Main Menu

From MSNBC

Started by flyerthom, July 29, 2008, 05:46:32 PM

flyerthom

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25851741/displaymode/1107/s/2/framenumber/1/
Color photos of the Korean War.
Includes a photo believed to be Ted William's Corsair crash.
TC

NIN

Having been to a few of the places featured in those photos, it amazes me how I can look at the B&W photos from the war and go "Oh, hmm, yeah... Korea.." but color photos and I got "Hey, wow, look the Han estuary in the background!" or something else recognizeable.

Weird.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

mikeylikey

I like the last photo with the armistice documents that "ended the war".  The war is not over.  It is still being fought, and to say it is over, is probably due to the fact that many do not have the opportunity to go stand on the parallel.

I love Korea......and Korean food btw!  Kimchi is by far the best Cabbage product ever created!

What's up monkeys?

NIN

Consider that "the parallel" is no longer the border, and hasn't been since 1953....

The 38th Parallel was the original dividing line between the Russian-administered zone & the American one, however, following the armistice of 1953, both sides (the UN & the DPRK) each pulled back 2000m from the "Main Line of Resistance" to form the "demilitarized zone". 

Mind you, its been almost 20 years since I last visited myself upon the Joint Security Area and was lucky enough to actually stand IN North Korea, so my remembery of the mechanics of the "back away from the line" process as delivered by a rather staccato-sounding SSG from the JSA security battalion in the little theater on Camp Bonifas is a little, well, old..

Strangely enough, the 38th Parallel cuts the MDL (Military Demarcation Line, formerly the MLR, but now sort of the "centerline" of the DMZ) only about 8 miles west of Panmunjom.   To the west of PMJ the DMZ proceeds south of the 38th Parallel, while to the east it actually goes quite a bit north on its way to the Sea of Japan.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

For those of us who will never have an opportunity to see this kind of thing in person, National Geographic has an excellent DVD wth a lot of good footage of the DMZ, the negotiation building, and an area right at the line called the Joint Security Area where messages are passed:

http://www.amazon.com/National-Geographic-Inside-North-Korea/dp/B000M2E34K

Wiki, as always, has a great article, including photos of the JSA:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_Demilitarized_Zone

"...The Joint Security Area (JSA) or Panmunjeom, often called the "Truce Village" in both the media[1][2] and various military accounts[3], is the only portion of the Korean Demilitarized Zone (DMZ) where South and North Korean forces stand face-to-face. The section is reserved between the two Koreas for diplomatic engagements, and until March 1991 was also the site of military negotiations between North Korea and the United Nations Command (UNC). The Joint Security Area is located at [show location on an interactive map] 37°57′21.60″N, 126°40′36.50″E [1] lying within the village of Panmunjeom..."

"That Others May Zoom"

DC

Definately the only color images I have ever seen of Korea (I don't think M*A*S*H counts  ::)).

Really adds a new dimension to the imagery, some how much more real.

bosshawk

Interesting photos.  The small blue buildings are the same ones that I walked through in 1963, when I was stationed in Korea.  Probably the same inside, too.

Several of you are correct: the war isn't over and never has been.  I had the unpleasant experience of being shot at by the North, using 57mm AAA while taking photos from an OV-1 Mohawk along the central part of the DMZ.  Two Army Capts in the cockpit: you can imagine the verbal response to seeing the AAA bursting off our left wing.

Service in Korea was not fun.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Trung Si Ma

When I owned the Western Corridor COLTs, we had several prominent features (remember the flag pole and the statue?) as reference points.

For some of you "old timers" (particularly the "Merry Mad Monks") - UFL (Ulchi Focus Lens) is now UFG (Ulchi Focus Guardian).

USFK is still moving everything to Camp Humphries and shortly Camps Casey, Hovey, and Red Cloud will be ROK compounds.  Yonsong will continue to shrink until it is basically the Dragon Hill Lodge and the UN Living Quarters.
Freedom isn't free - I paid for it

NIN

Quote from: Trung Si Ma on July 30, 2008, 02:54:24 AM
When I owned the Western Corridor COLTs, we had several prominent features (remember the flag pole and the statue?) as reference points.

For some of you "old timers" (particularly the "Merry Mad Monks") - UFL (Ulchi Focus Lens) is now UFG (Ulchi Focus Guardian).

USFK is still moving everything to Camp Humphries and shortly Camps Casey, Hovey, and Red Cloud will be ROK compounds.  Yonsong will continue to shrink until it is basically the Dragon Hill Lodge and the UN Living Quarters.

I know, what a bummer.

They inactivated my old unit at the Hump and now there is just a Chinook company for the whole darn country.  I spent a LOT of time up north in the TACZONE doing ROK hauls, NFLs (No-Fly Line orientations), various US AMTs, P-73 orientations (P-73 is the prohibited area around Seoul, like the DC ADIZ + Prohibited Area), arty raids with the ROKs (we could haul their little 105s, but US 155s were verboten), medivac standbys, Team Stupid, UFL, Foal Eagle, etc.

IIRC, the 2nd Division isn't going to to move to Humphreys, so where are they gonna put those guys?

If you ever get a chance to go to Korea, do it.  Seriously. Its an incredible place to visit.  And the Panmunjom tour is pretty darn neat.  To stand in the other end of one of those blue buildings, across the border in North Korea,  and look out the windows at the DPRK guards looking in at you, a few inches away, well, that's a really *interesting* experience.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Trung Si Ma

Quote from: NIN on July 30, 2008, 11:55:03 AM
IIRC, the 2nd Division isn't going to to move to Humphreys, so where are they gonna put those guys?

Last I heard, the colors are coming home and we're leaving a Fires Bde and an Enhanced Aviation Bde (think of 6 CAB and 2ID's Avn Bde combined).
Freedom isn't free - I paid for it

NIN

Quote from: Trung Si Ma on July 30, 2008, 12:06:26 PM
Quote from: NIN on July 30, 2008, 11:55:03 AM

Last I heard, the colors are coming home and we're leaving a Fires Bde and an Enhanced Aviation Bde (think of 6 CAB and 2ID's Avn Bde combined).

Yeah, the whole "Enhanced Aviation Brigade" thing always annoyed me >:(  I was still there when the 17th Avn Bde was our parent command ("Freedom's Eagles" baby!) and we were an Army-level asset.  Made Team Spirit a lot more fun to fly for both sides plus the O/Cs just by changing the color of the card in the window of the aircraft. :)

I missed the arrival of the Apaches, etc.  Hell, we still had C-model Chinooks then (hence the reason why we couldn't haul M-198s..)

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

MIKE

Mike Johnston

PHall

MIKE

This ain't CS PHall... Don't push it.
Mike Johnston

NIN

From MSNBC's slideshow of color Korean War era photos to "hey, that's exactly what it looks like, way better than the B&W photos you normally see" to "Nice armistice photos" to "Well it ain't exactly the 38th parallel anymore" to "Its an interesting place to visit.."  is a bit of a drift.

But then, its in the Aerospace forum.  And the original connection to aerospace was.. a photo that *may* have been Ted Williams' Corsair.

While it did drift, I submit to you that it didn't exactly start out with a very clear intent, either.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

cnitas

The Corsair was a nice plane.  Too bad there are not more around today.  I would love to fly in one.
Mark A. Piersall, Lt Col, CAP
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

flyerthom

Quote from: NIN on July 30, 2008, 04:38:58 PM
From MSNBC's slideshow of color Korean War era photos to "hey, that's exactly what it looks like, way better than the B&W photos you normally see" to "Nice armistice photos" to "Well it ain't exactly the 38th parallel anymore" to "Its an interesting place to visit.."  is a bit of a drift.

But then, its in the Aerospace forum.  And the original connection to aerospace was.. a photo that *may* have been Ted Williams' Corsair.

While it did drift, I submit to you that it didn't exactly start out with a very clear intent, either.

It's also a mistake on MSNBC. Williams was a Corsair IP in WW II. In Korea he flew the Panther Jet and that what he was flying when he was shot up.

Ted Williams Official site

Guess I did learn something from this thread.  Tags and spacing - MIKE
TC