l
Assistant Emergency Service Officer
                   l
                   l
                   l
          Alert Officer  ???
|GES|SET|BCUT|ICUT|FLM|FLS*|MS|CD|MRO*|AP|IS-100|IS-200|IS-700|IS-800|

(Cadet 2008-2012)

Air•plane / [air-pleyn] / (ar'plan')-Massive winged machines that magically propel them selfs through the sky.

Extremepredjudice

Alert officer is in charge of alerting SAR qualified people.

Usually via phone, email, or text.

:-X
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

SarDragon

Quote from: usafcap1 on April 02, 2012, 06:50:40 AM
Whats an Alert Officer?

Emergency Services Director Officer
                   l
                   l
                   l
Assistant Emergency Services Officer
                   l
                   l
                   l
Assistant Emergency Service Officer
                   l
                   l
                   l
          Alert Officer  ???

LMFTFY. Directors exist only at the wing level. Also, the Alerting Officer can work for the ESO, or Ops Officer. It depends entirely on how the unit wants to do it.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Short Field

In some wings, the Alert Officer is the initial unit contact for incident support.  They are responsible for contacting unit members to fill the manpower needs.   The WMU has the ability to only contact Alert Officers in designated units.

Some squadrons designate the Squadron Commander, Ops Officer, and ES Officer as squadron Alert Officers.  The key is designating someone who is available and capable to contact the rest of the squadron at any time.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

coudano

in my experience, the alerting officer is the person who gets skipped in the call out process,
as IC's don't deploy whole units, they deploy individual crews, they will call the qualified crew commanders directly.

likewise, the wing's alerting structure is usually to a cell phone or pager that rotates around qualified IC's.

therefore, it is generally speaking, an empty position.
we can't even always get the squadron commander notified, when members of their squadron get called out;  usually the IC calls a pilot or gtl, and then we back-fill the squadron (and group) commanders after the ball is rolling (provided that those people weren't on the initial crew call up anyway, which usually they were...)

bflynn

Just thinking that description through - it makes perfect sense to me.  I presume the IC would call a list of pilots that he knows first.  That probably contributes to the sense of the GOB network being in place at CAP.  The first I usually find out about a mission is an AAR saying it's over and they did a good job. 

ol'fido

Be alert. CAP needs more lerts. >:D
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Private Investigator

Every Wing does it different.

A small Wing gets a call from AFRCC and its an ELT out by Petticoat Junction. They know they can call Tom, Dick or maybe Harry and check it out.

A large Wing gets a call and it is 500+ miles from the nearest Squadron. They should be calling for resources and not just Bo Bob and Junior.

The IC should call the Alerting Officer in that area and get resources.

On a sidebar, when I was a Squadron Commander with a plane. I had a duty list of volunteers. I volunteered to be MP on the 2nd and a mission is iniated I know I am the MP and I know who the MO and MS is already. A mission starts at 1800, we are wheels up at 1830.  Other Squadrons are "flying clubs" and just don't do missions.   

Spaceman3750

Quote from: bflynn on April 02, 2012, 08:17:20 PM
Just thinking that description through - it makes perfect sense to me.  I presume the IC would call a list of pilots that he knows first.  That probably contributes to the sense of the GOB network being in place at CAP.  The first I usually find out about a mission is an AAR saying it's over and they did a good job.

Go to more SAREXs. If you got qual'ed 2 years ago and then went back into your hidey-hole you won't get called. ES happens at the wing level so make sure you're visible there.

usafcap1

;D thanks this info helps
|GES|SET|BCUT|ICUT|FLM|FLS*|MS|CD|MRO*|AP|IS-100|IS-200|IS-700|IS-800|

(Cadet 2008-2012)

Air•plane / [air-pleyn] / (ar'plan')-Massive winged machines that magically propel them selfs through the sky.

Ed Bos

Alert Officers can be appointed at the Wing and Unit Levels. They're the ones who get the call for an ES mission.

More information can be found in the 60-3 and http://www.capmembers.com/emergency_services/operations_support/alerting-systems-and-procedures/.
EDWARD A. BOS, Lt Col, CAP
Email: edward.bos(at)orwgcap.org
PCR-OR-001

Short Field

In my wing, the on-call IC gets the call for the mission from AFRCC and then respond depending on the situation.  If they need a crew ASAP, they contact the alert officer for the squadron that manages the aircraft they intend to launch.  More time...it goes on the wing wide ES paging system.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640