Main Menu

Rocketry Activity

Started by arajca, March 01, 2007, 10:31:25 PM

arajca

I am in the process of planning a Rocketry Activity. The rough plan is to give the cadets the materials to study ahead of time, spend the morning reviewing and testing on the three stages, and after lunch, do the Redstone projects. To help offset some of the costs for the Titan stage, I have applied for a grant to fund the simple rocket portion of the hands-on work and my squadron has agreed to help fund the scale portion by reimbursing up to $20.00 (depending of unit finances) toward the cost of the rocket after the scale portion has been completed.

I've already developed the classroom materials, including powerpoints and dicsussion questions.

Has anyone else done something like this?

mprokosch11

Our squadron does the same thing every year, but we space out the tests and projects over a couple of months. It takes us usually 2 months to complete the entire thing for the rocketry patch.
C/Capt Matthew A. Prokosch, CAP
New York Wing
Utica Cadet Squadron (NER-NY-162)

arajca

Still planning the activity, but I received a grant for $200.00 for the activity.

Fifinella

Quote from: arajca on April 03, 2007, 10:38:55 PM
Still planning the activity, but I received a grant for $200.00 for the activity.
Great!  Don't know if you can take advantage of the DDR program where you are, but if so, you can also order model rocketry kits from the DDR catalog, http://level2.cap.gov/visitors/programs/drug_demand_reduction/ddr_catalog/, and all you pay for is shipping (order goes through your wing DDR officer).
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

DC

Quote from: Fifinella on April 04, 2007, 04:24:29 AM
Quote from: arajca on April 03, 2007, 10:38:55 PM
Great!  Don't know if you can take advantage of the DDR program where you are, but if so, you can also order model rocketry kits from the DDR catalog, http://level2.cap.gov/visitors/programs/drug_demand_reduction/ddr_catalog/, and all you pay for is shipping (order goes through your wing DDR officer).
Not to ressurect a hugely old thread, but has anyone ordered the rockets through the DDR catalog? How long does it take to recieve them?

IceNine

I'm sure glad to opened this thing back up.

To me this is a thread that deserves a sticky.  I have been looking for ways to get my units rockets for quite a while now.

"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Capt Rivera

Quote from: IceNine on July 28, 2008, 07:27:41 PM
I'm sure glad to opened this thing back up.

To me this is a thread that deserves a sticky.  I have been looking for ways to get my units rockets for quite a while now.

ditto
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org

arajca

The problem with ordering rockets through the DDR program is cadets can't get them. They're for community out reach, not cadets MR badges.

DC

Cite? Please... If so, does National actually check to see how they are used after being ordered?

arajca

Quote from: CAPR 51-1 Drug Demand Reduction Program
9) Model Rocketry supplies/materials and similar type products used in DDR community outreach sessions to expand knowledge on both DDR and aerospace between CAP members and the community. This is not to supplement the normal model rocketry training.

As to if National check to see how they were used, I'd call the an Integrity issue. And you are required to fill out an after action report detailing how the funds were expended.

DC

Quote from: arajca on August 25, 2008, 09:20:37 PM
Quote from: CAPR 51-1 Drug Demand Reduction Program
9) Model Rocketry supplies/materials and similar type products used in DDR community outreach sessions to expand knowledge on both DDR and aerospace between CAP members and the community. This is not to supplement the normal model rocketry training.

As to if National check to see how they were used, I'd call the an Integrity issue. And you are required to fill out an after action report detailing how the funds were expended.
Figures... Not like national can lift a finger to help out squadrons finacially with cadet programs...

Thanks for the cite.

arajca

Actually, the DDR money comes straight from the AF through a separate grant. The AF set the restrictions. Contact your wing DDRO for details...