Main Menu

Safety Pledge

Started by Psicorp, April 05, 2007, 03:34:00 PM

Major_Chuck

First, my hats of to anyone that drives the Safety Program in their respective wings, units, etc.  Working in an emergency department I can tell you countless stories of people hurt from any number of misteps that could have been avoided.  (This is what pushed me into becoming a CAP Safety Officer and now Safety NCO for my guard unit).

I don't have an easy answer for anyone who asks "How can I make my safety program exciting?"  You can't.  People are either interested in what you're trying to teach or enlighten them on or they arn't.

What you can do: 

1.  Don't read a safety article word for word to a group.  The moment you start reading  from the script you've lost them.

2.  Use the KISS princple.  Keep it short and simple.  Chances are they will retain everything you discussed if you don't bog it down with a lot of statistics and words.  Pick a couple of statistics but give them the handout with all of the report.  If they're interested they'll read it on their own.

3.  Keep the topic relevent.  Don't talk about icing in the middle of summer. 

One summer a few years back I gave a talk on snake bites to a bunch of cadets.  Local Park Service helped me out by letting me borrow some of there 'stuffed' snakes.  Props always help.
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

ddelaney103

Quote from: mikeylikey on April 09, 2007, 11:05:45 PM
Quote from: JC004 on April 09, 2007, 05:12:44 PM
Ever since they nixed the pledge, I started putting my arm into rotating props again.   :o

How do you type? ???

Based on the prop wash, I'm guessing O POS.

Fifinella

Quote from: ddelaney103 on April 10, 2007, 02:46:58 AM
Quote from: mikeylikey on April 09, 2007, 11:05:45 PM
Quote from: JC004 on April 09, 2007, 05:12:44 PM
Ever since they nixed the pledge, I started putting my arm into rotating props again.   :o

How do you type? ???

Based on the prop wash, I'm guessing O POS.

Niiice.
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

jimmydeanno

"I pledge to use common sense." - Done.

Or

"I pledge to do what I can to make sure people and stuff don't get broke..."
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Psicorp

Okay, here it is, pending approval:

"I Pledge to foster a safe environment
to be a responsible steward of CAP resources
to report incidents and concerns promptly
and to better myself to be of service to my Country."

Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257