Main Menu

Rocket Cars.

Started by TEAM SURGE, May 02, 2008, 01:56:13 AM

TEAM SURGE

My squadron recently have been building and testing rocket cars. Pretty fun to make. If you have any to show load some pictures up here! Lets see what you have made!
C/Msgt. Messman
PCR OR-114
Northwest Coastal Flight

-Eagle Talon 3
-Cascade Falcon X

"You only Live Once"  

Pylon

Interesting.  What kind of propulsion do your rocket cars use? 
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

RiverAux

Be sure to fill out the Form 73 prior to each use!

Psicorp

And keep the CAPF 78's handy.
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

SARMedTech

Quote from: Pylon on May 02, 2008, 02:36:05 AM

Perhaps they are burning discarded uniform variations. That should keep them in fuel for decades.
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

Eagle400

Wait?  

Rocket cars = DANGEROUS LIABILITY, but Flugtag = SAFE???

WTF!?!  ???

You're going to have to be really creative to explain this one, Pylon.

For those of you who don't know what a Flugtag is: http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=1562.0

♠SARKID♠

^Please don't tell me you think that they are launching full sized cars.

Post some design pics Surge

Pylon

Quote from: CCSE on May 03, 2008, 12:59:52 AM

Wait?   

Rocket cars = DANGEROUS LIABILITY, but Flugtag = SAFE???

WTF!?!  ???

You're going to have to be really creative to explain this one, Pylon.

For those of you who don't know what a Flugtag is: http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=1562.0

I'm not sure what you're smoking.  Must be good.

I was going to hazard a guess that the "rocket" cars might use model rocket engines. That, my friend, would be a violation of the National Association of Rocketry safety code.

Quote...I will launch my rocket from a launch rod, tower, or rail that is pointed to within 30 degrees of the vertical to ensure that the rocket flies nearly straight up...

You know... those people seem to know their stuff and probably thought of those rules for a reason.

I asked to find out before accusing.  Perhaps their "rocket" cars were much like the fizzy rockets in the AEX activity book, which uses alka seltzer, or perhaps they used rubber band power or other safe means, etc. 

And if you read my post in the thread you linked to, I suggested participating in Flugtag would be a dangerous liability, too. 

:-*
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Eagle400

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on May 03, 2008, 04:58:06 AM
^Please don't tell me you think that they are launching full sized cars.

Post some design pics Surge

That is what I thought, actually.  And it's legitimate because the type of rocket cars being used was never described.

As far as Pylon goes... if there is a herb that causes the user to have inflexible bias against certain people, he's definitely smoking it.

♠SARKID♠

QuotePerhaps their "rocket" cars were much like the fizzy rockets in the AEX activity book, which uses alka seltzer, or perhaps they used rubber band power or other safe means, etc.

Way back in middle school shop class we made cars that ran on a small CO2 cartridge.  An arm fell and punched a hole in the tip and the car went off like a shot.  It ran on a line to keep it safe, and the CO2 cartridges were purpose designed for that use.

RiverAux

For the record I knew what he was talking about and was joking about a form 73....jeez.

TEAM SURGE

These cars are expiermental we use anything that is "SAFE" and that can make a car go. o we do not use full size cars haha....just home made rockets with any kind of of motor, that is "SAFE"
C/Msgt. Messman
PCR OR-114
Northwest Coastal Flight

-Eagle Talon 3
-Cascade Falcon X

"You only Live Once"  

CadetProgramGuy

From the Estes Roecetry website:

Estes Rocket Powered Racers
Product Number: 9114
The excitement of rocketry in a car! Estes rocket powered racers rocket down a tethered race line at scale speeds close to the speed of sound! Secured to 90 feet (24.4 m) of track, the racers operate on any smooth stretch of asphalt or concrete. Powered by a special Estes rocket fuel engine, these speed machines are started by an electronic starter and stopped at the end of the track by a parachute brake system. Entire racetrack sets up in minutes and packs up into its own carrying case.

Length: 14 in. (35.6 cm)

Recommended Engines: Estes Racer Engine (A10-PT)