official "I'm here!" thread.

Started by whatevah, March 24, 2005, 04:52:08 AM

THRAWN

Quote from: zrcook on August 19, 2015, 08:11:43 PM
Cadet AMN Ravlin is here!!

It's about time. We've been waiting for you, padawan.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

C/SrA Ravlin

Cadet SrA Ravlin
Cadet Communications NCO
Boise RMR-ID-073
"Semper Vigilans"
www.gocivilairpatrol.com
www.boisecap.org

spacer

Hello! New member from central Al.

bpfoltz

Hi there.  A new Senior Member here, was a cadet back in the 90's.  Looking forward to getting back into CAP!

C/CMSgt Allen

I am not new in the program but I am new to this site! Hello everyone!

Walker

Hello everybody,
My name's Nate, and I got my confirmation email from NHQ yesterday. I'm from Northern California, now part of Composite Squadron 157.
SM Nate Walker

ALSE Collector

Hy everybody!  Was in CAP in the mid 1970's for about four years.  We ate C-rations and packed them in our rucks for SAR.  Now I just teach survival skills and collect "Aircrew Survival Kits, Components, Vests, and Tools" from the Cold War thru today.  I have a ton of stuff.  If people are interested I will start to show pictures of the aforementioned items. I've tested most of the gear myself in inclement weather so I know what works well and what doesn't work so well.

Holding Pattern

Quote from: ALSE Collector on February 07, 2016, 12:29:32 AM
Hy everybody!  Was in CAP in the mid 1970's for about four years.  We ate C-rations and packed them in our rucks for SAR.  Now I just teach survival skills and collect "Aircrew Survival Kits, Components, Vests, and Tools" from the Cold War thru today.  I have a ton of stuff.  If people are interested I will start to show pictures of the aforementioned items. I've tested most of the gear myself in inclement weather so I know what works well and what doesn't work so well.

Yes, you should definitely start a picture thread.

Spam

Quote from: Starfleet Auxiliary on February 07, 2016, 12:45:40 AM
Quote from: ALSE Collector on February 07, 2016, 12:29:32 AM

Yes, you should definitely start a picture thread.

Welcome, ALSE!

I'm interested too. Suggest in the "tools of the trade" section, or more properly in the history one?

I've fond C rats memories myself: of slicing my fingers opening green cans with my trusty P38, and nibbling gritty bread and dense crackers with oily PBJ on it, of dubiously dented pear and peach tins, and thick round hard chocolate bricks with nuts. Pouring kerosene into a can to light as a field expedient coffee stove... yum...

V/R
Spam

BHeck73

Hi, I am here!!

I am a former cadet (3/88 to 9/94, Mitchell 90, Earhart 91, Phase IV (Eaker now) 92. COS 91, ATCFC 92, IACE 93).

I have since returned to the program this last September. Just dropping in to say hi. Looking forward to some interesting discussions. I am training up for ES (including Squadron ES Officer) and am functioning as Assistant DCC. Looking forward to some interesting reading here.

SBSpangler

Greetings all,

well I finally joined the forums. Former Eaker Cadet (cert number 0) and now in my second term as a senior member. Currently serving as both Squadron Commander for a middle school unit, advisor to DCC at local Composite unit, and Group CAC Senior Advisor.
Capt, CAP
Commander
Marion County Composite  Squadron (SER-FL-361)
SFC, USA

Raikkonen

Hello all.  New to the site.  Kinda new to CAP.  I was on active duty for 14 years.  I spent my first 6 years in the Air Force and then did the blue to green program and spent the next 8 in the Army.  Deployed to Afghanistan and couple times and came back.  The Army wouldn't give me a commission since I had sleeves (tattoo policy was still in effect) so back to the Air Force I went as a Reservist.  Now I work for Raytheon as a project manager and do my one weekend a month / two weeks a year to collect those retirements when I'm 65.  I joined a Composite Squadron about 8 months ago because I really enjoy training and mentoring future leaders and being able to keep my flight hours up for free is a nice added bonus.  I'm assigned as an Aerospace Education Officer for AZ-046 and I'm currently in the online version of SLS so I'm looking forward to that next step.  I've been lurking around the forum for a while and decided to join.  Nice to meet you all!

ALSE Collector

OK, I guess I will start showing items.  Is there any category in particular you want me to start out with Gentlemen?

Pylon

Quote from: ALSE Collector on February 11, 2016, 09:32:07 PM
OK, I guess I will start showing items.  Is there any category in particular you want me to start out with Gentlemen?

ALSE, sounds like an interesting collection. You may want to post them in a thread in the CAPTalk "Tools of the Trade" subforum: http://captalk.net/index.php?board=21.0
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

etodd

I'm new to CAP, as a 60 year old SM. Looking for ways to help. 800 hour private pilot starting work on getting Mission Pilot status in the new plane with G1000.  Interested in getting young folks involved, and have brought two new Cadets into the Squadron in the last month (kids of friends). Being a rebel I don't care about the rank/grades and uniform side of it all. I'll be happy to just wear the corporate shirt and stay a basic SM. (Would prefer blue jeans and t-shirt. LOL)
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

SarDragon

Welcome aboard. Always glad to see a new face, and even better that you are bringing in younger folks.  8)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

ColonelJack

Quote from: etodd on February 28, 2016, 04:12:18 AM
I'm new to CAP, as a 60 year old SM. Looking for ways to help. 800 hour private pilot starting work on getting Mission Pilot status in the new plane with G1000.  Interested in getting young folks involved, and have brought two new Cadets into the Squadron in the last month (kids of friends). Being a rebel I don't care about the rank/grades and uniform side of it all. I'll be happy to just wear the corporate shirt and stay a basic SM. (Would prefer blue jeans and t-shirt. LOL)

You, sir, are a heretic!  And it is wonderful to have you with us, both in CAP and here on CAPTalk.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

etodd

Second post to explain myself a little better since a few folks are already jumping on me. LOL

Yes, I'm a new guy here. Turned 60 last month and have been flying off and on since 1976 and just pushed over 800 hours. Partially make my living in aerial photography ( the rest is various types of marketing). I enjoy taking my kids and now my grandkids flying. A couple of the grandkids are showing interest in learning to fly one day. That will be an exciting time if they do.

My airport was in its heyday back in the 70s and 80s when it comes to having an airport 'community'. Before the fences went up. When kids on bicycles or college students driving, could come by the airport and actually see planes up close and talk with the hangar flyers who were ever present.  I miss those days and hope to see them return. I'm trying to get involved more to see what I can do. So I'm joining all the groups who stay on 'their side' of the airport, with the idea of maybe, just maybe, I can help get them talking with each other again.

And most importantly, how can I get more young folks interested in flying to replace our dwindling numbers of GA pilots?

I joined the very small local EAA group. They don't have a lot of activity but do try to provide Eagle Flights for kids at least twice a year.

The AOPA Airport Support Network Volunteer stepped down after many years, so I'm now filling that spot.

And yes, I joined CAP a few months ago and have been checked out in the G1000 and I'm a Transport Mission Pilot and Cadet O-Flight pilot and working toward Mission Pilot. Two of my wife's friends had kids that perked up when I told them about the Cadet program, and they have joined. So I'm feeling good and hope to add more over time. I have access to an organization of kids that many would benefit from the Cadet program.

When EAA has its next Young Eagles Day .... I'll make sure we have the CAP Cadets there helping to marshal the planes and talk to the younger kids. It'll be great marketing for both organizations. EAA gets the kids early and can feed them into CAP when they turn 12.  My mission accomplished when these things happen.

Yes, I would like to fly actual SAR Sorties at some point and help. Yes, I will love taking Cadets on their first flights. I will help in any way my Squadron asks me to.

But I am a Senior Member in grade, rank or whatever you want to call it, and will always be this level. I have no interest in wearing anything other than the polo shirt corporate uniform, and have no interest in badges, ribbons, certificates, etc.  Those are great for the ones who work hard to earn them and I highly respect those folks.  But for me ... my reward is when I walk into a Cadet meeting and see the two new faces I helped to recruit. I'm happy.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Garibaldi

Don't worry about getting jumped on so much. Everyone goes through it and it only hurts for a minute. People on the internet grow a pair larger than they are sometimes. Welcome to CAP.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

bjf_55

I figured since I've moved from lurker to poster I'd better introduce myself, my name is Brian. Next month I'll have been in CAP for 22 years and started out as a cadet in the program at 13 years old. As a cadet I made it into the consolation club (Eaker award) was active in Texas and Minnesota wings and went to NBB and IACE. I'm currently working as my wing's Deputy Director of Cadet Programs and support my local squadron. When I first made the transition to the dark side I was into ES, the Cadet Programs and did a stint as a Squadron Commander. Now I only work in Cadet Programs as I see it as the best return of my investment of time and efforts. My goal in CAP is to give back to the Cadet Program, as I sure got allot out of it as a kid.

I've enjoyed lurking and reading all of the interesting information on this site. I don't plan to be a super poster but will try to contribute as I see fit. Thanks.