CAPF40 For a promotion board?

Started by Holding Pattern, May 31, 2019, 06:39:54 PM

Holding Pattern

I'm hoping to get some guidance on the subject of promotion boards. I've been asked to submit a CAPF40 to a promotion board in advance of my meeting with them.

As the guidance on the CAPF40 specifically states it is for feedback between 2 officers, I have strong concerns about sharing that information with an entire promotion board. I went to look to the primary regulation for guidance only to find out the regulation referenced on the forms page for CAPF40 has no reference to the form.

I may have missed the reference, but if it is no longer there then I believe the form needs to be removed IAW CAPR 1-2, which states that all forms must be prescribed in a directive publication. (8.4, 8.4.1)

Gunsotsu

Unless the promotion board can direct you to either a CAPR, or wing supplement authorizing such, you are not required to produce any documentation to a promotion board. CAPR 35-5 lists no such requirements.

"1.10. Promotion Boards.

1.10.1. The commander at each echelon will appoint a promotion board to consider all promotion and
demotion actions and make recommendations to the promoting authority. The promotion board will
consist of at least three members. The chairman of the promotion board should be equal to or higher
than the highest grade being recommended. If an NCO promotion is under consideration, recommend at
least one senior NCO be on the board. Appointment to promotion boards will be reflected by appropriate
personnel authorizations. The board is responsible for considering all pertinent information pertaining to
promotion actions and ensuring that the member being considered for promotion meets the minimum
eligibility requirements. The promotion board should meet frequently enough to assure timely
consideration of recommendations received. The board may meet in person, telephonically or by
electronic means. The action by the promotion board will be in the form of a recommendation to the
approving authority as to whether the promotion or demotion should be approved or disapproved."

Eclipse

Just as cadets are to have a CAPF 60-9x conference at least once per phase, Senior members are supposed to
get annual CAPF 40's.  With that said, I have been in since 1991 and have never had one, and I think I
have performed less then 5.

You, as a member, aren't required to produce anything for the promotion board. Anything relevent to
your promotion is already in eservices or your personnel file.

The board may review your eServices records (MSR), your personnel file, and certainly your
most recent F40s would be fair game (all under the "all pertinent information" verbiage quoted above).

The F40s are supposed to be value-add like SUIs, and not promotion gotchas, (they are done properly
about as often), but with that said, they certainly would not be a secret from a promo board positive or negative
since they only contain information pertinent to your CAP service, which obviously is relevent.

The reality is, if it's positive, the member isn't going to care, and if it was neutral to negative, the member shouldn't
even be in consideration for promotion.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: Holding Pattern on May 31, 2019, 06:39:54 PM
As the guidance on the CAPF40 specifically states it is for feedback between 2 officers, I have strong concerns about sharing that information with an entire promotion board.

The referenced text...
"Performance feedback is a private, formal communication one officer uses to tell another officer what is expected
regarding duty performance and how well the officer is meeting those expectations. "

...does not turn the F40 into a confidential document, never to be seen by anyone but those "two" in the room.
It sets the generic expectation for the use of the form, nothing more, and the form, along with any remedial
requirements or "next steps" feedback become part of the personnel file, not a secret.

In fact any CC with common sense would not sit down 1-on-1 with another member to give negative feedback,
and that goes doubly if it is a male CC and a female subordinate.  He's just asking for trouble if the message is
not received properly.

The form is referenced in the UCC, annual use is considered a best practice, and you will get nowhere with
an argument that if it's not in a reg you can't use it.  At least a standard form keeps all parties on the proper track.

"That Others May Zoom"

Lord of the North

Quote from: Eclipse on May 31, 2019, 07:51:25 PM
Just as cadets are to have a CAPF 60-9x conference at least once per phase, Senior members are supposed to
get annual CAPF 40's.  With that said, I have been in since 1991 and have never had one, and I think I

What is the cite for the annual CAPF 40 for senior members?

Lord of the North

Reference CAPR 35-5:
1.1. General.  Criteria for promotion of CAP active  members (as defined in CAPR 39-2, paragraph 3-1a),  will be applied uniformly throughout Civil Air Patrol.  CAP unit supplements to this regulation in the form of publications or oral instructions that change the basic policies, criteria, procedures and practices prescribed herein are prohibited

Since neither CAPR 35-5 nor CAPR 39-2 require a CAPF 40 for promotions.

Eclipse

Quote from: Lord of the North on May 31, 2019, 11:48:41 PM

What is the cite for the annual CAPF 40 for senior members?

The UCC for starters.

"That Others May Zoom"

coudano

They are required for progression in the Command Specialty track, CAPP 222.

Eclipse

Quote from: Lord of the North on May 31, 2019, 11:52:20 PM
Reference CAPR 35-5:
1.1. General.  Criteria for promotion of CAP active  members (as defined in CAPR 39-2, paragraph 3-1a),

There is no 39-2 3-1a in the current rev, however the nearest thing simply defines what an active member is,
and has nothing to do with promotions.

Quote from: Lord of the North on May 31, 2019, 11:52:20 PM
Since neither CAPR 35-5 nor CAPR 39-2 require a CAPF 40 for promotions.

Who said they were required?  They are a tool to be used as the CC sees fit, and it's a best practice to
do them annually for everyone.

What you skipped in 35-5 is the requirement to...
"2.1.1.4. Be performing in an exemplary manner"

...and the F40, along with LORs, etc., are how the promotion board would know
whether that is true.  If it's not, the member isn't eligible, regardless of TIG or PD completed.

"That Others May Zoom"

Lord of the North

Who said CAPF 40 was required for senior members?? You did, see quote below.

get annual CAPF 40's.

Someone else stated that CAPF 40 is required for progression in the Command Specialty Track and that is correct.  However, they are not required by CAP35-5 and local additions to the promotion requirements are not allowed according to CAPR 35-5 para 1.1.

Additionally, when I was working with NHQ/PD to get an operating instruction, NHQ/DP would not even allow the use of questionnaire to the promotion candidate asking such question as what are your goals in CAP or other information that is not really known about the individual.  The reason Ms Parker gave me was that was a violation of CAPR 35-5 para 1.1.

Eclipse

Where do you you see the word "required"?

Using the 40 is, again, considered a best practice.  Like many best practices., they are not required.

They are, when they exist, fair game, along with everything else in the personnel file, for consideration
by the promotion board (which is required to consider promotions).

The promo board, itself, has no authority and can't require anything.

The CC can schedule a 40 meeting anytime he wants.

"That Others May Zoom"