EFJ/Tait software in Win7?

Started by wuzafuzz, August 14, 2010, 02:31:22 AM

wuzafuzz

Does anyone know if the software for programming our EFJ and Tait radios will work in Windows 7 64 bit?  My guess is they might run but won't successfully talk to the hardware.
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

SarDragon

It depends on which version you have, as to which OS it will work with. One version I have only works in DOD through Win2K. Another works in WinXP, but needs a dedicated serial port. A third also works in WinXP, and seems to work witn a USB-serial adapter, but I have not had the opportunity to fully test it.

The 64-bit thing could be a problem. I have several older apps that don't work on my 64-bit version of Win7. I haven't tried to load my EFJ program yet, since my laptop does just fine in that arena.

YMMV.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

wuzafuzz

EFJ PC Configure v1.28.0.8

Tait  T2000 Conventional Programming Application 2.0.3

Both are running fine in WinXP SP3.  As soon as I try this in Win7 Pro I'll post results.  Might work in XP mode, but the 64 bit hardware drivers might torpedo the effort.  Not a big deal because I have two other computers for programming radios.  More of a curiosity than anything, for now. 

Edited to correct a brain dead sentence.   ???

SarDragon

Do you have a "real" serial port available, or are you using a USB adapter?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

CAP.is.1337

I've run the EFJ 1.28.0.8 software on a Vista 64-bit computer with USB-to-Serial adapter just to see if it worked.

YMMV. An older computer that can run XP are a dime a dozen these days, and back then they all came with serial ports.
1st Lt Anthony Rinaldi
Byrd Field Composite Squadron – Virginia Wing

Earhart Award: 14753
Mitchell Award: 55897
Wright Bros Award: 3634

SarDragon

I've had comm guys in my area tell me not to use the USB adapters, but it appears that theirs are older ones that do not work with the EFJ software. I'm still gathering all the bits needed to test it with XP and Win7.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Thom

Quote from: SarDragon on August 20, 2010, 04:36:13 AM
I've had comm guys in my area tell me not to use the USB adapters, but it appears that theirs are older ones that do not work with the EFJ software. I'm still gathering all the bits needed to test it with XP and Win7.

I don't have the EFJ software so I can't verify that this adapter is compatible, but I will note that the link I'm posting below is the ONLY brand and model of USB-to-Serial adapter that anyone I know in the IT field uses these days, precisely because of its wide compatibility and driver support for Windows 7 64-bit.  I've seen it in use by LONI (my organization), Time Warner TeleCom, Cisco, EXFO, and Level3 among others. It isn't the cheapest adapter, but neither is it unusually pricey, and it works flawlessly with everything we've tried to communicate with.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812999081&Tpk=keyspan%20serial%20usb

That includes starting serial Console sessions to Cisco boxes, which are usually pretty picky about USB-to-Serial adapters.

Hope that helps.

Thom

arajca

The only one I found that consistantly works is the Gigaware USB-Serial cable adapter from Radio Shack. I've had inconsistant results with TWO of the keyspans - at times working on radio A, not on B, then not on A. The only change was the radio (both of the same type and version).

Thom

Quote from: arajca on August 20, 2010, 01:29:22 PM
The only one I found that consistantly works is the Gigaware USB-Serial cable adapter from Radio Shack. I've had inconsistant results with TWO of the keyspans - at times working on radio A, not on B, then not on A. The only change was the radio (both of the same type and version).

Interesting.

As I said, the Keyspans are pervasive in the higher-end IT world, in fact I don't think I've ever heard a single instance where they didn't work.  Far more common is where they fix an issue of another brand of adapter failing to connect.

I'm left to wonder if the Radio and IT worlds might 'interpret' the Serial Data standards differently...

It wouldn't be the first time that IT took preexisting standards and either tweaked them or just ran to one or the other side of the tolerances. (Or did the Radio guys steal the Serial standards from the IT guys and then diverge???)

As a wild guess I would say that the IT gear and Radio gear might operate at the far opposite ends of the allowable range of signaling voltages, as well as possible ground potential differences.

If the Gigaware works reliably on Radios, then I'd take that recommendation for that purpose.  I stand by the Keyspans for all IT gear.

I'll have to go track down a guy I know at ExxonMobil who is BOTH a Ham and an IT guy, he might know what the differences could be...guy knows a LOT.

Thom

wuzafuzz

I finally installed the EFJ and Tait software on my Win7 Pro (64 bit) box.  The software seems to run just fine, opening, changing, and saving codeplug files without trouble.  The speed bump so far: my handy Belkin USB to serial adapter is too old for 64 bit drivers.  Too bad, it's an oldie but goodie, being an old USB 1.0 device.  Sometimes I wonder if the slower speed of USB 1.0 has contributed to its success where newer adapters have failed.  Depends on the radio and interface boxes too I imagine.

I'll check out the adapters mentioned above, although I might install a PCI serial port card. 

Incidentally, I've seen that USB adapter work with radios that failed when using a real serial port.  Even with radios and software that warn against using USB to serial adapters.

Although I have a few other WinXP computers I can use for radios, making this fly in Win7 64 bit is a fun project.  These XP boxes won't last forever.   :'(

arajca

Quote from: wuzafuzz on August 20, 2010, 02:05:10 PM
Although I have a few other WinXP computers I can use for radios, making this fly in Win7 64 bit is a fun project.  These XP boxes won't last forever.   :'(
I don't know about that. I know a few folks who are still using Win95. Although they do complain about Office 2007 not running on their computer. At which time I Gibbs-smack them.

Eclipse

XP has a long life ahead of it - probably the first and last Time MS got something close to "right" without a lot of fancy nonsense on it.

As to the adapter, why on earth are we still using serial ports in 2010?  I understand if you are trying to extend the use of a boat anchor like a Tait, but the current-generation EFJ's should be native USB for programming, as should certainly anything coming out of Cisco or similar companies.

"That Others May Zoom"

wuzafuzz

Quote from: Eclipse on August 20, 2010, 02:29:27 PM
XP has a long life ahead of it - probably the first and last Time MS got something close to "right" without a lot of fancy nonsense on it.

As to the adapter, why on earth are we still using serial ports in 2010?  I understand if you are trying to extend the use of a boat anchor like a Tait, but the current-generation EFJ's should be native USB for programming, as should certainly anything coming out of Cisco or similar companies.
It's true XP has plenty of life left in it, heck I had a DOS 6.22 box until last year!  However, I've had 2 XP boxes die a sudden death in the last 6 months.  Hardware problems, not OS, but same result.  Used computers are easy to find right now, but at some point reliability becomes an issue.  Granted, I could build another computer with new parts and install XP...if I want. 

As for serial ports...almost all my radios program via serial port, not just the oldie moldies.  CAP provides us with serial interfaces for the EFJ's; I have no idea if USB cables are available.  Some of my newer non-CAP radios can program via USB cable, but I suspect they are converting to serial communication within the cable.  Whether radio manufacturers could easily design for direct USB communications is a question for them, and their price points.

Radio programming can be tremendously picky.  I have multiple computers for the job; some things that should work, just don't.  Everyone I know of who programs radios encounters similar problems.  Radio A won't program on computer A, even though many identical radios do.  But radio A works great on computer B, even with all the same settings, same adapters, same cables, etc.  That's part of the reason I've looked to Windows 7, to explore reliability with radio applications.  Plus I'm just plain curious and like to tinker.   :D

wuzafuzz

I finally got around to trying CAP radio programming in Windows 7.  Trying this required upgrading to Windows 7 Professional to get the compatibility modes, and adding a serial port card in the computer.  Then I tried to read my EFJ 5317.

The verdict?  It didn't work. 

From what I gather so far, Compatibility Mode only helps the software.  The software still won't successfully talk to 64 bit hardware drivers.  On the first attempt at 9600 baud the radio did know a read attempt was in progress, but the software says "Communication problem during upload."  Later attempts at 19200 baud caused the radio to briefly display "upload" followed immediately by "power down."  Same results at higher speeds.

Unless anyone out there has other ideas, this is a dead end.  Perhaps there will be 64 bit software one of these days.

Al Sayre

I gave  up on win 7 & XP and flogged a couple of old Win 95 machines we still had in the supply room back to life.  That's all we use them for, but they work like champs.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

wuzafuzz

Quote from: Al Sayre on October 17, 2010, 03:02:31 PM
I gave  up on win 7 & XP and flogged a couple of old Win 95 machines we still had in the supply room back to life.  That's all we use them for, but they work like champs.
Old iron gets the job done!