize why having too many personal details online can be a bad thing.

Does the requirement stipulate that your lesson must be directly related to CAP?

It's not a requirement that it relate specifically to CAP, and this would be a great way to discuss OPSEC and FACEBOOK together (that does sound just a bit creepy, or is it just me?)

ChRansom

Quote from: coudano on March 22, 2010, 03:18:52 AM
I've done a walk-through of the functions in e-services.
Get an "average joe" member (like a cadet) to log in

Then click through the various links and functions with it up on a projector.

I really like the idea of getting the cadets involved.  This will work, thanks.

A.Member

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on March 22, 2010, 03:42:10 AM

This!

There are a lot of people that do not protect their personal data or their systems and don't know how to protect them.   These same people get viruses that are propagated via the CAP e-mail lists.  Start with a basic lesson of what security is, then show them how and where to acquire the tools to protect their systems.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

EMT-83

How about phishing? I've been getting slammed lately with requests for personal and credit card info. Some of the messages look pretty good, with accurate logo use from legitimate companies, while others are more obviously fake.