Main Menu

Senior Member Bernie F. Treat

Started by ironputts, April 06, 2023, 01:29:59 AM

ironputts

April 5, 2023

Senior Member Bernie F. Treat
Yakima Composite Squadron
Washington Wing

It is with remarkable sadness that the family of Bernie Frank Treat, of Selah, Washington announces his passing, at the age of 70, on Monday February 13, 2023, at Yakima Valley Memorial Hospital. Bernie was born on May 17, 1952, in Massena, New York, to Evelyn Amelia (Laraby) Treat. In the Spring of 1957, Evelyn met the love of her life Merle Albert Treat. Shortly after, they were married and headed west to Yakima, Washington. (Where Merles family resided) It is there that they raised their three children, Cherry, Terry, and Bernie. Bernie met his wife Marjean (Jennie), fell in love, and they were married in 1972. They shared three children, Russell, Adam, and Rebecca.
Bernie F. Treat served honorably in the United States Air Force, working as a Communications Technician and Air Traffic Controller. He had a long and extensive career in Commercial Radio Stations, where he worked as a DJ for Radio Stations in Wenatchee and Yakima. He built a radio station from the ground-up and served as the Program Director for the KUTI radio station in Yakima, Washington. Bernie was an avid Amateur Radio Operator with the Callsign WA7AAX, and he held a General Class License, often working as the Net Control Station, for the Western Country Cousins Radio Net. Bernie F. Treat also served as the Squadron Commander for the Yakima Composite Squadron of the Civil Air Patrol, the United States Air Force Auxiliary. He advanced the CAPs Missions of Emergency Services, Aerospace Education, and the Cadet Program. Bernie was a pilot, and learned to fly from Aviation Pioneer, Charlie McAllister, at the McAllister Flying School on Yakima Airport. Bernie enjoyed flying his own aircraft, talking with friends on the W7AQ Yakima Ham Radio Net, building and flying Remote Control Aircraft, and was a huge fan of Star Trek (the original series, of course!). He was always available to share his profound knowledge of radio, aviation, and engineering with anyone who wanted to learn.
Bernie met his wife Sherry Sue (Gregory) Treat in January of 1979. Sherry shared that she fell deeply in love with Bernie. She explained they were brought together through their love for music. Bernie was able to secure his second date with Sherry by playing one of her original songs on the radio station. They were married on October 26, 1979. Bernie and Sherry shared five children together, Jamie, Lacey, Marcy, Toby, and Amy. Sherry has included the song they enjoyed listening to together was Spirit in the Sky by Norman Greenbaum: When I die and they lay me to rest, gonna go to the place thats the best, When I lay me down to die, Goin up to the spirit in the sky, Goin up to the spirit in the sky, Thats where I am gonna go when I die, When I die and they lay me to rest, Gonna go to the place thats the best. Prepare yourself you know its a must, Gotta have a friend in Jesus, So you know that when you die, hes gonna recommend you, To the spirit in the sky.
Greg Putnam, Lt. Col., CAP