NASA to Blast Dummy Astronaut with Deadly Radiation

Started by freeflight, June 04, 2009, 08:17:33 PM

freeflight

A real dummy packed with bone and blood cells will endure an intense radiation shower that simulates a solar flare — all in the name of space exploration.

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/090604-dummy-solar-flare.html

Spike

^That is neat, but a major waste of money.  We already know what this type of radiation does to human tissue........it is used in certain radiation protocols to destroy tumors. 

I also believe it was investigated in the 1960's, during the prep to go to the moon.   

Always Ready

^Can you prove that we actually went to the moon???  >:D Just kidding...

Cool idea. It might shed some more light on the subject. Technology has changed quite a bit from the 1960s medically speaking. Maybe we will learn something new.

Eclipse

We already know what happens when a solar flare's radiation passes through human tissue.

I'll take the flame powers as my first choice, but the stretchy deal would be cool, too.

"That Others May Zoom"

M.S.

Word on the street is that they were originally looking for CAP VSAF volunteers for the project...   >:D

BTCS1*

But then they just decided on using a few cadets! ;P
C/2d Lt. B. Garelick, CAP

Gunner C

Quote from: M.S. on June 05, 2009, 03:52:14 AM
Word on the street is that they were originally looking for CAP VSAF volunteers for the project...   >:D
Sounds like a job for a Marine (quickly ducking into my underground bunker!)  ;D

There was a great deal of research that was done in the 1960s that has, frankly, been either lost or forgotten.  NASA hasn't been the best at archiving engineering and medical data from Mercury to Apollo.  It's a shame:  we're obligated to relearn a great deal going back to the moon and beyond.

Flying Pig